Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

freeatlast

Storage of gluten-free Flours

Rate this topic

With the many new gluten free choices out there, I didn't bake anything for about a year. I stored most of my flours in the refrigerator. The opened ones in an airtight container, the unopened ones in the crisper drawer. Last month, I made cheese biscuits and chocolate cake, both using tapioca flour. The Bob's Red Mill flour had not been opened, but was about a year old.

After the meal, I seemed to have a metallic taste in my mouth. Should I not have stored it in the crisper of the refrigerator? Or, was the tapioca contaminated for another reason? I'm completely at a loss and am wondering if I should throw out all of my gluten-free flours and start over.

Any advice would greatly help, as I have a pumpkin cake recipe I make every year that I love and would like to make it next week.

Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yikes, I wouldn't throw out all your flours!  $$$$?  I would contact each of the manufacturers and ask about their recommended storage requirements and shelf-life.  When you get the info, you could write directly on each package the exp. date (if not already there).

I can't offer personal experience because the only flour I bake with is almond flour.  I get it from nuts.com and they specify right on the webpage how to best store each item and how long its shelf-life is.

Good luck and happy baking!

Join eNewsletter

The flour should be good even after a year.  It can pick up funky flavors or scents from the frig though.  Not sure how good the original packaging was that you had originally.  But when in doubt throw it out is my motto.  We get enough tummy aches as it is! 

I keep unopened Bob's in zip-lock freezer bags (we use their hot cereals).  But I keep all my grains/flours well wrapped/contained in the freezer.     They can last for years there!  Google it.  

I just baked pumpkin cranberry bread this week.  Made chocolate mayonnise cupcakes last night.  Today I am making cranberry orange coconut cookies.  I am loading up my freezer for the holidays.  gluten-free baked goods do not last on the counter.  I like my bakery items fresh.  Counter-top defrosted baked goods taste pretty darn good.  ?   Well-wrapped or stored baked  goods last about three months in the freezer.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Nuts.com only guarantees their tapioca flour for "up to 1 year" when stored in a "cool, dry place".  They state it's ok to put in the frig.  I do not know if there is something unique about their tapioca flour that requires this exp. dating?  Like I said, I have never used it.  They do not mention anything about freezing; so I can't comment.  I'm a "wimp" and always follow manufacturer's directions.  Personally, i don't have the "guts"  to deviate.  HA!

Join eNewsletter

Thank you, everyone. I think I will just replace the tapioca flour and see how that goes. If the pumpkin squares taste good, then I'll put the rest in the freezor. Good call about storing them all in the freezon. I know someone else who does the same and she says it makes all the difference.

Do you also put your gums in the freezor?

Proofreader, copy editor, herb gardener and an evolving gluten-free cook.

Had a reaction to wheat, oats, rye, and barley in a lab test done by a homeopathic doctor in 1997. Have been mostly gluten-free since then. Also highly allergic to MSG.

Here's a quote I ran across when researching self-advocacy for children with special needs that I like: "Our subconscious picks up on each positive action we take on our own behalf, lifting the spirit and deepening our self-respect." Kat James

Join eNewsletter

1 hour ago, freeatlast said:

Thank you, everyone. I think I will just replace the tapioca flour and see how that goes. If the pumpkin squares taste good, then I'll put the rest in the freezor. Good call about storing them all in the freezon. I know someone else who does the same and she says it makes all the difference.

Do you also put your gums in the freezor?

Yes. Gums in the freezer.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

On November 21, 2015 at 2:31:21 PM, cyclinglady said:

The flour should be good even after a year.  It can pick up funky flavors or scents from the frig though.  Not sure how good the original packaging was that you had originally.  But when in doubt throw it out is my motto.  We get enough tummy aches as it is! 

I keep unopened Bob's in zip-lock freezer bags (we use their hot cereals).  But I keep all my grains/flours well wrapped/contained in the freezer.     They can last for years there!  Google it.  

I just baked pumpkin cranberry bread this week.  Made chocolate mayonnise cupcakes last night.  Today I am making cranberry orange coconut cookies.  I am loading up my freezer for the holidays.  gluten-free baked goods do not last on the counter.  I like my bakery items fresh.  Counter-top defrosted baked goods taste pretty darn good.  ?   Well-wrapped or stored baked  goods last about three months in the freezer.  

Cranberry orange?  Would you please share that recipe????

Join eNewsletter

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Join eNewsletter