Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Golan

Gluten Free Restaurants NYC

Rate this topic

Hi,

I'm trying to collect recommendations of restaurants and places that you had visited and enjoyed a really good gluten free food/service in New York City.

I would really appreciate if you could write me your recommendations.

Please let me know if it was totally gluten free or it may have traces of gluten.

Thanks a lot :)

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I know there are a few completely gluten-free restaurants and bakeries.  You might try googling " gluten free New York".  Also, check the website " find me gluten free".  You can read reviews and find places that you can investigate further.

Join eNewsletter

I've spent a fair amount of time in NYC, and here is the list I have compiled. The restaurants with stars are the ones that I feel completely safe eating at (I am an incredibly sensitive celiac, and also avoid casein and soy). 

Italian

·      Don Antonio by Starita (Italian, UWS, lunch/dinner, $$$) www.donantoniopizza.com

·      ***Bistango (Italian, Midtown-East and UES, brunch/lunch/dinner, $$$) www.bistangonyc.com

·      Nino’s 46 (Italian, Midtown-East, brunch/lunch/dinner, $$$$) www.ninos46.com

·      Nizza (Italian, Midtown-West, brunch/lunch/dinner, $$) www.nizzanyc.com

·      ***Senza Gluten (Italian, G-Village, lunch/dinner, $$$$) www.senzaglutennyc.com [100% gluten-free]

·      ***Risotteria (Italian, G-Village/UWS, $$$) www.risotteria.com

·      ***Wild (Italian, W-Village, brunch/lunch/dinner. $$) www.eatdrinkwild.com [nearly 100% gluten-free]

·      ***Pala Pizza (Italian, E-Village, lunch/dinner $$$) www.palapizza.com

·      ***Risotteria Melotti (Italian, E Village, lunch/dinner, $$$) www.risotteriamelottinyc.com [100% gluten-free]

Chinese

·      Lilli and Loo/Lili’s 57 (Chinese/Sushi, Midtown-East and UES, lunch/dinner, $$) www.lilliandloonyc.com

Mexican

·      Toloache (Mexican, W-Village and Midtown-West and UES, brunch/lunch/dinner, $$) www.toloachenyc.com

·      ***Taquitoria (Taquitos, LES, lunch/dinner, $) www.taquitoria.com [100% gluten-free]

·     

American

·      ***Friedman’s/Friedman’s Lunch (American, Herald Square and Hell’s Kitchen and Chelsea and Columbia, brunch/lunch/dinner, $$) www.friedmansrestaurant.com

·      Gustorganics (Vegan, LWS, brunch/lunch/dinner, $$) www.gustorganics.com

·      ***Colors Restaurant NYC (American/seasonal/local, E-Village, Sunday brunch, dinner, $$$) www.colorsrestaurantNYC.com [100% gluten-free]

·      The Counter (Burgers/fries, Times Square, lunch/dinner, $$) www.thecounterburger.com

·      Bareburger (Burgers/fries, several, lunch/dinner, $$) www.bareburger.com

French

·      Crepes du Nord (Crepes, Financial District, $$) www.crepesdunord.com

Cafés

·      ***Hu Kitchen (American, Union Square, casual/to-go, $$) www.hukitchen.com [nearly 100% gluten-free]

·      The Little Beet (American, Midtown-West, casual/to-go, $$)

·      Melt Shop (Sandwiches, Hell’s Kitchen and Midtown-West and Financial District and Flatiron, breakfast/lunch/dinner, $)

·      S’mac (Mac and Cheese, Murray Hill and E-Village, casual/to-go, $) www.smacnyc.com

·      Eight Turn Crepe (Japanese creperie, Soho, causal, $) www.eightturncrepe.com

Bakeries [all 100% gluten-free]

·      Tatz Gourmet Sweetz (UWS, bakery) www.tatznyc.com

·      TuLu’s Gluten Free Bakery (E-Village, breakfast/lunch/dessert) www.tu-lusbakery.com

·      Erin McKenna’s Bakery (E-Village, bagels/bakery) www.erinmckennasbakery.com [my favorite]

·      Tompkins Square Bagels (E-Village, breakfast/brunch/bagels) www.tompkinssquarebagels.com

·      Jennifer’s Way Bakery (E-Village [also can shop online], bagels/bread/bakery) www.jenniferswaybakery.com

·      By the Way Bakery (UWS, bakery) www.btwbakery.com

Join eNewsletter

Wow, EJReeves, what a comprehensive list.

I'll add that I think the Little Beet has opened another branch or two - totally gluten-free.  I didn't know that I could eat at The Melt Shop, so I will definitely look into that.

I'll also recommend this place called Arte'pizza or something like that on W. 55th just East of Sixth Ave/Ave. of the Americas.  It's a bit fancier, but they have a delicious thin crust gluten free pizza and seem to know their stuff.  

I feel pretty safe at 5 Napkin Burger (though I don't bother with the bun) and their sister restaurant, Nice Matin on the UWS.

Also, on the UWS, Parm has at least one very good salad with chicken, and gluten free pasta - their answers to my many questions are always knowledgeable.  I eat there frequently, with no issues.  Papardella has Gluten Free pasta and Gluten Free garlic bread.

On the Upper East Side, there's a little cafe called Dulce Vida on Lexington and 82nd that has wonderful gluten free empanadas along with Colombian entrees.  The servers are hit and miss with answers, but I think the owners are very gluten-free conscious.

Join eNewsletter

Just returned from NYC a few days ago. We enjoyed eating at Pie by the Pound (4th Avenue between 12th and 13th Street) The pizza was good. Fun atmosphere. Nothing fancy. The most exciting thing for me was the beer selection. I've never seen 10-15 gluten-free brands to choose from in a restaurant! The website has an impressive gluten-free section, explaining celiac and intolerance (piebythepound.com) and I believe the owner is gluten-intolerant. 

My two Celiac children have been gluten-free since their diagnosis, about 10 years ago. I'm just now discovering and dealing with my own intolerances. As knowledgeable as I am about Celiac and with all my experience with gluten free travel, I'm amazed how difficult (still doable!) it is when you are the person with a special diet. I must have told my kids a hundred times recently how proud I am of them and the way they navigate gluten-free situations. When my doctor said no gluten, dairy or eggs, I would've panicked, had I not had experience with gluten-free diet. 

Having said that, there IS a tiny, but irritating difference with changing your diet as an adult, trying to eat in a restaurant... While I'm happy to feel better and healthier than I've ever been, I find that I'm more eager to find restaurants that provide substitutes for the food I've eaten for over 40 years. I now understand the disappointment you feel when a restaurant (or reviewers for that matter) publish "gluten-free food!" and you arrive to find out they've limited the menu to a few items that don't contain gluten, in the first place. I guess part of the game is the usual extra research of calling ahead and looking at the online menu.

If anyone has other strategies or verbiage they use when working with a restaurant, I'd welcome advice!

Join eNewsletter