Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raywuwei

What is making me sick??

For the first time since going gluten free about three years ago, I am living with a roommate who often eats bread (sandwiches, toast, pizza, etc). It has been really difficult but I didn't want to say no to the living situation when I know other celiacs live with gluten eating roommies. 

Through trial and error we have now started using seperate sponges, have seperate sides of the sink, and seperate dishes. In a fit of frustration that I was feeling sick I put her toaster and a terrifyingly crumb-laiden piece of tinfoil (which she heats pizza on and leaves in the oven) into a paper bag for her to store until I can move out in about 6 months.

Basically, even though we are being "safe" to the point where she think I am NUTS I have been constantly sick since moving in. Like, D so bad that I am tearing when I go to the bathroom multiple times a week, bloating every couple of days. My question is, is there possibly some other thing that is making me sick?? Do people have cross sensitivity to eggs? I am feeling horrible today and all I have had to eat is: corn chex with milk, Pamela's gluten-free brownies cooked with one egg, and happy campers bread with a fried egg and cheddar cheese. Is dairy possibly doing this to me??

I should be in to see a doctor soon, but I would love to hear anyone's thoughts about A) What else gives you symptoms similar to glutening and B ) Do you think it is really possible to have gluten eating roommate (who can be pretty messy) and not get sick from them?

4/25/12 tTG blood work tested at >200

5/11/12 Endoscopy confirmed scalloped Duodenum

Gluten Free since 5/11/12

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am so sorry that you are in a situation living with a roommate who is not considerate!  Yes, you could be getting glutened.  Can you see your GI and get another celiac test to see if gluten is actually your problem?  When I was glutened on 7/7/2015, 30 days later, my celiac antibodies were as high as they had been when I was first diagnosed.  Everything, even safe food, hurt to digest.  My GI thought I might have SIBO, but it was simply gluten!  It took two months to feel better and another month to get back dairy.  Yes, I became lactose intolerant again!  That was a really a bummer!  I also picked up a new illness (rashes, hives and intestinal pain).  So that initial glutening and probably another few while on vacation, Set off a celiac autoimmune response and triggered a new illness!   I have no clue (but a few suspects) as to what glutened me to this day!  (I am not even going to test my theories either! 

I hope you can manage for another six months!  Good luck and feel better soon!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed