Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
JaneWhoLovesRain

Gluten free Chex granola mix

Rate this topic

I'm wondering if anyone has found they have a problem with this granola.  I was happy to find this as it is a good dollar or two less expensive than other brands and it tastes great.  But starting a day or two after my first serving of it my intestines are totally messed up.  It says "gluten free" but nowhere do I see where it says "certified" or that little picutre of wheat with a red line through it.

Jane

I have come to feeling that a product that says Gluten Free but is not Certified Gluten Free is as good (or bad) as a product that does not say Gluten Free at all.

There are a number of products that I have tried that say Gluten Free, and usually the major brands, Hellman's Mayonnaise for example, says Gluten Free but I get symptoms. Hagen Dais ice cream, says Gluten Free, but I get symptoms.

Probably a mix of ignorance and cross-contamination at play with these scenarios and probably the case with what you mentioned. 

Have you been keeping up with the General Mills Cherrios saga?  Oats are often rotated/ grown in barley fields.  Most celiacs will not react to oats but the chances of cross contamination are  due to the growing and harvesting methods.  General Mills suppliers mechanically sort the oats.  Read about it here:

https://www.glutenfreewatchdog.org/news/gluten-free-cheerios-take-two/

like I said,  some celiacs react to any kind of oats, even certified ones for various reasons:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/do-oats-contain-gluten

The Chex gluten-free granola may very well have the same issues as Cherrios since it is another General Mills product.  We do eat Chex corn or rice cereal and have been fine. But those are single ingredients and are processed in a different and dedicated facility.  

We only buy gluten-free certfied oats because the final product is tested and the oats are not grown in the same fields with barley and wheat.  

6 hours ago, mhalper2000 said:

I have come to feeling that a product that says Gluten Free but is not Certified Gluten Free is as good (or bad) as a product that does not say Gluten Free at all.

There are a number of products that I have tried that say Gluten Free, and usually the major brands, Hellman's Mayonnaise for example, says Gluten Free but I get symptoms. Hagen Dais ice cream, says Gluten Free, but I get symptoms.

Probably a mix of ignorance and cross-contamination at play with these scenarios and probably the case with what you mentioned. 

I would look to other ingredients.  Intolerances can develop at anytime.  We eat Hellman's (Best Foods on the Westcoast) all the time and have never been glutened.  I can not vouch for the ice cream.  

When I first went gluten-free, I reacted to gluten-free bread. Did not bother my gluten-free hubby (14 years gluten-free) but it bothered me.  Turns out I was reacting to Xanthan Gum.  It was not a gluten issue.  ?

Read up here (FDA gov site) about gluten-free labeling:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceRegulation/GuidanceDocumentsRegulatoryInformation/Allergens/ucm367654.htm