Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

tooth_whisperer

This isn't that bad!

Rate this topic

Hi all,

I'm very early to this, don't even know if I have celiac yet but highly suspicious.  Wife and I went to Trader Joe's lastnight and I grabbed up all the gluten-free items I could get my hands on (at least of what we were shopping for).  So far the ginger snaps, brown rice and quinoa pasta, and TJ's brand sandwich bread are actually very good!  I can tell a slight difference between the gluten-free products and their regular counterparts, but I have to say, not in a bad way, just different.  They're quite tasty, and I told my wife I think I like them more in some ways.  The bread reminds me of english muffin bread, it makes great toast.  I'm sure it's not all rainbows and unicorns when it comes to substitute foods, but I'm digging it so far.

Now to call the GI's office and see how soon they can get me tested, so I can get off the G for a while and keep discovering this new food...

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

if you haven't been tested yet, you need to continue to consume gluten otherwise your test results may be incorrect.  the blood test is for detecting antibodies and if your body isn't fighting, the test won't detect any or not enough.  here is some suggested reading:

just a couple of hundred other things involved with being completely gluten free :)  lolz - welcome to the forum.

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Great advice from notme! Please be sure to follow the links contained in the Newbie 101 that notme! linked you to. You'll need to get a new toaster or toaster bags, and a new, dedicated cutting board, dedicated condiments or squeeze bottles of them all and do numerous other things. Better let your wife read it too. 

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Thank you both for the info.  I did in fact go back to eating gluten just tonight, because I am going to talk to my internist about the celiac panel tomorrow, and put myself on the cancellation call list at the GI office to try and get in sooner.  I want to get this figured out!  If I've been mostly off for 5-6 days, how long do I need to be having gluten again before I have my blood tested?

Join eNewsletter

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

Since you've only been off for 5 or 6 days & I'm betting you got cross contamination during that time then I don't think you need to go a full 12 weeks but I nor anyone else can exactly how much having been off will affect you. It's so hard to say. The thing is, you want to be SURE and don't want to ever doubt your test results. I certainly wouldn't get the panel drawn in the next week. If it were me; I wouldn't do it for a bare minimum of 3 weeks.

You can look at it this way.... you could go through Christmas & New Years pigging out on all your favorite gluen foods to say (possibly) goodbye to them forever. 

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter

2 minutes ago, squirmingitch said:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge

Since you've only been off for 5 or 6 days & I'm betting you got cross contamination during that time then I don't think you need to go a full 12 weeks but I nor anyone else can exactly how much having been off will affect you. It's so hard to say. The thing is, you want to be SURE and don't want to ever doubt your test results. I certainly wouldn't get the panel drawn in the next week. If it were me; I wouldn't do it for a bare minimum of 3 weeks.

You can look at it this way.... you could go through Christmas & New Years pigging out on all your favorite gluen foods to say (possibly) goodbye to them forever. 

Yeah, I kind of figured it's my time to go a little crazy!  Today I informed the partners at my dental practice that if my symptoms get too uncomfortable, I might need to take some time off, and they're understanding folks.  One of the things I've been most concerned about is missing work, but we have a few dollars in the bank and I think being able to relax at home and just lay down and nap when I don't feel well will make it a lot easier.  I normally work 45-50 hours a week, which was fine until discomfort and anxiety were piled on as well.

Join eNewsletter

Yep, have a last wild fling! Drink your fill of you most favorite beer. Eat those fabulous Christmas baked goods with total abandon.

It's good that your partners are on board with the fact that you may need to take time off. 

Please keep us updated on what happens.

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Join eNewsletter