Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

JennyUK

Gluten Intolerance & Thyroid Problems

Rate this topic

Hello, I'm new here so my apologies if there are already a bunch of topics on this!

I've just been diagnosed with gluten intolerance (only been off gluten for four days - currently in withdrawal hell), but the doctor thinks the constant gluten attacks on my body have resulted in thyroid problems too. I'm still waiting for the test results to come back but it seems an open and shut case based on the symptoms. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this?

Apparently I don't need any kind of medication for the thyroid prob; just cut out gluten and it will eventually be fixed.

Awesome website, by the way. After the crazy symptoms I've had while withdrawing these last few days (all the physical stuff plus major anxiety and restlessness) it's been so good to log on here and know I'm not alone!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Many of us also have thyroid issues.  My thyroid shut down about 25 years ago.  Looking back, I probably had celiacs all the way back then.  I certainly had many of the markers of celiacs disease.  If you do have to take synthroid, check out some of the online sites to make sure you get an appropriate type and dose.  Good luck.

Join eNewsletter