Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

tooth_whisperer

Other foods that commonly digestive upset with celiacs?

Rate this topic

Wondering if anyone would care to share if they had any other foods that cause problems, especially when recovering after diagnosis?  I'm not diagnosed, but went gluten-free this last week and felt a ton better from the issues I've been having.  But noticed there are still a few things that don't sit well with me.  Obviously dairy, but also cola, chocolate and other sweets, maybe coffee?  And something I ate today gave me a sore tummy, followed by bloating and gas - I had some Trader Joe's gluten-free bread, vegan split pea soup, a gluten-free rice krispy treat type bar, gluten-free ginger snaps, and yes, some chocolate.  I know that sounds like an unhealthy day's worth of food, but I've been losing so much weight I don't worry about that much.  But I've heard some people don't do well with sweets, and others with products with soy in them, especially when they're just recovering.  Any truth to those?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I went gluten free in may after my diagnosis, and in September still was still feeling awful-- feeling glutened most of the time. I gave up corn after connecting the dots to what i was eating/when symptoms started and i've now had more good feeling days than bad (though sometimes corn can hide well). Apparently corn has its own form of gluten that's  similar enough on a molecular level to wheat gluten to trigger the gluten response in some celiacs. 

Join eNewsletter

At this point I wouldn't be worrying about other food intolerances  (except dairy). You are most likely going through gluten withdrawal which can make you feel lousy. And on top of that, at one week in just about ANY food can make you feel sick. You might eat the exact same diet three days in a row with two days feeling fine and the other feeling sick.

For right now you should stick to plain whole foods. (Meat, cooked veggies, and fruit.) Try to stay away from spicy foods, rich sauces, sweets, and gluten-free substitutes. It took a long time to get sick and it'll take a long time to heal. Be gentle with yourself and your gut. After a few months, THEN you can start wondering about additional intolerances.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

I've found that my higher sugar days tend to be a little bit more 'triggering' than lower sugar days. I'm not sure exactly if that pertains to this, but chocolate, coffee, caffeine, dairy (of course), or higher protein without having enough veggies to go with it. I've been hardcore gluten-free for about 2 months now and really focus on reducing hard-to-digest items (like too many starches). I keep it 75% veggies to 20% meat to 5% 'other' items right now.

What's your water intake like lately too?

Join eNewsletter