Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×

Rate this topic

Hello all,

Thank you for providing a space to chat and gain support. I am hoping to learn more before my endoscopy which is this coming Wednesday.

I just received my bloodwork results. I do not have them in hand, but the gastro doctor called to inform me they were positive. He stated my celiac panel number was "163", he said he's seen higher and anything over 15 was a positive for him. 

Which number is this, the tTg? 

I would be relieved to finally get a firm diagnosis and start towards feeling better. I've always been health conscious and the diet does not worry me. I just want to feel better someday!

I also deal with severe anxiety and am in CBT. My CBT therapist has been so helpful! So that anxiety has me jumping down rabbit holes that they will find something even worse.

Thanks again and hello.

I would guess that he was referring to the tTg as that is the test that they hone in on because it measures intestinal damage.  Higher numbers on that do not necessarily correlate with more severe damage, though.

I would be willing to bet that the severe anxiety you suffer from will be greatly diminished after following the gluten-free diet for a while. Although I never suffered from anxiety before, when I am glutened now after 10 years gluten-free, guess what happens?  Anxiety!  Gluten is a brain killer!  :wacko:  You will also have to make sure that any meds you may be taking are gluten free.

You will be fine....don't worry...or at least try not to.  :)

Thank you gemini.

I'm definitely a worry wart but I am thrilled to be heading down a path to an answer. Just overwhelmed! Trying to tell myself this is the answer, nothing else. Its been a rough 2 years to go from you're perfectly healthy to random diagnosis. I dealt with a completely random anal fistula that colorectal surgeons felt was NOT related to crohns due to its presentation. Since healing from that surgery I have dealt with fissures b/c of my surgical scar tissues being sensitive. Never considered I'd be a "bum" board moderator as I am on another forum for those issues. Now I'm entering a new world of learning I think.

AND I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW GLUTEN FREE CHANGES MY ANXIETY. All caps because I am that ready. 

Thanks again for replying.

I have a world of respect for people with those kinds of problems!  It is not an easy topic to discuss, never mind have doctors poking around in your exit area.  :o  I am so sorry you have this trouble but, if you have Celiac Disease, it may help to follow the gluten-free diet.  Your whole intestinal tract, including your colon can be affected by all that inflammation so I hope this is the answer to your trouble!  Really......following the gluten-free diet is a cake walk compared to surgery on the pipes!  Best of luck to you and keep us updated!

Prior to your biopsy spend time figuring out how you need to change your diet and reorganize your kitchen etc. The more you learn about what you need to and actually figuring out what to buy instead of what you currently eat, the easier it gets. Preparation and answers to what you need to do will help you feel less anxious. All of us celiacs go through a period of feeling overwhelmed but it passes so don't worry too much.