This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Dog Treats?

hsd1203

hsd1203 Newbie

We are housetraining our new puppy and he loves to get treats for going outside... but I haven't been able to find ANY that are gluten-free and my hands are so raw from washing my hands every time I have to take him out and give him a treat (and he goes out a lot and I just know that every once in a while I'm forgetting to wash my hands and then eating something and, well, its a pretty silly reason to get sick).

So has anyone found any gluten-free dog treats that would be safe for me to handle? His food is gluten-free, which is great, but treats have been hard to find... I'll even mail order them if I have to!!

Thanks,

Heather

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

Kraft makes ones, under thier Milk Bone Brand. I dont have the package up here with me, but its thier soft chewable one... like chicken somthing or another.

BTW which food do you use? I am currently still looking for easy to get gluten-free dog food...

kevsmom Contributor

How about trying a little piece of cheese as a treat? Some dogs like carrots - you can even put a little peanut butter on it. That would totally avoid having to deal with the regular dog treat issue.

Good luck - Cindy

nettiebeads Apprentice

Or how about a cold cereal? My dogs will chow on anything that's human and I accidentally spilled some chocobursts (gluten-free) I know that dogs aren't supposed to get chocolat, but after all of the processing, I doubt that there's enough in one little piece to hurt them. Mine like carrots, cheese, and of course, deli meats. Just a little bit will do. Oh, and fruits. I had opened a can of fruit cocktail and the dogs loved the peaches.

Guest Viola

The Milk Bone ones are called Chicken Drumsticks. They are gluten free and are cheap!!!! That's a bonus. You can find them in Wal Mart and likely several other stores. Sheba loves them. The Ham and Cheese ones are gluten free too, but I think the others might not be. But Sheba's favourite are the drumsticks :lol:

I forgot, you will find them in red foil type bags, not boxes! :P

skbird Contributor

I have been buying the dehydrated chicken breasts from Costco. Perfect strip treat and you can break it up if you want. In fact, my cat loves them too so I cut a couple of them up for him and put them in his treat jar. He and the dogs almost get into a frenzy for the chicken treats, but nothing else is listed on the label so i guess there's no special addictive additives in them. :)

About $9 for a bag that lasts at least a month, for two dogs, each getting one treat a night.

Stephanie

frenchiemama Collaborator

You can get liver treats and dried beef treats (only ingredients are liver or beef) from www.drsfostersmith.com for a reasonable price. My dogs go nuts for the beef treats. Also, here is a list of fresh foods that are perfectly safe and healthy to give dogs:

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hsd1203 Newbie

thanks everyone, that really helps!!!

his food is authority (we found it at petsmart) brand large breed puppy food. it does list natural flavors that I haven't checked on but it is the dog eating it, not me, and at least the first ingredient isn't wheat!!! not sure if any of the rest of their brands are gluten-free, but I'll be looking for a gluten-free adult food in a couple of months, so when I find one I'll post that.

I'd heard of giving dogs people food treats, goodness knows that I always have fruits and veggies around. I'll have to talk to my husband about it b/c he was pretty serious about not giving the dog any people food... but I think as long as the stuff we give him is good for him he'll be ok with it. hmm.

thanks again!

Heather

• 4 years later...
princessjessie Newbie

BLUE buffalo brand is gluten free. I work at PETCO and one of the Blue Representatives told me that I could eat thier dog food if I had too- lol... plus it's human grade ingriedients-- no fillers or by-products. Very high quality.

Ahorsesoul Enthusiast

Carrots!

tarnalberry Community Regular

There are oodles of gluten free treats and foods. And puppies, btw, do not need puppy food - it's usually high enough in calories that it causes them to grow faster than they ought to, which can cause orthopaedic and metabolic issues.

Gluten free dog foods (well, grain free - there are more that have grain, but no gluten, so things like rice and corn, but dogs don't need grain at all, so I go with grain free):

Evo

Instinct

Go Natural (Grain Free)

Orijen

Taste of the Wild

Wellness Core

Acana

Before Grain

Canidae (Grain Free)

Natural Balance (Limited Ingredient Diet)

There are OODLES of gluten free dog treats, though many contain oats, and don't trust the labeling, as they mean *wheat* gluten when they say gluten free, and may still contain barley or rye. An EXCELLENT treat to use is just dried chicken. You can buy it in premade, small discs (which work great as training treats for some things (but not things like heeling, fetches, or anything you need the dog to eat quickly in small quantity). Look for ones that are *just* chicken, or salmon, or liver, or the like. There are also some biscuit type and jerky type treats that are grain free. (Really, it's easiest to look for grain free.)

A few I've used (but there are many, many more):

Open Original Shared Link (great heeling treats and other quickly eaten treats)

Open Original Shared Link (good larger, jackpot, rewards)

Open Original Shared Link (excellent training treats when the small ones are broken up or jackpot reward when they or the big ones are left whole)

Open Original Shared Link (great for cutting into sixths or eighths for training treats or whole for a jackpot)

Open Original Shared Link (dinners or treats, work FABULOUS for heeling treats)

Open Original Shared Link (EXCELLENT training treat)

Open Original Shared Link (the harder to eat, but excellent training treats. they also have sweet potato treats, chicken and sweet potato, and chicken and banana, that are a great jackpot reward when the dog has the time to eat them.)

tarnalberry Community Regular
BLUE buffalo brand is gluten free. I work at PETCO and one of the Blue Representatives told me that I could eat thier dog food if I had too- lol... plus it's human grade ingriedients-- no fillers or by-products. Very high quality.

BTW, Blue Buffalo (dry dog food) is NOT gluten free. Not the gluten free we think of. It has oats and barley grass or barley grain. Some of their canned food is gluten free.

The dog food world considers the gluten by-product of grains and wheat to be gluten. So, "Gluten Free" for dog foods does NOT mean what it does for human food. It pretty much means no gluten fillers (wheat gluten, corn gluten, etc.) and no wheat. There is OFTEN barley and/or oats in these foods.

Michelle1234 Contributor

Real Meat dog treats say Gluten Free right on the bag. They are semi-soft.

They also have a new air dried dog food that is a great size for treating.

I get them both at my local boutique (not chain) pet store. The ingredients of both are extremely high quality. Worth taking a look.

Have fun with your dog!

Archived