• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I have now had my biopsy after positive blood test results so am trying to go gluten free to start to be able to eat more than apple sauce again... I am wondering what the best resource is for listing what "regular foods" (and even hygiene products, etc.) are gluten free and which are not. I would like something to give me a starting list as I learn how to spot the not so obvious sources of gluten. Any suggestions of books, mail order lists, internet downloads, etc. would be great! Thanks!

Hi. My son was diagnosed just 3 months ago. It hasn't been easy, but this site has made life bearable again. I haven't bought any lists yet, but I have bought cookbooks. I bought all of Bette Hagman's cookbooks, and they were okay. Her bean flour breads have a wonderful consistency but a horrible flavor. So we just buy our breads from Kinnickinnick. I've yet to find a good commercial bread mix for the expensive bread mix we invested in. I am very pleased, however, with Annalise Roberts' cookbook. Her recipes are so fantastic that they even appear in Gourmet Magazine. Just made her chocolate chip cookies (which Gourmet Magazine praised highly) and I've gotta tell you, there's no way you can distinguish these from regular Toll House cookies! Good luck!

hkenner-

there are several lists around. one is the delphi forum list, compiled by fellow celiacs. you can view their gluten-free food lists here: http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mb/list.a...&cacheTag=x46-0 i will say i often double check the items on this list myself...but it serves as a good guide. i printed this list off and put in a binder i keep at home.

another list is the clan thompson food list. it is a software you purchase and you install on your computer or palm pilot. it is updated with new products every few months. this list has been well worth it for me, b/c it is on my palm pilot, i have it wherever i go, and it has come in handy MANY times at the grocery store. you can download a demo if you just want to try it first. view it here: http://www.clanthompson.com/prod_catalog.php3

there is also the list that CSA puts out. i honestly never purchased that one, so someone else can speak to that...

:)