Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

cristiana

Long Term Iron Supplementation for Women?

Rate this topic

I hope you all had a good Christmas.

For the girls.

A couple of months ago I had to have blood test to see if I was anemic.  My blood iron which was just over 40 in April 2014 has now halved.  

About six months before my DX in 2013 I was put onto some pretty heavy-duty iron tablets for at that stage unexplained anemia.  This supplementation caused diarrhea and I bled (fissures, nothing more sinister) so was moved onto a much reduced dosage.  I found it was then causing me constipation so only took it now and again.  As I was so half-hearted taking it I concluded that it was probably going up because I was healing, thus stopped taking it all together.

My last blood test was requested by my doctor following a terrible period which was more like a haemorrhage.  Sorry for TMI.  

Ladies, could one incident of terrible blood loss cause my levels to drop?   Thankfully it seems to have been a one off, and nothing untoward was found in the scans.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My ferritin level went down from the high I had achieved after months from 26 (I think it was) down to 16 after one extremely heavy 2 week cycle.  I do think that one cycle can throw the iron off a lot.  My doctors have been watching my levels closely every 2 months recently.  I have dealt with some kind of hormonal imbalance.  I am considering with my doctors whether H-pylori may be playing a part in this.  I know my magnesium, vitamin B, and iron levels are high need.  I had already been checked for issues relating to uterus and female issues and found to have fibroids.  I hope this helps.

Join eNewsletter

Yes!  Iron levels can drop fast in just a month per my doctor.  The key is how fast your body is able to recover. Amazingly, it can but some things like intestinal damage from celiac disease or heavy-long periods from hypothyroidism or other fluctuating hormones can prevent recovery (iron absorption).    Personally, I dealt with 30 day periods, undiagnosed celiac disease and thalassemia all at the same time.  I was an anemic mess.  But after going gluten-free, my thyroid calming down (Hashi's) and going through the menopause window, solved my anemia.  I still have Thals, but I have had that all my life and my body has adjusted.  My ferritin has been documented as low as a 2 but is now a healthy 50. I no longer take any iron supplements (stopped six months after my celiac disease diagnosis).  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thanks so much - v. informative.   I guess it would have been easier to know if malabsorption of iron was the principal problem behind my lower levels if I hadn't had these 'womens issues'.  I am taking some gluten-free Floradix every day now until my next blood test in about 25 days.  It will be interesting to see if it is a bit better by then.  

My aunt who has had colon cancer said her tumor made her anemic which worried me as pain was her only symptom - typical of me to think the worst and apply her story to mine.  She is fine now, glad to say.   However I started to wonder if the bad time I had a couple of months ago could cause a sudden drop or if it was something more sinister.  I must admit I felt terribly dizzy and weak for several days after that episode. 

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter