Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

txplowgirl

Is There Gluten In Levothyroxin?

Rate this topic

I was put on Levothyroxin around Thanksgiving due to finding out I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I read somewhere that Levo has gluten in it. Does anyone know if that's correct. I have actually felt worse ever since taking it.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I don't think levothyroxine contains gluten, but it does contain lactose and I believe a lot of people with celiac disease is lactose intolerant. I had the same issue as you and found the ingredients listed in the information leaflet in the packet, so maybe check your leaflet to see what the ingredients are. I just had to introduce my levothyroxine really slowly like 25mcg every other day to begin with, then built it up slowly,this really helped.

Join eNewsletter

You would definitely want to check with the manufacturer.  Each one uses different fillers.  When are you scheduled to have your levels rechecked?   It should be 6-8 weeks after starting the med.  What dose did they start you on?  It can take some time to get the thyroid levels dialed in correctly.   It definitely takes a lot of patience.  I hope you feel better soon!

January 2014-Celiac

August 2014- Hashimoto's

"You never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice."

Bob Marley

Join eNewsletter

41 minutes ago, icelandgirl said:

You would definitely want to check with the manufacturer.  Each one uses different fillers.  When are you scheduled to have your levels rechecked?   It should be 6-8 weeks after starting the med.  What dose did they start you on?  It can take some time to get the thyroid levels dialed in correctly.   It definitely takes a lot of patience.  I hope you feel better soon!

I am supposed to have a check up in another 2 weeks to see how it's working. Dr. started me on a low dose of 25, then she will up to 75 and so on.

Thanks for that link StephanieL, I will definitely check that out.

And Molly, yes, I am lactose intolerant so that may explain it. Thanks everyone.

Lupus, Connective Tissue Disease with Fibro type symptoms, Anemia, Anxiety, Depression, RA, Rynauds Syndrome, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Erosive Gastritis, Osteoporosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Scoliosis, Bulging discs in lower back and neck, Pinched Nerves.

Soy free, MSG free, mostly Dairy free. Endoscopy shows blunted Villi which dr states as gluten sensitivity, so goin back to being gluten free

Join eNewsletter