Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Bessielad18

I'm 18 and just been diagnosed

Rate this topic

I'm from the uk and recently been diagnosed with celiac disease I'm just abit unsure about it all because I've had wheat all my life and now just one blood test found out that i had it. I was just wondering if the more I cut gluten out my diet do I become more sensitive and will I need cut products out which of been on the same production line as gluten?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to the forum!  Here is a link to our Newbie 101 section that you may find useful:

As far as shared manufacturing lines, I personally tend to avoid them.  The risk is not worth it.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Hi, I'm also from the UK. The above links are very useful for newly diagnosed coeliacs but if you join Coeliac UK, you will also get a lot of help which is more relevant to UK and Europe. (e.g. Shopping for food and restaurants etc., as the laws have recently changed regarding food labelling and eating out in restaurants, fast food places and other things). Membership is free for the first six months after joining, to help you 'find your feet' so I would encourage you to contact them.  Their phone number is 0333 332 2033 or you can contact them by their website www.coeliac.org.uk they even advise doctors on Coeliac disease. 

You do need to cut out all gluten in order to get well; you could ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian as well, they will help you with tips and advice.  Good luck.

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

Despite all, remaining positive!

Join eNewsletter

2 hours ago, flowerqueen said:

Hi, I'm also from the UK. The above links are very useful for newly diagnosed coeliacs but if you join Coeliac UK, you will also get a lot of help which is more relevant to UK and Europe. (e.g. Shopping for food and restaurants etc., as the laws have recently changed regarding food labelling and eating out in restaurants, fast food places and other things). Membership is free for the first six months after joining, to help you 'find your feet' so I would encourage you to contact them.  Their phone number is 0333 332 2033 or you can contact them by their website www.coeliac.org.uk they even advise doctors on Coeliac disease. 

You do need to cut out all gluten in order to get well; you could ask your doctor to refer you to a dietitian as well, they will help you with tips and advice.  Good luck.

Flower Queen to the rescue!  Thanks!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Hi, I agree with Cyclinglady. As she said, it is not worth it. Also pay attention to different sources of hidden gluten (e.g. vitamins, sauces, frozen french fries). Also, for you it is important to pay a close attention to everything you eat that is even gluten free. Your body might react to things such as dairy, nightshades (potatoes, eggplant, tomatoes, peppers). You might not react but if you eat something like this and do not feel well, do not worry. You can get tested for food allergies/ intolerances (eggs, soy,etc). Even if it happens that milk bothers you, you can stop drinking it but reintroduce it later to diet after you have healed.

Try to avoid cross contamination (e.g. using same wooden cutting board that was used maybe for cutting bread, toaster, etc).

The UK has so many gluten free products. I happened to visit it just after I was diagnosed and I was sooo happy with the variety of bread that I was able to find just at Tesco. However, I would recommend not to go crazy eating all gluten free cookies, muffins, granola bars. I think I went overboard with that because I was so excited that I could buy that there. However, apart from possibly containing soy, eggs, milk, it is a lot of sugar that is definitely not healthy for us. However, you can buy awesome flour (not sure what it was called, there were white bags with blue and red writing. One of these bags (i think with blue writing but I am not sure) is great because whatever you make, you just need to add water, no need for baking powder, so it is so easy to use it). Good luck.

Join eNewsletter

I agree with "Looking for answers" there is a lot of sugar in gluten free foods, there seems to be more substitute for sweet treats and deserts more than savoury.  I am still intolerant to all dairy products after a few years of gluten free eating, but I was ill for a very long time before getting a diagnosis, so I'm presuming that it takes longer to totally heal. 

You definitely need your own toaster, as crumbs will contaminate your bread if you use a toaster that a non-coeliac uses.  You also need your own spread/butter, jams etc., to prevent cross-contamination. All these things will be explained to you if you contact Coeliac UK. 

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

Despite all, remaining positive!

Join eNewsletter

Hi Bessielad18,

You may not have real obvious symptoms from eating gluten.  Some people have no symptoms at all, others have severe symptoms.  Not having symptoms doesn't mean your body isn't being damaged.  Over time damage can become worse and symptoms can develop, including symptoms outside the gut, like joints, skin, brain/nerves, organs, etc.  Celiac damage makes it hard for the body to absorb nutrients so you may become deficient in vitamins and minerals.  Vitamin deficiencies can cause problems with healing and other symptoms.

Sometimes people are so used to their symptoms they don't realize they aren't normal.  After you have been gluten-free for a while you may find you have more energy and can sleep better, think more clearly and feel better.

IMHO it's not so much that we become more sensitive to gluten after going gluten-free, but we notice the symptoms more because we feel better and then get hit.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter