Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

ShannonA

Muscle aches & pain

Rate this topic

Hi,  I am trying to locate an article that was written giving the physiological breakdown of what gluten does to the muscle in some people.  It goes into the exact effect that gluten has on some peoples muscles rather than gut, leading to muscle pain/weakness. Thank you so much....I went through this now my 11 year old is going through it. The article is in such detail & im trying to explain it to my son.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I asked a similar question years ago when I was first diagnosed with coeliac disease. I was unable to find anything though. All I do know is I was very ill, my symptoms had been diagnosed many years ago as IBS. It was decades later when I was walking with a stick because I was so weak I could barely walk. My muscles were weak even when sitting or lying down I felt shakey on the inside. (Like a bag of jello).  I had blood work which found extremely low ferritin levels and general malnutrition. It was then that I underwent biopsies etc. It was a long drawn out process as I had already suspected coeliacs and had given up gluten (not realising that you need to be eating it to get a diagnosis - I'm older and wiser now. 

I hope someone else on here can give you the information you need.

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

Despite all, remaining positive!

Join eNewsletter

Thank you! I went gluten free for a year only tolerating soup & came back to life so to speak.  Burning in my head persisted until occupital neuralgia was diagnosed. I had an implant in my right head but burning continued, so I ate pizza all summer while sulking. I'm getting the other side of my head implanted with a stimulator & now am having all the muscle aches/pain due to eating wheat all summer. I've learned not to eat wheat when down & out bc it's not worth this. Yes I feel the jello feeling especially in the afternoon.  I'll look into more supplements!

Blessings

Shannon

Join eNewsletter

Most definitely keep off the wheat/gluten, it's so not worth it. Good luck with the other implant. It will take a few months before the supplements start to work, so don't feel despondent if it doesn't help right away.

Under active thyroid; diabetic; hiatus hernia; acid reflux; dairy intolerant; arthritis; sciatica due to spine degeneration; diagnosed with coeliac disease November 2011; fibromyalgia; allergic to Thyme & MSG and alcohol. Allergic to TCP antiseptic, and plasters. Taking medication for severe muscle spasms in upper back.

Despite all, remaining positive!

Join eNewsletter