This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help! Even Floradix Hurts Now!

cristiana

cristiana Veteran

Hello there - is anyone out there who has managed to increase their iron (ferritin) levels without supplementation.   I feel I am running out of options now - I started with heavy duty tablets which caused diarrhea and bleeding.  Then I went onto ferrous glucanate (sp) and eventually that started to hurt.  So now I am Floradix - gluten-free - and nearing the end of the bottle am again in pain.  It seems as soon as I go anywhere near iron I get wind, diffuse abdominal pain and constipation.  

I'm looking for tips on foods/drinks that are palatable and that might help.  Otherwise I guess it is the dreaded needle?

I find it so strange that my stomach seems more sensitive than ever when it comes to iron.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Do you  know why you need so much iron?  I would want to find out the exact cause.

Iron supplements are hard on the GI system.  When I was first diagnosed with Celiac and very low on iron, I spread my iron out to twice a day.  If you want it to be effective, you need to follow the exact directions - no calcium within a few hours before and after, taken on an empty stomach, making sure you get some B12 and vitamin C with it.  I am trying to remember the exact thing.  Read your prescription insert for the exact thing.

Open Original Shared Link

There are foods with significant amounts of iron,  To maximize your iron uptake, you would want to apply the same rules as the iron pills - especially the no calcium foods.

Open Original Shared Link

cyclinglady Grand Master

I agree with Karen.  There must be something wrong with your inability to absorb iron and increase your ferritin levels when you have been gluten-free for so long.    I have Thalassemia (a genetic anemia).  One  doctor just blamed my Thals for my anemia but never suspected celiac disease.  Another doctor blamed my low ferritin on my being a woman.  Only the GI doctor after I was four months into menopause suggested celiac disease.  I still have Thals, but my body compensates for it.  My iron-deficiency anemia resolved in just a few months of going gluten free.

icelandgirl Proficient

Oh I'm sorry Cristiana.  ((((Hugs))))

Maybe adding in more iron rich foods would do the trick with less digestive trouble.  Kareng  has attached a list...hope that will help.  I know that dark chocolate is a yummy source that I do indulge in.  Even rice Chex has a pretty good amount.

I hope you feel better friend.

cristiana Veteran

Hi Gals

Thanks for your replies.  I am not sure why my levels are dipping.  I was supplementing in a very half-hearted way when I  had my levels checked about 12-18 months ago.  My levels were at 41.  

I then stopped because I assumed I was healed so no problems.   

Then two months ago I had the most terrifying blood loss in one period.  I reckon I must have lost over a pint in the first 24 hours - sorry about tmi but the blood loss seemed worse than after giving birth.   Into day two of my period and this ghastly experience my blood was taken and ferritin was down to 21 but I was not anemic.   Scans showed all was well and thankfully I haven't had that again - in fact, I am wondering if it might have been to do with the fact that I was taking aspirin at the time which made the bleeding worse.   Anyway,  I have another test this month so it will be interesting to see whether the levels have increased.

Oh, I do hope that it isn't anything sinister.  

cyclinglady Grand Master
2 hours ago, cristiana said:

Hi Gals

Thanks for your replies.  I am not sure why my levels are dipping.  I was supplementing in a very half-hearted way when I  had my levels checked about 12-18 months ago.  My levels were at 41.  

I then stopped because I assumed I was healed so no problems.   

Then two months ago I had the most terrifying blood loss in one period.  I reckon I must have lost over a pint in the first 24 hours - sorry about tmi but the blood loss seemed worse than after giving birth.   Into day two of my period and this ghastly experience my blood was taken and ferritin was down to 21 but I was not anemic.   Scans showed all was well and thankfully I haven't had that again - in fact, I am wondering if it might have been to do with the fact that I was taking aspirin at the time which made the bleeding worse.   Anyway,  I have another test this month so it will be interesting to see whether the levels have increased.

Oh, I do hope that it isn't anything sinister.  

Ah!  That can happen after a flooding experience (been there done that).  If your intestines have healed, you should rebound within a month or so per my old doctor.  I would not worry about taking iron as much. Cut back enough so that you do not have symptoms.  Better to focus on iron-rich food sources.  Just allow more time for iron stores to build especially if your hemoglobin levels are within range.  But, as always, check with your doctor because I am not one!  

icelandgirl Proficient

I agree with cycling...I get those horrible flooding periods as well.  Ugh...if your ferritin was tested soon after it would be more likely to be low.  Maybe work on the iron rich foods and try doing the supplement a couple of times a week instead of daily and see how you do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cristiana Veteran

Friends - thank you.  I can't believe that I am even sharing something so personal and horrid on the internet!  But it is great to know that it could be down to women's problems.   Apologies to all male readers.  I pity my gastro next appointment, but I will have to tell him!

cyclinglady Grand Master
48 minutes ago, cristiana said:

Friends - thank you.  I can't believe that I am even sharing something so personal and horrid on the internet!  But it is great to know that it could be down to women's problems.   Apologies to all male readers.  I pity my gastro next appointment, but I will have to tell him!

If the flooding continues, a trip to your GYN can help.  I was put on hormone replacement.  Thirty day periods were draining -- literally!    It was all just part of perimenopause (actually the final year before hitting official menopause status).  My thyroid was also out of wack and needed adjusting too and that contributed to the flooding as well.  When my anemia did not resolve after menopause, it was my GI who caught celiac disease.   He said I should have rebounded after going through menopause in a few months.  Go figure!  Am good now.  Last check my ferritin was over 70 and it was a 2 at diagnosis.  

Hey, there is a reason I do not belong to Facebook Groups and this is one of them!  :D

cristiana Veteran
38 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

Hey, there is a reason I do not belong to Facebook Groups and this is one of them!  :D

Yes,  quite so - let's hope some bored hacker out there doesn't reveal all our real identities!

I wondered about the thyroid thing, I had read about that somewhere else.  Thanks!

Archived