This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Eat For Breakfast?

melisadki

melisadki Explorer

I have been eating way to many eggs and I am just getting kinda tired of them. I cant eat alot of the gluten-free cereals because they are so high in carbs and I have Pre-diabetes so I am not supposed to eat alot of carbs at one sitting. Any ideas?

Eggs, bacon, sausage is getting a little old. I have never heard of a gluten free, low carb cereal. there just has to be more food choices.

I also should add I wake up nauseated alot so it is hard to think of something that will agree with me. :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

burdee Enthusiast

There are several other topics on this site about breakfast menus which you might check. I also must eat balanced protein, fats, carbs and fiber breakfasts because I easily get reactive hypoglycemia. I just don't want to take the time to prepare eggs. So I often have peanut butter and sliced fruit or jam on a gluten free English muffin. I like Ener-G Foods Brown Rice with sweet potato muffins which are high fiber. I also eat lunch and dinner leftovers for breakfast, especially leftover meats like sausage or turkey ham slices with leftover fruit slices or leftover energy bars or even cookies. During the holidays I like thick slices of Jenni O turkey ham heated in the microwave with a slice of fruit cake. I only feel 'stable' after eating gluten-free hot cereals if they are high fiber and I can add almond butter after cooking the cereal/almond milk mix. I can't tolerate dairy or soy, but almond milk is slightly higher in protein and fat than rice milk. The almond butter just adds even more fats and protein to stabilize my blood sugar. But cooking all that takes as much time as eggs. However, I often make omlettes for dinner and save half for breakfast next day. I hope that gave you some breakfast ideas, even if they were gluten/dairy/soy free entrees.

BURDEE

kabowman Explorer

I also have pre-diabetes and try to balance my carbs. If I eat cereal, instead of bacon and eggs, I eat a small bowl and maybe a slice or two of bacon after so I don't have a blood-sugar problem. Sometimes I have nutbutter (cashew) on a small piece of bread for the extra protein. I only do that about once a week and the cereal is a nice treat then. I love my eggs with veggies in them too...

Carriefaith Enthusiast

How about fruit salad, fruit smoothies, an omelet, and/or gluten-free toast and jam or peanut butter.

Lisa Mentor

I have never been a fan of breakfast food (other than Denny's, and that's out). I usually plan enough leftovers that would be suitable for breakfast. Rice, sausage, beef, mashed potatoes and I love wild rice or a mixed blend of wild rice for morning. (I also add Herb Ox- Chicken broth in the water to add a richer flavor to make it not so blah).

I have also discovered Amy's gluten free frozed entrees, which I love for breakfast.

Or, if you like breakfast food, at a good health food store you can find some gluten-free cereals. Gillian's cin. & raisan breakfast rolls are pretty good.

Hope you find some alternatives.

zebrajeb Newbie

I love breakfast - eggs, toast (my wife makes me gluten free bread), sausage, hash browns (or grits). However, most days I just eat cereal. Wild Oats and a number of local grocery stores all carry gluten free rice or corn chex type cereal.

melisadki Explorer

Thanks for the ideas.....I will really have to think hard on what to eat. Everything is making me so nausea right now and i am about to quit this diet.. :( I havent eatten much in 4 days. :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Lisa Mentor

Don't go there. Don't be a quiter. Down deep in your heart, you know what to do.

It all takes a while, be patient and it will get better soon. Stick with it. You will be feeling better soon.

We are all her to support you.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I have been eating way to many eggs and I am just getting kinda tired of them.  I cant eat alot of the gluten-free cereals because they are so high in carbs and I have Pre-diabetes so I am not supposed to eat alot of carbs at one sitting.  Any ideas?

Eggs, bacon, sausage is getting a little old.  I have never heard of a gluten free, low carb cereal.  there just has to be more food choices.

I also should add I wake up nauseated alot so it is hard to think of something that will agree with me. :(

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well... what's "not alot"?

Can you have a tuna taco (canned tuna, avocado, salsa, and a corn tortilla)? There aren't a lot of carbs in that, and it's very balanced so that your insulin response will be steady.

What about making your own muffins with nut and soy flours?

Or pancakes with nut flours?

Two rice cakes, with peanut butter, would give you 30 carbs, but also a lot of fat and some protein to balance the glycemic effect. Would that work for you?

What about lunch meat rolled in some lettuce w/ veggies? Or leftovers from the night before?

melisadki Explorer
Well... what's "not alot"?
'

With my insulin resistance I am supposed to have 30%carbs, 40%protein, 30%fat at each meal. This supposedly balances the glycemic as you stated above.

I just miss good toast. I hate the idea of spending 5 bucks on a loaf.. :angry:

Rice cakes and lots of peanut butter may work, maybe with slice of bacon. I know rice is higher on carb index.. :rolleyes:

I used to buy this flaxseed bread before going gluten free and it was great high fat and high protein but I cant find any gluten free flaxseed bread. So far not so good of luck making my own bread as it tastes icky and gummy.. :( Hubbie is complaining to as if there isnt enough stress.. :rolleyes:

Also taking my metformin for my sugar is really giving me GI problems and the doctor just upped it so making these choices this week is really hard. Greasy stuff just runs through me.. :huh: I miss my saltine crackers.. :P

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Flax Seed Bread by Glutino

Open Original Shared Link

Ingredients: Water, corn starch, tapioca starch, flax seeds, safflower oil, ground flax linseed, evaporated cane juice, powdered egg whites, salt, yeast, guar gum, baking powder, (glucono-delta-lactone, sodium bicarbonate), pectin, sodium alginate, vegetable gum (cellulose), thiamine, niacin, vitamin B6, riboflavin, iron, calcium.

melisadki Explorer

Bronco thanks for the flax seed bread link. :D

Archived