Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

symphonyofdreams547

Mental Issues from as a Celiac

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Right here! :) Except by the time I was diagnosed I was dealing with many physical issues of varying types.

I've dealt with generalized anxiety disorder from my early 20's, I'm late 30's now.  I went through a severe spell in my late-20's and then again these past 2 years. My panic attacks and anxiety stemmed from nothing and were so difficult. Depression was deeply setting in. I told therapists and doctors I saw I could do all the cognitive behavioral therapy I wanted (I had great success with it in the past) and my anxiety was still unchanged. Often I was asked "what are you anxious about?" or "what is depressing you?"... I had no clue and no answer. Sure there are triggers, but it felt unrooted and that it scared me because I had no idea how to fix  it!!

I went gluten free only Dec. 16th. By early Jan, I am not longer dealing with the constant anxiety and the depression is slowly lifting. A cloud is lifting, the irritability has let up considerably and no longer am I in a constant state of anxiety. I am the old me and it's incredibly strange and exciting to meet "me" again. However, my emotions and behaviors have been affected by the challenges so it's still work like anyone coming through emotional struggles. It's (gluten-free) certainly not a cure all and I know I still am prone to dealing with my anxiety and depression. However, being gluten-free has made a significant difference.

Also, I eat mainly whole foods and really limit any processed foods. For now I have had to back off dairy and corn until I heal more. Just in case you are curious what my diet is.  I was also diagnosed by blood work and biopsy.

Join eNewsletter

I had terrible out of the blue anxiety before dx.   My gastro symptoms followed but months later.  I was very low on B12 and iron which I am sure didn't help.   

I have found that occasionally that anxiety comes back.  It is as if I learned that behavior before I was dx'd and something triggers it again, not always gluten.  When I feel it knocking at the door again, which thankfully is not often, I just look at it as a setback.   I get these setbacks when I am worrying about something, like a trip - can't stand flying - or a writing deadline, and when that happens I have found a lot of help through two particular books, At Last a Life by Paul David and The Depression Cure: the Six-Step Programme to beating depression without drugs by Steve Llardi.  I'm not saying medication doesn't have its place but sometimes we can get into negative patterns of behavior which just don't help.  

There are a lot of posts on anxiety in this forum so I think it is a very common problem.

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Join eNewsletter

Here's a link to an old thread about mental symptoms in celiac disease.  It might be interesting to you.  I found it by searching for anger, depression in the forum search tool.  There are other similar subject threads too.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter