Jenny0409

First time getting glutened

Rate this topic

So I'm a celiac, diagnosed 4 months ago. So after a rough start to the gluten free journey I have been steadily and completely gluten free for one month. I feel amazing and I've noticed major, positive changes in my physical and emotional well being in this short month. It has honestly been a game changer. Then it happened. Yesterday, I was glutened. Against, my better judgment I went out on a limb and headed to Chick Fil A for lunch. They were so knowledgeable and friendly. They confirmed that they used separate fryers for fries of guest that identify with gluten issues. They even knew exactly what I could and couldn't have on the menu. I was ecstatic! I got back to work, enjoyed my tasty lunch, and 30 minutes later it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was nauseous, my tummy was so loud and I was in pain! Since then I've been foggy headed and emotional. Does anyone else notice that being glutened affects their emotions or am I the only one?? I feel so sad to be essentially back and square one. I never want to feel like this again. I'm still not eating gluten (on purpose) and plan to remain gluten free but gosh this can be difficult. End of vent. :)

45 minutes ago, Jenny0409 said:

So I'm a celiac, diagnosed 4 months ago. So after a rough start to the gluten free journey I have been steadily and completely gluten free for one month. I feel amazing and I've noticed major, positive changes in my physical and emotional well being in this short month. It has honestly been a game changer. Then it happened. Yesterday, I was glutened. Against, my better judgment I went out on a limb and headed to Chick Fil A for lunch. They were so knowledgeable and friendly. They confirmed that they used separate fryers for fries of guest that identify with gluten issues. They even knew exactly what I could and couldn't have on the menu. I was ecstatic! I got back to work, enjoyed my tasty lunch, and 30 minutes later it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was nauseous, my tummy was so loud and I was in pain! Since then I've been foggy headed and emotional. Does anyone else notice that being glutened affects their emotions or am I the only one?? I feel so sad to be essentially back and square one. I never want to feel like this again. I'm still not eating gluten (on purpose) and plan to remain gluten free but gosh this can be difficult. End of vent. :)

There is not one Celiac out there who hasn't slipped up in the beginning. You have not set yourself back by very much so do not be too hard on yourself.  As far as eating at any fast food establishment, I do not.  After being glutened by a Wendy's salad, I walked away from those places because the risk of taking a hit is just way, way too high.  Workers may try to be helpful but they will never understand the real dangers of cc and how very little it takes to make us sick.  That is the one common thread I hear all the time from people I try to explain Celiac to.......they are incredulous at how little it takes to derail us.

Yes, being glutened does affect emotions.  I have never been an anxiety type person ever in my life but you know what happens to me now, 11 years into the diet?  I have elevated anxiety and am also more emotional until a few days goes by and my brain returns to normal.  Luckily, I am a veteran at this and I rarely ever take a hit anymore.  You'll get there too!  ;)

Don't sweat it Jenny, chalk it up to a learning experience...we all have them. Sounds like you're doing well overall with what is a huge life change, so don't let one glutening get you down. Being celiac sucks there's no way to sugarcoat it. However think of it this way, eating crap from chick fil a is bad for your body anyways, so just remember that the good news is you'll be eating less junk. Albeit tasty junk :).  So keep up what you've been doing and dont worry about it, you're doing just fine and your body will recover.

Did the same thing myself after 8 months gluten-free  on Tuesday by having 2 beechams cold and flue tablets - never again still recovering and l have a cough which last 5 weeks so will be more cautious what l pop into my mouth in the future. So now got the flu a cough and fuzzy head now the stomach though!

Sorry you had to go through that, Jenny - I am convinced you cannot be careful enough.  I don't get the emotional symptoms you say you had and it takes anywhere from 3 - 5 hours for my symptoms to show up.  I just get flu-like symptoms complete with the fatigue, but without a fever.  Of course the abdominal pain is there too.  And while the flu like feeling is gone for me in 12 hours or so, the bloating and stomach trouble goes on for a few days.  Hate it.  

I was diagnosed back in May so I am still pretty new to all of this too.  I have been gluten free since that time and stuck with it very well, but early this month I was glutened at my sister's house for dinner.  Her son's girlfriend can't have gluten and it this point I'm not so sure if it is because she is Celiac, gluten intolerant, or what.  At any rate, big sis said she knew what to do for a safe meal and I trusted her.  I went as far as bringing some of my own food.  But I did have the entree she prepared - it was ham with a glaze and it definitely had gluten in it - I found out later that evening on the drive home.

Now another sister is having a dinner at her house for all of us siblings and spouses this Sunday - lasagna (LOL - some people don't quite get it; my entire family knows I am Celiac).  I guess what I am saying is that you really have to take the front seat and be very careful on what you have to eat.  

Best of luck to you as you move forward adjusting to this lifestyle.