Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

1398_Days

depression when glutened?

Rate this topic

I've noticed that when I get glutened I feel a bit depressed, not severely depressed or anything, but enough that I don't feel like myself. I stopped eating gluten in August felt great until November. Since November I've been getting bouts of this depression even when I was sure that I didn't eat gluten. I finally realized.. the kitchen! I live with my parents who eat gluten and we share all the same pots, pans, and utensils. So after feeling sick every time I ate something that was cooked in any of the pots or pans I realized that might be it. So the past few days I haven't used any of the cookware or anything and I haven't been feeling sick and am pretty much back to my normal happy self. So is all of this really caused by cross contamination? I mean, I have no doubt that CC can make you sick but it seems weird that I didn't feel depressed all the time. And that I never felt like that before I went gluten free. Is that normal or is it possible that it was caused by something else? Does anyone else feel depressed when they get glutened?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I feel that way as well when I have been glutened.  Have gone as far as only having my food cooked in my own pots and pans and even use just my utensils that don't come in contact with gluten.  Makes a difference, until I accidentally get glutened then can't figure out why.  Glad you are feeling better.

Join eNewsletter

I have always had depression. On medication, etc. since I was about 12.

But since going gluten-free, I've been off my medicine and doing great!

When I get glutened by CC or whatever, I end up feeling enough depressed that my husband tells me I need to remember it's just my body responding to gluten, and we talk about where I may have gotten glutened. We can ALWAYS find something that is the probable place of CC. I can tell I'm down, but it's significant enough that he can tell too. It persists for a few days and then gets better.

Join eNewsletter