Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

My mom, brother and I have been diagnosed with celiac for a while now (3+ years) and my mom has seriously MASTERED cooking gluten free (and she actually has corn, soy and sugar allergies as well).  She seriously is an amazing cook.  As you know eating out, even the many "gluten free" options, isn't fun.  You never know if you are going to go home feeling sick for weeks because of cross contamination.  I have found a few restaurants that I can eat at without feeling sick, but everywhere else we either eat before hand or bring our own food.  You know the deal.  

Anyways, we want to offer a solution to the "gluten free" option by starting a certified gluten free food truck with some of my mom's best recipes.  The food truck idea is taking off here in salt lake city and I was just wondering if you know of any 100% gluten free food truck businesses that have been successful since you know a lot of the gluten free scene.  I have been trying to do some research to see if this has been done before and if it can be successful.  Obviously I think it can be successful because if I knew of one in my area I would go there all the time just for convenience and for not having to make my food ALL the time.  It gets so old.  

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I do not know of any gluten-free truck food but I think it is brilliant and you should give it a go. That is something I miss....being able to eat this type of food because, very often, it looks so good. I see them all the time around Fenway Park before a ball game and they also have some food truck events around here so they are popular.

Great idea!

Join eNewsletter

In my opinion, the way to do it is offer delicious, fresh food that just happens to be gluten free.  The Celiac community will find out about it (and you certainly can say it on the truck, but don't highlight it), Your market of customers will simply be people who want to eat good, healthy, delicious food. Here in NY one of my favorite 100% gluten-free lunch places has a line out the door and I'll bet 80% of the customers have no gluten medical issues (I've run into friends there who I know can and do eat gluten).

Join eNewsletter