Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

I've just recently gone into my gluten free diet being diagnosed in early December of last year.  I am 18 years old and I had a normal menstrual cycle in both December and January but now that February hits I am now 4 days late for my period. Not really having any major PMS problems, headaches are the main thing, I've had some acne but no real cramping. I am definitely not pregnant considering I've never had sex, so just wondering if going gluten free is affecting my menstual cycle?

From what I have read, celiac disease affects your hormones. So it wouldn't be a surprise to see changes in the menstrual cycle. In the pamphlet my GI doctor gave me after diagnosis, one of the most surprising symptoms I was was "sore breasts" for three months after going gluten free. And I did experience that.

My cycle has always been messed up and unpredictable but has become even more so since going gluten free. I'm actually going in for hormonal testing tomorrow and to discuss possible other testing to make sure nothing is wrong. I'm 38 and my doctor says it could be perimenopause. At age 18, I'm sure it's not that :) But yes, your hormones could be adjusting and causing changes to your cycle.