Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

Hi, guys! I'm a 21 year old female and I've had anxiety (GAD and SAD) and hereditary depression for my whole life. I was diagnosed with a gluten allergy January of 2015 after five years of shot-in-the-dark diagnoses. I've had a very difficult time finding a medicine that eases my symptoms but does not send me into a full on gluten attack, if you will. I was wondering if any of you had similar experiences and could offer up any suggestions!

A few more details that might be helpful:

-I exercise regularly and along with being gluten free, I eat organic and non-processed foods (with the occasional cheat day).

-Medication is absolutely necessary. Going without is not an option. 

Thanks in advance! 

Disclaimer: I'm new to this website and this is my first post, so please be kind :) 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi there.

I have tried a million different medications for the same issues you have.

The only thing that helped me was Effexor.  It was a god send.  My DR contacted the company and it is 100% gluten free with 0 chance of cross contamination (at least that is what they say).

Why are the symptoms you are experiencing when you say "gluten attack"?  Sometimes, starting a new medication can cause certain symptoms that may be confused with Celiac problems.

Join eNewsletter

Very few medications actually contain gluten.  I know that GI issues - nausea, diarrhea or constipation, etc can be side effects of many medications. Maybe talk to your psychiatrist about the best way to take the med to reduce those issues?  Or try you on another one?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac disease causes nutritional deficiencies.  One of the common deficiencies is magnesium.  Magnesium is the relaxation mineral.  You can speed the healing of your gut with L-Glutamine.  The best food source of magnesium is beef liver, because it is in perfect balance with other minerals.  You should also take a magnesium supplement.  My digestion runs slow, so I take magnesium citrate.  You should research available forms of magnesium to get the one that is the best for you.  Mag oxide does not absorb well, and yet it is most commonly available.   I took prescriptions in my 20s because my Celiac and colon deformity were undiagnosed.  These just caused my brain to slow down and I wish I hadn't caved in and thought Rx meds were any kind of a fix.  There is an herbal supplement called Rescue Remedy.  It uses plants, but of course make sure it's gluten free.  I was also helped by yoga and relaxation therapy with biofeedback.

Join eNewsletter

I'm 23 and have only recently been diagnosed with Celiac (although I've been suffering from it for a very long time). In fact, the reason it took so long to diagnose me was because my severe anxiety (I also have GAD!) also causes me to have GI issues.

All that said, I've been on the generic form of Lexapro called escitalopram for five or six years and have had no issues with it before or after my diagnosis. I hope you figure it out!

Join eNewsletter