Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

melprkr

Is it worth treating symptoms of glutening?

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed Celiac in June 2015 and have been trying to make this gluten free diet work as well as possible.  I have just had a round of antibiotics for a bad tooth, my son broke his arm and during the trip to the ER, we stopped and I was glutened by what I think was cross contamination from some fries because it was late and the place was getting ready to close.  Mind you all of this was about 4-5 weeks ago and I am still feeling the effects.  Mostly from the anxiety and the not wanting to eat.  I was just curious if it is worth treating the symptoms that go along with the glutening or does it help at all?  I have seen some who say it is and some who say not but I would like honest opinions here.  This is the worst glutening I have had by far and am really hoping things get better soon.  Any information ya'll can give me will be a big help.  I have read and read and read until I can't read anymore but most of it is from way back.  I know things change and the way people look at things change so any advice will be more than useful to me right now.  

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Sorry to hear about your glutening.  I can only offer time and patience.  It took me three months to recover from my last glutening (my GI ordered an antibodies test because I was so bad) .  Six months to gain back the weight I lost.  

I have not eaten outside of my house since July.  Seriously.  No restaurant is worth the risk for me except for one that is 100% gluten free.  Take that back.  I had a gluten free Thanksgiving with family.   I will probably re-consider when I next go on vacation abroad.  Hopefully, like childbirth, I will have forgotten my pain.  

Anyway, I suggest that you always carry emergency food with you.  I just grabbed a banana yesterday at Walmart to add to my gluten-free nut bar and applesauce.  It was not the best lunch, but heck, I am not sick today!   

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thank you for the advice cycling lady.  Where I live there are no such things as gluten free restaurants except of course my home.  Have you found that each glutening is worse than the last?  I am trying to eat at least every few hours to at least give my system a chance to heal. I have found the anxiety isn't near as bad after I eat.

Join eNewsletter

I guess we are blessed here in Omaha. There are safe, gluten-free options at restaurants all over the place. Most are sit down types, but there are chain options as well. Schlotzsky's, Jason's Deli, Panera, Tom-Chee. 

As to deals not with glutening, when it does happen, I find drinks no extra water helps. As does a bland diet for a few days. 

Blessings 

Join eNewsletter

Sorry to hear about this.  It is hard to find places to eat but start slow and do research on restaurants.  My husband and teenage kids call places and ask to speak with managers prior to us trying.  Don't be afraid to ask questions or leave if you feel nervous.  Look into apps that can give suggestions but better yet reviews.

Just a thought were the antibiotics gluten-free?  This might have made things worse. Good luck.

Join eNewsletter

as far as the symptoms being worse the longer you are gluten-free, here is my theory:

when you were sick, (before your dx), you didn't get symptoms all at once - over time, and as your body was getting more damaged, gluten sneaked up on us - first, our guts hurt, then the big D, then headaches, etc and little by little, we eventually felt like a truck hit us.  (i was undiagnosed for 25 years :(  ) every day, getting a little worse....   then we go gluten free, and our body feels better, it might take a little while, but wow what a difference!  then we get glutened - pow - we are back to where we felt terrible again.  but, this time, it's not gradual, it's all at once (and we know what it is) so it feels like that truck hit you again.  i never felt any worse getting glutened after going gluten-free than i ever felt before i was diagnosed (but i had to think about it really hard, because it really does feel worse, lolz) it's like going back to my pre dx 'normal' ?  does that make any sense ?

i drink lots of water, cancel things, eat plain 'clean' foods, stay close to the bed and the bathroom....   (for 14 days ugh)  everybody is different.   i hope you feel better soon.  

arlene

misdiagnosed for 25 years!
just as i was getting my affairs in order to die of malnutrition...
gluten free 7/2010
blood test negative
celiac confirmed by endoscopy 9/2010

only YOU can prevent forest fires - smokey t. bear

have a nice day :)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

French fries or any fried foods at a restaurant are risky.  Sometimes there is only one fryer and they use it for breaded foods.  So the oil is contaminated with gluten.  Even if they have multiple fryers unless they dedicate one fryer to gluten-free only it's no help.  Sometimes side dishes are a better bet.  Creamed corn or green beans, fruit etc.

Pepto Bismol is my go to for symptoms, plus peppermint tea and aspirin.  It's good to stick with a whole foods for the most part.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Join eNewsletter