• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

How many of you diagnosed with celiac also have scoliosis?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. How many of you diagnosed with celiac also have scoliosis?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not tested

Guest Viola

Judging from one thread that was going around earlier, it's pretty common among Celiacs.

Thanks for putting this on, it's going to be interesting.

I interpreted "having Celiac" as also including autoimmune gluten intolerance. I am non-Celiac gluten intolerant. But for this survey it seems that is close enough.

I just found out I have mild scoliosis earlier this year.

Stephanie

Well, it looks as though my theory could be wrong about the connection. It's hard to tell with such a small sample group. If anyone knows of a connection between the two I would be curious to access any such information.

Pardon my ignorance but what is Scoliosis? :ph34r:

Is it another autoimmune disease or a skin condition? :unsure:

Guest Viola

It's a skelton issure, the spine is curved and in severe cases can cause damage to internal organs. That is fairly rare though, most of us have mild Scoliosis. In my case it just causes nagging back aches at times, and you want to make sure your physio Therapist or anyone that works on the spine knows about it. I had one try and put it back in place, which caused major hip problems until we got it back to where it was.

I am a 66 year old celiac and have scoliosis. I am seeing by the posts that others with celiac also have scoliosis. I have always believed that my scoliosis could be attributed to my celiac disease, and I must not be the only one who believes it. Interesting! No Dr. has ever confirmed the connection but I believe it.

I have no idea if there is any connection. I am self-diagnosed gluten intolerant 16 mos ago, and at about the same time I discovered that late in life I have developed scoliosis. Interesting. Can't imagine the connection except perhaps for my low Vitamin D.

I don't have scoliosis, but see it a lot when I teach yoga. A good number of cases (I don't know the exact percentage) are functional - that is, they come from habitual posture. You can use PT/chiropractic/yoga therapy to help actually correct it.

It was interesting to read this post. I have scoliosis, but never knew if it was related to my Celiac Disease. I have pain in my back everyday because of it. I did physical therapy for several months, and it helped a lot. I am supposed to keep up with it at home, but am not very good about it.

This is so strange that many have it....I have had it all my life...

I also have a thing called spina bifida oculta, where one of the bottom vertibra didn't form properly

it doesn't effect me in anyway...but it never ceases to amaze me how so many ailments celiacs share..

I have scoliosis and kyphosis. Kyphosis runs in my mother's family and I have an uncle on my father's side who was dx with celiac about two years ago.