Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Goobs94

Recent Celiac and trying to cope

Rate this topic

I'm 21 and was diagnosed in October with Celiac's. Since going gluten free I've had a lot of ups and downs with how I feel. I've had to call out of work and have had a lot of aniexty due to my symptoms. (Tiredness, loose stools, endless restroom trips) And of course on these bad days I get very emotional, I feel like I'm trying but I don't know what to do anymore. I either cook gluten free or only go to restaurants that are good with gluten allergies. I guess I'm just asking for any advice on what to do. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Goobs, and welcome. :)

It takes quite a while for most of us to feel consistently better. You'll find that you have good days and bad days. As time goes on the good days will become more frequent.

My advice to you would be to first, go to the Newbie 101 thread here in the coping section. It'll help you make SURE you aren't getting hidden gluten contamination.

And I would NOT eat in restaurants. I've been at this for years and I still hardly ever eat in restaurants. I know it's a pain in the neck socially and inconvenient to boot. But right now you should be eating simple whole foods anyway - meats, potatoes or rice, fresh veggies and a little fruit. These things are easier to digest and they are not prone to contamination.

Oh, and keep a food and symptom diary just in case you have any further intolerances. Most of us have trouble with dairy at first and some of us with things like corn or soy. Not to say that you do, but it wouldn't hurt to avoid those things (especially dairy) for a few months.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter