Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

gemlechner

Any issues with Canyan Bakehouse bread?

Rate this topic

So my whole house is 100% gluten free. My daughter keeps getting glutened and I'm not sure from where. She is only 4 and not in school and nobody baby sits her (I'm a stay at home mom). We have been to a few birthday parties this past month but I was sure I monitored everything and made sure I brought/made gluten-free food. The only thing that seems to make sense is the canyon bakehouse bread because this happens about 4 hours after eating it and she has had it almost every day. Anyone else have any suspicion....Also if it was cross contamination from something else or if she had a bite of some gluten a few weeks ago from a party shouldn't she be better by now?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

No suspicions on canyon Bakehouse.  They only make gluten-free products and have always been reliable.  Does she have this problem with other breads?  Maybe its an ingredient that bothers her, like xanthum gum or one of the grains? what does she eat with the bread?  Is it something she eats without the bread and is OK?

Join eNewsletter

Karen is right.  It could be an intolerance to an ingredient.  Canyon Bakehouse is certified gluten free.   Is she dairy and certified oat free too?  

Or consider getting her re-tested.  Ask for the DGP test.  No sense second guessing if it has been a while:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21694536

Or consider her diet.  Gluten may be sneaking in.  Too many processed foods.  This study recommends a whole foods diet for those who are diet compliant, but are managing to get gluten in their diet somehow.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3598839/

Remember, celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder just like Multiple Sclerosis or Lupus.  But....celiac disease is unique because the "trigger" is known --- gluten.  Exposure to gluten can trigger an autoimmune response that can last for days, weeks or months.  Everyone is different!  

I hope this helps! 

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter