Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Rate this topic

After I was dignosed and went gluten free I didn't get better and have been trying different things for the past 2 years. I went on this diet in September and have been doing the best since, here are literally the only things I eat:

Protein:

any meat except fish or shellfish

Carbs:

sweet potatos, squash, yucca root

Vegetables:

any vegetable except potatos or corn, also no garlic

Fats:

olive oil, coconut oil

Fruit:

only grapefruits, and occasional ripe banana, or occasional small amount of berries (no high fructose fruits like apples)

Sweetners:

occasionally a small amount of maple syrup or honey

Voila, thats it. Literally no grains, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, corn, soy, dairy, etc. Also no alcohol or coffee :(  I try to eat a balance of carbs, fats, and proteins, but only from things on this list. Is anyone else as crazy as I am? Anyone have experienced healing on a diet like this? This is the only way I have been able to feel ok since I became really sick with celiac disease 3-4 years ago. I hope I don't have to be on this diet for the rest of my life but whenever I stray from it I end up sick with glutening symptoms. Anyone have a similar experience but now is able to eat things they couldn't before?

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Do you have other medical issues to where you have to be restrictive?

Eating gluten free is pretty restrictive anyway, but you don't seem to have much variety in your diet. For example, there a lot of carbs that don't have gluten: rice, quinoa, potatoes, and a whole lot of carbs that are gluten free. 

Voila, thats it. Literally no grains, nuts, seeds, beans, legumes, corn, soy, dairy, etc. Also no alcohol or coffee :(  I try to eat a balance of carbs, fats, and proteins, but only from things on this list. Is anyone else as crazy as I am? Anyone have experienced healing on a diet like this? This is the only way I have been able to feel ok since I became really sick with celiac disease 3-4 years ago. I hope I don't have to be on this diet for the rest of my life but whenever I stray from it I end up sick with glutening symptoms. Anyone have a similar experience but now is able to eat things they couldn't before?

This is what I think: if you are not eating gluten but get gluten-like symptoms when eating the above foods, then there is something more going on. Have you spoken with your doctor about this?  

Join eNewsletter

You were just diagnosed with just the gene test and positive blood test, right?  Maybe it is time that you visit your GI and get an endoscopy.  You may have something other than just celiac disease (SIBO, Crohn's, etc.).  I would think that you would be better by now and any intolerances resulting from a damaged gut would be resolved.  

I hope you get it figured out soon!  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter