This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gluten Free Oats Are Here!

mamaw

mamaw Community Regular

cream hill estates from Canada has gluten free oats. I tried them from a conference I attended. Their website is:www.Lame Advertisement.com

Also a company in Wyoming is producing only oats so they e-mailed me and said they would start shipping around the end of dec05 or Jan.06.

Both are a bit pricey but that's the price we have to pay to get gluten free.

The second place I think has Celiac's in the family.I found them at : glutenfreeoats.com

Both say one should start out slowly when adding the oats like a quarter of a cup at first...Of course there will be some who will not be able to tolerate them even though they are gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cornbread Explorer

I LOVE oats! However... it worries me to read reports that say oats can be tolerated by *most* Celiacs.... What exactly does this mean? That some of us have a separate problem with oats, or that only some of us feel a gluten reaction from then?

cornbread Explorer

Ok, I've answered my own question (thank you google!) :)

"Another issue [as well as contamination] is that patients may have a sensitivity to the protein portion of oats and develop intestinal inflammation and villous atrophy. This is very rare."

Open Original Shared Link

Woo-hoo! I'm ordering me some oats!! :D Thanks for the heads up mamaw. :)

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

A small percentage of celiacs actually react to the protein in oats called avenin.

Are these oats grown on their own, transported on their own, in a facility by themselves and everything? Those are ways that oats get contaminated so just make sure if you do order them that they really are pure uncontaminated oats.

For me, I would probably be one of those people that react to the protein in it and I can't afford to get sick again so I stay away from oats completely.

jenvan Collaborator

as Kaiti said... just b/c their gluten-free doesn't mean they will be safe for you...

VydorScope Proficient

For my toddler son I wont risk it. JMO :D

Guest gfinnebraska

"The mission of Gluten Free Oats® is to provide the purest oats available for people with celiac disease. Inspected by celiacs from planting to packaging, we understand the importance of avoiding cross-contamination from wheat, rye or barley. Gluten Free Oats® can be considered SAFE for people who are gluten intolerant because they tested below detectable limits of 3 parts per million (ppm) by the University of Nebraska FARRP Laboratory"

I copied the above from glutenfreeoats.com -> on their web site they have a satisfaction guarantee. IF you have any reactions to their product, they refund your money in full. I know that will not make you feel better if contaminated, but it is a start! They obviously take celiac disease very seriously. I am going to give them a try... I will let you know how it turns out! I miss hot oatmeal and cookies made with oats. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular
"The mission of Gluten Free Oats® is to provide the purest oats available for people with celiac disease. Inspected by celiacs from planting to packaging, we understand the importance of avoiding cross-contamination from wheat, rye or barley. Gluten Free Oats® can be considered SAFE for people who are gluten intolerant because they tested below detectable limits of 3 parts per million (ppm) by the University of Nebraska FARRP Laboratory"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course they test below detectable limits for gliandin - if they're uncontaminated, they wouldn't have any wheat protein in it. IF they are truely uncontaminated, the issue isn't contamination - it's the oats itself. It's frustrating that they are saying these are "SAFE" because it's not the whole story. I fully support those who want to try them giving it a go, but they really should be more forthright and not ignore the research that found damage on biopsy from lab-grown and harvested (hence, pure) oats, in a small number of celiacs. I'd feel a lot better if they said "SAFE for the majority of people who are gluten intolerant". How many people won't know the distinction and won't know why they're getting sick if they are one who reacts to it?

Guest gfinnebraska

Tiffany ~ do you have any links that discuss oats and celiac? I guess I have not done my research in that area. IF I do end up getting them, I will definitely know if I am having a reaction or not. I will also post asap if I do! PLUS, write the company and send my product back. Is it too good to be true to hope/wish to eat oats again?? Educate me... please! :)

VydorScope Proficient
Of course they test below detectable limits for gliandin - if they're uncontaminated, they wouldn't have any wheat protein in it. IF they are truely uncontaminated, the issue isn't contamination - it's the oats itself. It's frustrating that they are saying these are "SAFE" because it's not the whole story. I fully support those who want to try them giving it a go, but they really should be more forthright and not ignore the research that found damage on biopsy from lab-grown and harvested (hence, pure) oats, in a small number of celiacs. I'd feel a lot better if they said "SAFE for the majority of people who are gluten intolerant". How many people won't know the distinction and won't know why they're getting sick if they are one who reacts to it?

To be far thier site DOES say....

Over the past decade research has shown that most people who are gluten intolerant can consume oats if other grains have not contaminated them. Finally a source is available through Gluten Free Oats®

Right on the front page.

VydorScope Proficient

Futher reading on thier site shows them to spend a bit of time on that issue, and they even link back to Celiac.com for more information on oats and celiac disease.

I wish there was a test for oat intolerance... oats are a great substitue in many places for flour!

tarnalberry Community Regular

my source of information for that one is pubmed. if you do an oats and celiac search, you'll find journal articles that cover the research in the area. many of them did not find a problem, at low levels, in general, but there is a common theme to most of the studies that says "a few dropped out due to symptoms" or "except a few who showed damage on a biopsy". I believe only one of the studies actually looked for the number that *couldn't* tolerate oats, as opposed to whether or not many could. I don't have any links saved (I'm not even on my own computer!), but the search doesn't take long.

Guest gfinnebraska

Thanks! :)

skbird Contributor

Someone posted a while back either on this forum or another that the had a newsletter from their pediatrician with an article indicating that while there is a portion of Celiacs who can tolerate oats, those who have the other gluten intolerant genes usually can't tolerate oats. Especially those with neurological presentations of gluten intolerance. I know I am in this group, so I am very wary of the idea of eating oats. I was fond of oatmeal, but not fond enough to risk it. I like grains, but they just aren't important enough to me to try, if they still could make me sick.

But I am pleased to see there is an attempt, and I hope it goes well for those who undertake. Just remember just because you don't have a noticable reaction doesn't mean you aren't having damage done. You should consider testing after you start adding oats back into your diet, just to confirm your body is ok with them.

Stephanie

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast
Especially those with neurological presentations of gluten intolerance. I know I am in this group

Shhhugar, I'm in this group, too. And I actually liked oats :blink:

skbird Contributor

Sucks... I liked them, but not unless I also had liberal amounts of brown sugar and cream. I can still have the cream but the brown sugar ain't doable for me, so it's just not the same. I mean, oats and stevia? Blech.

Stephanie :)

Archived