Celiac Disease FAQ | This site uses cookies GDPR notice. Read more... ×
8 8
rockstarkate

Udi's Gluten Free frozen pizza reaction

Rate this topic

5 hours ago, JoyVale said:

I'm so glad to see this. It made me sick for three days. Every time I ate it. Come to think of it, so did Udi's gluten-free pizza. Hmmm... 

They are highly processed you could be reacting to one of the other ingredients, many develop issues with xantham gum for example, some people have issues with other grains, everyone is different with this disease and due the the way it effects the immune system you can easily develop food intolerance issues and allergies. I personally got a whole list, and some foods are minor intolerance, some depend on how they are fixed etc. The only pizza crust I have been able to stomach was califlour foods plant one -_- in small amounts with antihistamines lol (they use olives in it somewhere and I am allergic slightly to them) It is not bad and depending on prebake you can get soft chewy or extra new york crsipy. Keep a food diary write down everything you eat, spices you use, condiments and how it is cooked, then record how you feel hours later, Look for patterns in and you can track stuff down.  If you can find what you think is the offender in its purest form and try it and see.

I found this old thread because I just had a reaction to Udi's frozen pizza. I've been hard-core gluten free for many years and have been eating Udi's frozen pizzas for the past couple without complaint ... until last night. My stomach is now doing somersaults in ways that I haven't experienced since the early days of my going gluten-free.

I figured it was worthwhile to mention the pizza to others to be cautious because the box was plastered with advertising about the "new and improved recipe" and "crispier crust". Udi's seems to be "improving" many of their product lines lately in ways that are making me stop buying their products altogether. In the cases of their bread products, it is the flavor and the texture that became inedible. But last night's pizza was different. It tasted great, but my entire immune system is now on high alert, and nothing in the ingredient list would cause me concern. 

Of course not every batch of food is the same and not every person's reactions are the same. In my experience, the better you do at eating gluten free and the fewer risks you take, the more sensitive you become to smaller amounts of gluten. There are plenty of people who react to the levels that are considered safe by the parts per million requirements that are currently the standard for gluten-free labeling in the U.S. You're very lucky if you're not one of them.

It is sad to see previous posters arguing about who is right, when everyone is just discussing their own experiences ... which can vary widely. And ultimately, the goal for all of us it simply to avoid getting glutened.

I'm going to do everyone that likes pizza a favor here.

a little history behind it:when I was 14 years old our class of building construction students were so unruly that our shop teacher quit, and the principal did what any smart principal would do.he put us in mrs wileys home economics class.mrs wiley ruled with an iron fist and a three foot ruler and after several whacks with that ruler, we all came around to her way of thinking and couldn't wait to learn to sew and cook.(true story)

Mrs Wileys NO CRUST PIZZA

enough meat to spread in a oven pan. usually 2 pounds hamburger meat.up to 3 lbs depending on pan size

2lb hamburger or more

1 egg

3 tbl Italian seasoning(can be found at store)if preferred can use oregano only

salt and pepper

heres where you get creative,put anything you want on it

its a pizza. (I put onions,peppers,mushrooms,caraway seeds,(cause I like them),olives,pepperonis, tomato sauce or pizza sauce(it's better with pizza sauce)cheese

there are two ways to do this first step.

1 on a broiler pan and let grease fall to bottom of pan

2 pressed in a pan, and be prepared to pour off grease and any water rendered.

place hamburger only in 325-350 oven, till partially done

add ingredients you want and cover with cheese. cook till done.

let me add to folks reading.try to quit freaking out over the wheat problem.

I'm a bonafide tested hd, with celiac. I find many wonderful things to eat.you can too. theres chicken,with vegetables, steak with vegetables,fish with vegetables,tacos(old elpaso)frijoles,the list goes on and on and on.....salads etc.quit fretting about the junk food you can't eat anc concentrate on the many naturally produced foods you can eat.like that pizza above.you all reading this that tries that power packed caloric pizza meal will forever thank me.bread be damned! who needs bread with a no crust pizza available!

ronnied

• Upvote 1

On 1/22/2019 at 2:10 PM, Ronnie d said:

I'm going to do everyone that likes pizza a favor here.

a little history behind it:when I was 14 years old our class of building construction students were so unruly that our shop teacher quit, and the principal did what any smart principal would do.he put us in mrs wileys home economics class.mrs wiley ruled with an iron fist and a three foot ruler and after several whacks with that ruler, we all came around to her way of thinking and couldn't wait to learn to sew and cook.(true story)

Mrs Wileys NO CRUST PIZZA

enough meat to spread in a oven pan. usually 2 pounds hamburger meat.up to 3 lbs depending on pan size

2lb hamburger or more

1 egg

3 tbl Italian seasoning(can be found at store)if preferred can use oregano only

salt and pepper

heres where you get creative,put anything you want on it

its a pizza. (I put onions,peppers,mushrooms,caraway seeds,(cause I like them),olives,pepperonis, tomato sauce or pizza sauce(it's better with pizza sauce)cheese

there are two ways to do this first step.

1 on a broiler pan and let grease fall to bottom of pan

2 pressed in a pan, and be prepared to pour off grease and any water rendered.

place hamburger only in 325-350 oven, till partially done

add ingredients you want and cover with cheese. cook till done.

let me add to folks reading.try to quit freaking out over the wheat problem.

I'm a bonafide tested hd, with celiac. I find many wonderful things to eat.you can too. theres chicken,with vegetables, steak with vegetables,fish with vegetables,tacos(old elpaso)frijoles,the list goes on and on and on.....salads etc.quit fretting about the junk food you can't eat anc concentrate on the many naturally produced foods you can eat.like that pizza above.you all reading this that tries that power packed caloric pizza meal will forever thank me.bread be damned! who needs bread with a no crust pizza available!

ronnied

Screenshot_20190129-202156_Gallery.jpg