Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

blueyes08

HELP! I'm a newbie and I need advice!

Rate this topic

Hi All,

I am a newbie to gluten free and also to this forum.  I am not diagnosed Celiac but do believe I am gluten sensitive.  With that being said I also want to note that when I went for the celiac blood test my doctor had me fast beforehand because he was testing for other things as well.  I fasted for 16 hrs total prior to the blood test so I don't know if results would be different had I not fasted.  About 2 years ago I started with a bloating issue but did not realize it was a true issue until the last year when the bloating became sever and relentless!  I turned to my doctor who ran several test (all negative for various things).  I started asking around if anyone has dealt with issues similar to mine and several people suggested I may be gluten sensitive.  I researched it and found several of the symptoms fit me to the "T".  Brain fog, bad fatigue, stabbing stomach pains, sever bloating, joint pains and constipation.  About 3 weeks ago i decided to go gluten-free.  With in 2 days my stomach pains and bloating seemed to disappear.  I also found I was no longer constipated.  However, the last few days I noticed my constipation is back as well as the bloating and stomach pains.  Although, not as sever as prior to going gluten-free but nonetheless it's still back.  My question is, is this normal????  I read that it can take several months for gluten to get out of your system but are flareups normal during this process?  I have been extra vigilant  about cross contamination.  I don't know if Im just losing my mind or what but all I know is the symptoms are coming back and so is my depression.  I just want to feel like my old self again and to know I am on the right track.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!! 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome.

Did you know that the celiac blood tests require that you eat gluten daily for 8 to 12 weeks?  If you even stop for two weeks, it can impact your blood test (s) results?  Fasting for 16 hours is not necessary, but I understand your doctor probably was testing your blood glucose or cholesterol.   Did your doctor discuss remaining on gluten with you?  

It might be helpful for you to do more research.  You might want to consume gluten again to get an official diagnosis that also requires an endoscopy with four to six biopsies that confirms intestinal villi damage.

One of the best celiac websites is the University of Chicago.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/screening/

Good Luck!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Did your doctor advise you to go gluten free before all testing is complete?  If your blood tests for celiac are positive (any of them), the next step is usually a referral to a GI doctor who can perform an endoscopy. 

Celiac Disease is an autoimmune disorder like Lupus or Multiple Sclerosis.  The difference is that doctors know that gluten triggers the autoimmune response that can last for days or months.  Other autoimmune disorders do not know what triggers the response.  

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

No my doctor didn't advise me on anything really.  After the blood test was negative he didn't set up any other tests or follow ups.  Unfortunately our insurance isn't the best and I already have several other medical bills im paying so right now I can't really afford to get the endoscopy done.  Right now Im just winging it on my own.  All I know is that I am desperate to feel better!

Join eNewsletter

I am sorry if I sounded short and cross :(.  I can not believe that doctors do not take the time to research and council prospective celiac patients.   My husband's GP and my old allergist advised him to go gluten free some 14 years ago.  It worked.  He's fine.  But it took a long time and a lot of cheating for him to  really realize that that gluten was impacting him.  Now there's no way he'd go back on gluten for 12 weeks to get an official diagnosis.  He will tell you that I have had it a lot easier in terms of medical, family and friends supporting me.  They all believe me....it's "not in my head".  

The good news is that your doctor sounds like he at least ran the celiac tests for you.  So many of our members have struggled to find a diagnosis for all their symptoms.  It is so frustrating!  So, please forgive me for being so abrupt!  

If you do find that you have celiac disease, it will take lots of time and patience to heal (months to years).  It will happen!  If all tests are negative, you can try the gluten free diet.  It may help! :) 

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

34 minutes ago, blueyes08 said:

No my doctor didn't advise me on anything really.  After the blood test was negative he didn't set up any other tests or follow ups.  Unfortunately our insurance isn't the best and I already have several other medical bills im paying so right now I can't really afford to get the endoscopy done.  Right now Im just winging it on my own.  All I know is that I am desperate to feel better!

So, going gluten free might be worth a shot!  :)  Please read our Newbie 101 section under the "Coping" section for valuable tips like cross contamination (which you know about) and hidden sources of gluten (lipstick, lip balm, shampoo -- in case you swallow, etc., kissing someone who just ate gluten....) 

Give it six months though.....Good luck and I hope you feel better soon! 

Anemia -- Resolved

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

It's ok I understand the frustration and it didn't come across that way lol.  I am sorry that your husband had such a hard time with it all, I know it cant be easy.  I do like my doctor but i also think he passes things off quickly too.  Im so desperate for a solution I was willing to try just about anything!  When some friends who  deal with celiacs suggested gluten-free I was willing to give it a try.  I honestly feel better!  Most of my symptoms I have been dealing with have started to subside.  I don't always trust doctors but I also don't like to self diagnose either.  From what I have read there is no concrete test to prove gluten sensitivity other then a gluten-free diet.  If you know of anything that might be helpful in this area i would appreciate any advice.  Unfortunately trying to get doctors to hear me and not pass me off is a challenge.  I do plan on seeing a GI doctor anyway on my own in hopes of getting somewhere with someone else.

Join eNewsletter