Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Roxane

Making my kitchen Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Just diagnosed March 3.  Trying to get my kitchen Gluten Free but having trouble with what I need to replace.  Getting a new toaster, teflan pan and colander.  Do I need to replace all my plastic and rubber spatulas, cookie sheets, stoneware and silverware?  I am getting mixed message in articles I am reading.  Please help!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome!  

Just think about tossing anything that is porous, can be scratched or has tiny holes that are impossible to clean.  Stoneware has to go.  You can reseason cast iron, clean grille grates, keep silverware, glass ware, stainless pots and pans.  Get new plastic ware, scrapers, wooden spoons, etc.  I scrubbed my old cookie sheets that were dedicated to cookies (they were gunk free)  and kept using them.  I always line everything with parchment.  gluten-free flours tend to stick.  Parchment is great.  

Is your kitchen shared or dedicated?  If share pick a color to distinguish gluten-free things.  Pick a shelf dedicated to you.  

I sure others have input.  I am sure I am forgetting something!  

Oh, when we travel we use toaster bags and I use foil when using someone else's grille (extended family).  I keep a bin of gluten-free cooking utensils at my parent's house too.  

Ask away!  Oh, did you see the Newbie 101 section under the "Coping" section?   Lots of great tips.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Thank you cyclinglady!  This helped a lot.  The kitchen will be completed Gluten Free soon.  I have separate shelves and counter tops for now.  I didn't really think about the stoneware.  I have had it for years.  Glad I ask!

I have read the Newbie 101 section.  I just needed to clarify.

I will take all the suggestions I can get.

Join eNewsletter

I maintained a shared kitchen for years (hubby has been gluten-free for 14 years).  We went completely gluten-free when I was diagnosed three years ago.  Our non-celiac kid?  Too bad for her!  Actually, it was best.  As she got older, she started working in the kitchen.  It was too stressful!  She's a kid and is going to make mistakes (adults make them all the time!)  So, she gets her gluten fix at school.  I send her off with pre-packaged gluten-filled products.  She does have a separate thermos for her organic frozen burritos and I put gluten-free soups and chili's in it.  That's it (washed separately with her dedicated sponge by me).    Luckily, she loves gluten-free cakes and cookies.  She would rather eat my gluten-free chocolate mayonnaise cake (I use Pamela's gluten-free flour) over a store-bought cake any day!  

She does eat enough gluten to get tested.  She'll be tested every two years or so (sooner if symptom appear) for the rest of her life.  I presented with anemia, so that is one test that our GP checks at every physical.  

Oh, we do not eat anything prepared by anyone (family or friend).  The exception is my Mom who has been trained and I supervise food purchases, etc.  Luckily, they have two kitchens.  The basement kitchen is gluten-free dedicated.  Perfect because we spend weeks with my parents.  I also keep a bin with gluten-free items tucked away when we are not there.  I haul this to our family lake house.  We manage to eat safely even with all those gluten-eating folks!  (e.g. foil on grille, toaster bags, never eat even gluten-free chips that have been opened, first in line on all buffets).  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter