This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Non-Stick Cooking Spray?

E-Ren89

E-Ren89 Newbie

Hello,

I am just getting into the process of learning all I can about products that are Gluten-Free. One of my good friends is a Celiac. I can only imagine the frustration she goes through with foods. I invited her over for a mini dinner party. I have just gotten into cooking and I wanted to do something for her. So with that said, I found a recipe I want to attempt but the whole looking for gluten-free products makes me nervous. This link is what I am going to attempt;  Open Original Shared Link

Now everything seems straightforward and it is even titled to be GlutenFree. But cooking non stick spray, I read that gluten may be in it. I want to find something I can use but will not be something I should concern myself with when she eats this. I saw coconut oil sprays but I do not know how that will effect the flavor for her. I know there are a million ingredients to look for on labels which is why it is a bit intimidating for me but because of how good of a friend she is to me I want to learn everything I can about it so I can cook for her without worry. This particular one I am more so focused on the Non Stick Cooking spray.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

It is so nice that you want to make a meal for your friend who has celiac disease.  However, as nice of a gesture it is, as a person with celiac, I never eat food prepared by anyone who does not have celiac themselves or is a trained chef.  Why?  Well, you noticed that cooking spray might have gluten.  But what about your non-stick pans, wooden spoons, colander, toaster, cutting board, plastic ware, the list is endless!   Cross contamination is a serious problem for celiacs.  

I would invite her over and suggest that she bring her meal.  You can offer her gluten-free prepackaged snacks, or fresh fruit and veggies (cut on a paper plate)  but allow her to read the packages and let her be first to sample them.   (After a bag of chips in opened at my parent's house, I never reach for seconds!).  Offer her a glass of wine if she drinks or a soft drink or coffee.  Be prepared for her to read labels.  Even tea is not always gluten free.  

I am hosting a party of friends.  I am preparing the food.  I know they want to contribute, so one is bringing salad fixings and the other fruit.  I will wash and prepare what they bring.  

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder that is triggered by gluten.  One crumb can set off a flare-up that can last for weeks or months.  Seriously!

So, invite her over and don't make a big deal about her having celiac disease.  The most important thing is to enjoy the company!  

E-Ren89 Newbie

I discussed it actually and I am actually buying brand new pans and such for this. I am cleaning the kitchen more than I have ever cleaned anything before. That is why I wanted to start with a super simple recipe like the one I found. I understand the concern of cross contamination though, which is why I am not going to be careless in any way and be super careful, especially since I will be using new cookware. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
15 minutes ago, E-Ren89 said:

I discussed it actually and I am actually buying brand new pans and such for this. I am cleaning the kitchen more than I have ever cleaned anything before. That is why I wanted to start with a super simple recipe like the one I found. I understand the concern of cross contamination though, which is why I am not going to be careless in any way and be super careful, especially since I will be using new cookware. 

May I suggest you read our Newbie 101 thread located under the "coping" section of the forum?   You might find some helpful tips!  

Enjoy your meal!  

SLLRunner Enthusiast
15 minutes ago, E-Ren89 said:

E-Ran89, you indeed sounds like a wonderful friend.  Will your friend with celiac be helping you in this process? If she has not already asked to help prepare, or to buy the new dishes, I would offer this to her.  With dietary restrictions, and especially with an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten, it's important to have control when it comes to food. 

E-Ren89 Newbie
40 minutes ago, SLLRunner said:

E-Ran89, you indeed sounds like a wonderful friend.  Will your friend with celiac be helping you in this process? If she has not already asked to help prepare, or to buy the new dishes, I would offer this to her.  With dietary restrictions, and especially with an autoimmune disease triggered by gluten, it's important to have control when it comes to food. 

I  most certainly am. I demanded (in a fun friendly joking way of course) she sent me any ideas that sounded good to her, and that recipe above was one of them she actually had saved on her Pinterest. So I have been making sure I am talking to her about literally everything about it all. Again from being someone outside of her world of gluten free lifestyle it seems like it can be very frustrating, so I am not just getting stuff online and making something I "think" will be okay, I have been talking to her about all the details. Normally I wouldn't think anything of the cooking spray but because of how crazy careful I intend to be I am questioning about everything and not just the spray alone. I just got a cutting board exclusively for her to make things with since the one I normally use which is wooden, I do not want to risk only washing that one like I can with dishes and pans (I talked to her about that part too and she lives with someone who eats gluten and she has been totally fine about using same dishes as long as they are washed thoroughly). But the wood of the cutting board can have cuts creases or dents that may not be reached. So I got another one (still wood) but new untouched and will be used exclusively for this.

kareng Grand Master

Just answering the basic question about non stick cooking spray - I have never seen a PLAIN cooking spray with gluten.  DO NO USE The BAKING SPRAYs!  Read the ingredients.  The baking ones with say they have oil and flour.  Those are not the normal ones you use to cook chicken or potatoes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master
26 minutes ago, kareng said:

Just answering the basic question about non stick cooking spray - I have never seen a PLAIN cooking spray with gluten.  DO NO USE The BAKING SPRAYs!  Read the ingredients.  The baking ones with say they have oil and flour.  Those are not the normal ones you use to cook chicken or potatoes.

Thanks, Karen!  

Irene Joanne Explorer

I never use cooking sprays anymore- I just brush oil in my pans or use paper towel dipped in oil to grease things. 

Gemini Experienced
On 3/27/2016 at 10:15 PM, kareng said:

What kareng said!  Except for the baking sprays that contain flour, I have yet to find a cooking spray (plain) that was not safe to use.

I think you will be able to learn to cook for a Celiac with no problems.  If you take instruction from her and have the few, necessary dedicated items for use with gluten-free cooking only, there is no reason you cannot make her a safe meal. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to do this......just pay attention to detail. You already understand the difference between porous items that can be a problem and regular dishes that require nothing more than a good washing after use.  I am a very sensitive Celiac but common sense goes a long way!  You are a good friend......

Nikki2777 Community Regular

How nice of you - and it does sound like you are going the extra mile to be careful. 

I  have one of those pump things, and just use olive oil  in it as a cooking spray.  When that gets clogged, I just brush some olive oil on.  

Good luck.

Archived