KatieKing

Endoscopy in 9 days after being low-gluten for a year. What to eat?

Rate this topic

I didn't suspect that gluten was the root of my problems. It was discovered that I might be celiac by my neuro. Prior to that I had such a severe loss of appetite I barely ate, coupled with an aversion to many foods (really anything processed, bread, cereals etc) that I probably only consumed gluten once or twice a week for nearly a year. Since I had the positive ttg igg I was told not to consume gluten so I've been off and on. I read that I need to eat it so the biopsy is accurate, but with my neurological symptoms I get scared and eat gluten for two days and then stop for a day or two.

So I have 9 days until my endoscopy  - what do I need to eat to help my diagnosis if it is celiac. I saw a recommendation of two slices of bread - does it matter what type - is white worse then wheat? I have eaten a considerably larger amount of gluten the past 3 weeks then over the past year, but probably only 4 days a week average.  Suggestions?

Katie, it is hard to give you advice when we are not "walking in your shoes".  But if I were to risk terrible symptoms if would be for artisan breads, pastries  and cakes and not some tasteless old white bread.  

Katie, it is hard to give you advice when we are not "walking in your shoes".  But if I were to risk terrible symptoms if would be for artisan breads, pastries  and cakes and not some tasteless old white bread.  

I like your line of thought. lol. Homemade banana muffins it is. 

I saw my gi today and he said to not worry about eating gluten. I have abdominal pain in the small intestine area and referred pain in my back, indicating pretty bad damage. So I'll just go without the gluten and do the genetic testing if needed.

I agree Katie, the gluten challenge isn't worthwhile for some people.  Regardless of your test results, I think you know the answer is not to eat gluten anymore.  I hope you recover quickly from the damage.