This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Guess I Have To Starve?

frustratedneicey

frustratedneicey Apprentice

Hi. I am new to this forum. I have been checking it out for a few weeks and finally have decided to write. I was dx with Celiac almost a year ago and have become more frustrated with the diet than I was at the beginning. I also have a dx of "possible MS" and have not been able to work for over a year now and have been forced to live on very limited cash and am on medical assistance now and food stamps. This is all very embarrasing to me, and that on top of my daily struggles brings me down to low , low depth of depression.

I feel hungry all of the time because the price of gluten free foods is so so expensive, and I am sick of eating bland food to avoid getting sick. Everyone makes suggestions, but they do not seem to realize that I do not have the money to get these foods. I do not have the money to buy a guide for mainstream foods that are gluten free in the grocery store. I feel that Celiac disease is for the well-off only, because I have gotten to the point of feeling that only the well-off are the ones who can cope with the disease because they are the only ones that can afford the food that is worth eating. I would rather starve than get sick or eat ho-hum foods for the rest of my life. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone on a very very limited income?? PLEASE HELP ME!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Noelle126 Apprentice

Well I don't have a high income at all and I seem to find that I just try to eat foods that are naturally gluten free (salads, veggies (canned and fresh), fruits) I make soups and I seem to be spending the same about as I used to before going Gluten free...

Guest nini

I too am on a very limited income... I stay away from a lot of the processed foods like a lot of the prepared specialty gluten free items... of course this means I don't get to fill up on donuts and bagels and cookies and pretzels all the time, but that food is crap anyway.

I stick with a diet of fresh fruits and vegetables with McCormick Spices and plain ol butter...

Kraft Cheeses, all kinds... I love cheese, it's a life saver and a good source of protein

I buy meats on sale (I do buy the organic meats though because I'm also allergic to antibiotics in meats) but you could buy sale meats at your local grocer as long as they are fresh cuts and have nothing added. You can cook a wide variety of meals with a limited selection of meats... feel free to e-mail me with any recipe questions.

I also stick with potatoes, rice and corn for starches... I love to cook with rice and dried beans. It's one of my fave things to do. I can have easy chili with canned tomatoes and ground beef, dried beans and Pace picante salsa...

It does require more cooking from scratch, but I save my cooking days for days that I feel better and then make large batches and freeze in small containers that I buy at the dollar store... this makes for great quick meals when I am not feeling like cooking.

Kraft will not hide gluten in it's labeling, so you can find stuff this way, also, Wal Mart Great Value Brand has started labeling which products of theirs are gluten free, so far I've seen lunchmeats and dairy products... keep looking! There is a lot out there that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

Classico alfredo sauces *even the creamy alfredo* are gluten-free.

Over rice with Chicken and a veggie.. cheap and flavorful.

Bush's baked beans

Emeri's new sausages. Chop, fry, toss with rice and veggies... use spaghetti sauce or Alfredo sauce.

Kielbasa, sourkraut and potatoes.. with Gulden's spicey mustard.

Stuffed green peppers. Chopped meat, rice, spaghetti sauce. Extra garlic salt for extra flavor.

Split pea soup. Chop in ham, onion salt and pepper.

Tacos. Old el Paso taco sauce in a jar.

Chili. A McCormick chili powder, beans, meat, frozen corn, one green pepper, cans of tomatoes.

What have you been eating? The ideas above are flavorful, cheap and gluten free. No specialty stores involved at all....

Can you afford a bag of Tinkyada pastas???

You can get the Progresso Clam sauces in a jar and pour them right over your Tinkyada pastas. Add a little garlic salt for extra spiceyness.

These ideas are far more than what we eat for variety. I only cook a few varied meals. No one's bored here.

MySuicidalTurtle Enthusiast

Like everyone else said eggs, vegetables, fruit, meats, and such are naturally gluten-free. If you have a famers market by you you could find those things even cheaper than a regular store. If you like some special gluten-free products you could buy them on sale and then freeze them. A lot of spices are gluten-free.

traveljunkie Rookie

I'm so sad to hear about your problems but like everyone is saying most of the gluten-free food that s expensive is not good for you anyway!! My family and I have been eating more veggies and fruit(love making smoothies). You can find soup and cereal at a reasonable cost. Also, I know gluten-free free bread is more expensive but would last you a long time.It doesn't go bad due to it being frozen. I understand your frusteration but actually if you think about it, you still have lots of inexpensive choices as Nini posted!

kevsmom Contributor

I have been home recovering from ankle surgery for the past 6 weeks. It has given me opportunity to do a lot of internet research. Here are some things that I have found that might help you. Remember, product ingredients do change sometimes, so you still need to read labels for changes.

Mainstream Gluten Foods (Stuff you can find in the food store)

HORMEL SHELF-STABLE FOODS Not Containing Gluten

• CHI-CHI'S® Fiesta Sweet Corn Cake Mix

• CHI-CHI'S® Taco Sauce

• DINTY MOORE AMERICAN CLASSICS®: Beef Stew, Chicken & Rice

• DINTY MOORE® Beef or Chicken Stew

• DINTY MOORE® Microwave Meals: Scalloped Potatoes & Ham, Beef Stew, Corned Beef Hash

• HERB-OX® Bouillon: Beef, Chicken, Vegetable, Spicy Chicken, Garlic Chicken

• HORMEL® Microwave Herb Roasted Rice Cups

HORMEL MEAT Items Not Containing Gluten

• BLACK LABEL® Bacon

• ALWAYS TENDER® Flavored Fresh Beef: Peppercorn, Homestyle Pot Roast

• ALWAYS TENDER™ Flavored Fresh Chicken: Roast, Italian, Lemon-Pepper

• ALWAYS TENDER® Flavored Fresh Pork: Lemon-Garlic, Mesquite, Mojo Criollo, Porketta, Onion-Garlic, Salsa

• ALWAYS TENDER® Non-Flavored Fresh Pork

• ALWAYS TENDER™ Flavored Fresh Turkey: Roast, Italian

• BLACK LABEL® Canned Hams

• CURE 81® Ham: Bone-in, Boneless, Old Fashioned Spiral

• HORMEL® Canadian Style Bacon

• HORMEL® Fully Cooked Bacon

• HORMEL® Fully-Cooked Entrées: Beef Roast Au Jus, Pork Roast Au Jus

• HORMEL® Ham Patties

• HORMEL® Microwave Bacon

• HORMEL™ Snack Size Meats and Cheese: Cooked Ham, Smoked Ham, Honey Ham, Smoked Turkey, Roasted Turkey, Colby & Monterey Jack Cheese, Cheddar Cheese

• OLD SMOKEHOUSE™ Bacon

• RANGE BRAND® Bacon

• RED LABEL™ Bacon

• VALUE BRAND™ Sliced Bacon

• JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Deli Chicken Breast: Buffalo Style, Oven Roasted, Mesquite Smoked

• JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Smoked Turkey Breast: Mesquite, Hickory, Honey Cured

• JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Oven Roasted Turkey Breast

• JENNIE-O TURKEY STORE® Hickory Smoked Turkey Breast

• JENNIE-O® NATURAL CHOICE® Turkey Breast: Oven Roasted, Peppered, Tender Browned

• JENNIE-O® GRAND CHAMPION® Turkey Breast: Oven Roasted, Tender Browned, Mesquite Smoked, Homestyle Pan Roasted, Hickory Smoked, Honey Cured

• JENNIE-O® Turkey Breast: Oven Roasted, Peppered, Smoked, Tender Browned, Italian Style, Honey Maple, Honey Mesquite, Maple Spiced, Apple Cinnamon, Tomato Basil, Mesquite Smoked NORWESTERN® Deli

Meat

Any meat seasoned with individual herbs or spices

Purdue Short Cuts: Honey Roasted, Original Roasted

Eggs

Hard Cheeses (Cheddar, Swiss, Edam, Parmesan)

Soup Products

Swanson Natural Goodness Chicken Broth 14 oz

Swanson Natural Goodness Chicken Broth 14 oz

Swanson RTS Beef Broth 14.5 oz

Swanson RTS Chicken Broth 14.5 oz.

Hain Chicken and Beef Broth

Hannaford Chicken Broth

Campbell Chicken Broth 16 oz

Campbell Hearty Chicken White and Wild Rice 16 oz

Salad Dressings/Sauces/Margarines

Newman’s Own Light Italian

Newman’s Own Ranch

Newman’s Own Balsamic Vinaigrette

Newman’s Own Newman’s Own Parmesan

and Roasted Garlic

Newman’s Own Olive Oil and Vinegar

Newman’s Own Creamy Italian

(Parmesanio Italianio)

Newman’s Own Light Balsamic Vinaigrette

Kraft Italian Classic Free

Kraft Balsamic Italian Free

Annie’s Natural Basil & Garlic w/Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Annie’s Natural Cowgirl Ranch

Annie’s Natural Organic Buttermilk

Wishbone Fat Free Ranch

Wishbone Fat Free Italian

Wishbone Lite Ranch

Cattlemen’s Classic Barbecue Sauce

LaChoy Soy Sauce

Hellman’s Low Fat Mayonnaise

Hellman’s Real Mayonnaise

Heinz Ketchup

Prego Traditional Pasta Sauce – Marinara, Flavored with Meat, 3 Cheese, Tomato, Basil and Garlic, Mini Meatball, Roasted Garlic and Herb, Roasted Garlic Parmesan, Ricotta Parmesan

*A lot of the grocery stores now sell corn and rice pasta. It's not as good as the Tinkyada, but it is very filling. I find that I have to "skim" the starch off of the top and rinse it well.

Ragu Pasta Sauce – States that at this time contains modified CORN starch, but this is subject to change. Read the label.

Mainstream Margarine - (Smart Beat Super Light Margarine; I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Fat Free, Light, Squeeze; Safeway Margarine, Safeway Vegetable Oil Spread; Promise Margarine; Parkay Margarine; Mrs. Filberts Margarine, Smart Balance 37% Light Buttery, 67% Buttery Spread, Light Buttery, Country Crock - gluten-free as of 11/05 – check label in case ingredients changed).

A lot of companies have a list of gluten free products on their web page. If you have something specific that you are looking for, check with the manufacturer.

I also managed to get some quick and easy mainstream recipes (That's the only way I cook). If you would like them, just let me know.

Cindy

kevsmom@qis.net

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I too felt very limited at first. However, since I have been quite capable in the kitchen I never saw the need to resort to high-priced prepackaged fancy foods. I can't afford it anyway.

The suggestions made by others are good. I would only stress that it is important to avoid additives, and maximize the nutritional value of each meal. Your compromized digestive system needs all the help it can get in obtaining nutrients from food, and not being overcome by chemicals and junk, which it will have a more difficult time dealing with than someone without celiac disease.

I get fresh frozen veggies, which last longer than fresh raw ones, so I don't end up throwing half of them away. It's a small price to pay in exchange for the benefits, so I think it ends up being more economical. I believe I get the nutrients I need this way, so I don't buy vitamins, which is a real cost savings in itself. I also eat rice, potatoes and such often. I don't like a lot of spicey stuff, so I generally don't use any spices except a pinch of salt. I will use a few spices every now and then when I feel like it though. Sometimes I'll get a jar of ready-made sauce to put on a meal, and wow is that stuff spicey! I'm not used to it, so I notice the flavors more than anyone I know. I have come to appreciate the natural goodness and flavors of foods. Even many veggies are sweet to me now. That may sound odd to you and most others I imagine, but it's true. I actually have a hard time eating some fruits because they are too sweet for me to tolerate. One that comes to mind is raisins - just a few will irritate my throat something aweful. If I want a sweetener for something (not typical for me) like a peanut butter sandwich or homemade muffins, etc, I use a bit of plain unsweetened apple sauce. Homemade carrot cake is nice just the way it turns out just from the carrots. That's even before I went gluten-free.

Margarine for my food is what hits the spot for me. I admit I probably eat too much of that. When it comes to "pleasure foods" (snacks), I like crunchy/salted ones like chips. I just found a recipe for gluten-free sesame crackers which I'm going to try to morf into those little crunchy sesame sticks.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Hi. I am new to this forum. I have been checking it out for a few weeks and finally have decided to write. I was dx with Celiac almost a year ago and have become more frustrated with the diet than I was at the beginning. I also have a dx of "possible MS" and have not been able to work for over a year now and have been forced to live on very limited cash and am on medical assistance now and food stamps. This is all very embarrasing to me, and that on top of my daily struggles brings me down to low , low depth of depression.

I feel hungry all of the time because the price of gluten free foods is so so expensive, and I am sick of eating bland food to avoid getting sick. Everyone makes suggestions, but they do not seem to realize that I do not have the money to get these foods. I do not have the money to buy a guide for mainstream foods that are gluten free in the grocery store. I feel that Celiac disease is for the well-off only, because I have gotten to the point of feeling that only the well-off are the ones who can cope with the disease because they are the only ones that can afford the food that is worth eating. I would rather starve than get sick or eat ho-hum foods for the rest of my life. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone on a very very limited income?? PLEASE HELP ME!!

The same advice stands for general eating on a very limited budget as for eating gluten-free on a very limited budget - buy foods that are unprocessed, naturally gluten-free, and pack high nutrition and satiety into a low price. Beans are a good one for this - buy bulk, dry beans, soak them yourself overnight, and use them in soups, burritos, casseroles, baked dishes, dips, so on. Beans, in bulk, are very cheap, and a good source of complex carbs, fiber, and protein to keep you full. Other gluten-free bulk grains, like rice and corn, can help fill this need as well.

Stick to fresh vegetables that are in season and on sale, doing anything and everything you can with them. If they're on sale, stock up on sweet potatoes, which are more nutritious than regular potatoes, and last a while. Same thing with winter squash, and some winter fruits like apples. And the same thing with meats - stick to on sale cuts, and use them in combination with grains, legumes, and vegetables to stretch them farther. Eggs can also be an inexpensive protein source, and can be used in many types of dishes.

Guest katzmeow21

Hello

If they think you might has MS, you really need to take in only whole foods and NO processed foods.

Little bits of meat only. NO soy, red meat, msg, L- glutamine supplements.

PLease consider this for your grocery list because you need it! And if you are only feeding yourself you can do it.

Take Vitamin D at least 800mg 2-3x day, Cod liver Oil 2 tbsp. a day (divided) and a great quality supplement for general vitamins and minerals.

The cod liver oil will help stabilize your mood:]

take care and maybe we can talk later. I

'm in a hurry and need to go.

PS I had a father with MS and I also have celiac disease with Possible Ms.....

regards MJ

Claire Collaborator

This comment may not be appreciated.

It is my belief that those who have the hardest time with the gluten-free diet - whether by emotional deprivation or financial stress - really have a basic problem in commin. All are looking to replace the so called pleasure/comfort foods of the pre Celiac days. Cakes, pies, ice cream, pizza, bread, doughnuts and on and on. None of this is healthy food. It tastes good but it is not healthy and not necessary.

A gluten-free diet is a healthy diet. Many food suggestions have already been made above here. If you only buy the most basic gluten-free stuff - flour, rice pasta, etc and then stick with the basic foods you would normally have [hopefully] - veggies, fruits, etc. - You will be neither hungry or broke. Yes, if you need to buy the gluten-free specialites you will certainly be broke. Your mind may tell you that you need that stuff - but your body knows better.

The endless stories on this forum of people who have ended a lot of health problems in addition to celiac by going gluten-free is a testimony to its' value to our health.

Great suggestions by others here. You are making it harder for yourself than it needs to be. Take the good advice.

We just had a great Thanksgiving dinner here and I did not purchase one gluten-free prepared food. I did buy Tofutti Creme Chees but it cost very little more than Philly.

You can do this - with whatever you have. Claire

Jnkmnky Collaborator

It is my belief that those who have the hardest time with the gluten-free diet - whether by emotional deprivation or financial stress - really have a basic problem in commin. All are looking to replace the so called pleasure/comfort foods of the pre Celiac days. Cakes, pies, ice cream, pizza, bread, doughnuts and on and on. None of this is healthy food. It tastes good but it is not healthy and not necessary. I beg to differ....That's your opinion. I feel some junk is necessary.-jnkmnky A gluten-free diet is a healthy diet. Many food suggestions have already been made above here. If you only buy the most basic gluten-free stuff - flour, rice pasta, etc and then stick with the basic foods you would normally have [hopefully] - veggies, fruits, etc. - You will be neither hungry or broke. Yes, if you need to buy the gluten-free specialites you will certainly be broke. Your mind may tell you that you need that stuff - but your body knows better.

The endless stories on this forum of people who have ended a lot of health problems in addition to celiac by going gluten-free is a testimony to its' value to our health.

Great suggestions by others here. You are making it harder for yourself than it needs to be. Take the good advice.

We just had a great Thanksgiving dinner here and I did not purchase one gluten-free prepared food. I did buy Tofutti Creme Chees but it cost very little more than Philly.

Well, you don't have to become a health food nut just because you're dxed with celiac disease. There's plenty of junk food still available to CDers. I'm all for junk in moderation. Here's a list of all the good crap. :P

Lays Stax

Snickers bars

peppermint patties

hershey's kisses

3Musketeers

recess pb cups

Bologna *oscar mayer*

Lots of Breyer's Ice cream

Kondike bars

McDonald's shakes

Burger king Shakes

M&Ms

Reddi whip

UCLAngle has a great PB cookie recipe here somewhere. I use real sugar.

Skittles

Hershey's bars

Mounds

Almond joy

Cheetos

Kinnikinnick makes good donuts. Get the chocolate glazed and add lots of Pilsburry chocolate fudge icing.

Just because you get dxed with celiac disease doesn't mean you have to turn over a new, healthy leaf. A lot of us are just regular, fast food eating, junk food junkies who are willing to forgo the gluten but don't want to become tree-hugging, PETA approvin, granolas.... Although, I support everyone's right to be all that and more. ;)

Guest nini
Well, you don't have to become a health food nut just because you're dxed with celiac disease. There's plenty of junk food still available to CDers. I'm all for junk in moderation.

Just because you get dxed with celiac disease doesn't mean you have to turn over a new, healthy leaf. A lot of us are just regular, fast food eating, junk food junkies who are willing to forgo the gluten but don't want to become tree-hugging, PETA approvin, granolas.... Although, I support everyone's right to be all that and more. ;)

LOL!!!! This just really cracks me up! Yes I admit I have become an advocate for healthy eating, BUT I'm also the first to admit that I love my junk food too! ROTFLMAO...

I just discovered that I cannot tolerate the junk anymore. My body just rejects it. But I still allow my daughter to have some of the "junk" in moderation of course!!!

lovegrov Collaborator

Commenting on folks trying to replace ice cream -- except for the obvious flavors like cookies and cake and Oreo, the vast majority of ice creams are gluten-free. No need to look for replacements.

richard

Rachel--24 Collaborator

:lol::lol::lol:

I could never see myself as a "granola"....I LOVE junk.

Too bad my body is forcing me, against my will, to learn to eat healthy.

I've turned over a new leaf...BUT....you wont see me hugging any trees....yet. ;)

Guest katzmeow21
Well, you don't have to become a health food nut just because you're dxed with celiac disease. There's plenty of junk food still available to CDers. I'm all for junk in moderation. Here's a list of all the good crap. :P

Lays Stax

Snickers bars

peppermint patties

hershey's kisses

3Musketeers

recess pb cups

Bologna *oscar mayer*

Lots of Breyer's Ice cream

Kondike bars

McDonald's shakes

Burger king Shakes

M&Ms

Reddi whip

UCLAngle has a great PB cookie recipe here somewhere. I use real sugar.

Skittles

Hershey's bars

Mounds

Almond joy

Cheetos

Kinnikinnick makes good donuts. Get the chocolate glazed and add lots of Pilsburry chocolate fudge icing.

No you may not HAVE to turn over a new leaf UNLESS you continue to progress with another immune related problem in which case it may be wise..... And NO you don't have to hug trees either.....

Either way, in the end, your own health is in your own hands. And moderation with JUNK doesn't work when it comes to comprimised immune systems and leaky gut problems.

Sometimes I think a lot of people on this board don't really get or understand the system of digestion or what our bodies do with the foods we eat. And it really is a pitty since we all have access to any information about our celiac disease and related illness's and yet we choose ignorance. :(

It is my belief that those who have the hardest time with the gluten-free diet - whether by emotional deprivation or financial stress - really have a basic problem in commin. All are looking to replace the so called pleasure/comfort foods of the pre Celiac days. Cakes, pies, ice cream, pizza, bread, doughnuts and on and on. None of this is healthy food. It tastes good but it is not healthy and not necessary.

A gluten-free diet is a healthy diet. Many food suggestions have already been made above here. If you only buy the most basic gluten-free stuff - flour, rice pasta, etc and then stick with the basic foods you would normally have [hopefully] - veggies, fruits, etc. - You will be neither hungry or broke. Yes, if you need to buy the gluten-free specialites you will certainly be broke. Your mind may tell you that you need that stuff - but your body knows better.

Just wanted to take a moment to let you know I totally agree!

regards mj

Noelle126 Apprentice

I think in the end everyone needs to just understand their digestive system more. I know when I have had too much junk and not enough good food. I know the junk food isn't good for me and my body tells me when I haven't had enough healthy food. I'm not a huge junk fan but man sometimes during saturday football watching I crave the old stuff (like pizza and beer) and so I let myself eat a little bit of junk food...but this is my decision. It is also my decision to make sure I get all the nutrients I need. I eat mostly naturally gluten free healthy foods but I get that little bit of junk in there once in a while...I just have to keep it in moderation.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Thank you Claire for your comments here. That was my impression as well, but I held back.

For me, sugar is poison, plain and simple. I cannot eat it, especially refined sugars. However, as I said I've always prefered salted snacks anyway. Every now and then, I get some organic corn tortilla chips, or some rippled potato chips. Both are safe and really give me that "boost". I do have a complaint about the amount of salt though. They always put too much, and I've observed the same brand over time actually increasing the salt. Strange as it may seem, the non-rippled potato chips make me sick to my stomach, even just smelling them, and I haven't noticed low sodium rippled chips in the store yet. I don't have pleasure food very often, and I find that when I do it's much more satisfying than if I have them too frequently. Once every two months or so is probably an accurate figure.

The point is, the more often you have the pleasure foods, the less meaningfull each bite can become. It's like any drug, where over time the person uses more and more to get the same high. Moderation and self control play a part here. I wait 'till I really feel like I "just gotta have my treat" before I go for it. Then I get more "bang for the buck". The same is true for spices and flavorings. I can't tell you how many times I see people pile on the toppings and condements, and I just feel like slapping them silly and saying Don't you realize how much you are putting? I see the same thing in commercials for this stuff too. For example; dips and salsa - They show the people litterally scooping as much onto the chips as possible. There's more dip than chip! It's little wonder why so many americans are grossly overweight.

The "diet food" industry has taken advantage of the public in a variety of ways too. The very products which are promoted as healthy and/or good for losing weight are just as bad if not worse than the "regular" stuff. They put MSG in tons of stuff, which has been known for many years to stimulate appetite and cause diabetes among other things. It goes into the brain and overstimulates certain areas, actually killing brain tissues. Labs use MSG fed rats in diabetes testing, because rats don't normally get fat or diabetic on their own. Obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancers, and so many others are modern day diseases, brought on by modern lifestyles and eating habits. The proof is clear, since such problems were not at virtually epidemic proportions even a few decades ago.

BTW, the white stuff in oreo cookies is apparently LARD, sugar, and other things, though the company has never disclosed all the ingredients. They claim it's a trade secret, and the FDA allows this in all kinds of "food" products. Yes, that's right. A company can claim the recipe is a trade secret, and not list the ingredients, and it's somehow allowed by law!

While I certainly understand the emotional benefits to have a treat now and then, I won't sacrifice my health for it. I guess there is a point of compromise though. After all, nothing is 100% good these days anyway. But that's no excuse to be foolish enough to eat total junk. Plenty of real foods are very tasty and satisfying. A person's point of reference makes a huge difference in this, which is why I mentioned earlier how I appreciate the natural flavors of vegetables and such.

I hope the above isn't too much of a rant :)

No you may not HAVE to turn over a new leaf UNLESS you continue to progress with another immune related problem in which case it may be wise..... And NO you don't have to hug trees either.....

Either way, in the end, your own health is in your own hands. And moderation with JUNK doesn't work when it comes to comprimised immune systems and leaky gut problems.

Sometimes I think a lot of people on this board don't really get or understand the system of digestion or what our bodies do with the foods we eat. And it really is a pitty since we all have access to any information about our celiac disease and related illness's and yet we choose ignorance. :(

Very well put. I have nothing to add at this point after all the comments by others on this thread.

jknnej Collaborator

I think another problem beginners have is that they don't want to spend a lot of time preparing food. I am a great cok but don't really love to cook so when I got diagnosed I had to get over the frustration of having to prepare my food all of the time. I used to be able to just go out when I didn't feel like cooking; we can't do that as much anymore and it does suck. But you have to get over it.

Guest nini
I think another problem beginners have is that they don't want to spend a lot of time preparing food. I am a great cok but don't really love to cook so when I got diagnosed I had to get over the frustration of having to prepare my food all of the time. I used to be able to just go out when I didn't feel like cooking; we can't do that as much anymore and it does suck. But you have to get over it.

yes, this is the thing, we can no longer just run through any drive through we want and get whatever we are in the mood for and it's frustrating to say the least, but we do have to get over it... I find it's amazing how much money I actually am saving by not going through the drive through and not going out to eat all the time.

frustratedneicey Apprentice

Wow! I didn't expect so many responses. I am so glad I decided to write. Everyone gave some great advice and ideas. I am so appreciative. Though the comment about people who have the most problems with the celiac disease diet have something else going on. You got that right,as I said , I have many more health problems going on and have alot of emotional issues attached with that. That's life, some people deal with life issues different than others. Thank you all for your responses, I will take them all into consideration and practice much of it.

Denise

Ursa Major Collaborator
Take Vitamin D at least 800mg 2-3x day

Don't just take that much vitamin D, without having your levels checked first. Which is a good idea for celiacs, anyway.

As you can see in my signature, pretty much all I can eat is meat, vegetables (not nearly all of them) and fruit (and some of those are no good, like bananas and some melons). I eat meat and vegetables for my main foods (yes, even for breakfast), and fruit for snacks. Now THAT is limited!

But I rarely feel deprived. Especially because now I am off painkillers, I am finally losing weight (have lost 20 lb in six weeks, since going off gluten), and I have actually hope for knowing what it feels like to be well, for the first time in my life!

Of course, now I have to actually cook to even eat breakfast, and some days I just can't get myself to do it. Like yesterday, I had a very busy day and simply had no time for cooking! I ate one meal yesterday, at 4:30 PM, and then fruit for the rest of the day. But I didn't feel like eating anyway, because I must have been glutened somehow the day before and had the runs.

Anyway, instead of concentrating on what you can't have now, and how expensive replacements are, concentrate on what you CAN have, which is still a lot. And as others have said, the naturally gluten free foods aren't that expensive and better for you, anyway. It's all about a positive outlook.

I understand that once you are in the throes of serious depression, it's very hard, and sometimes impossible to get yourself out of that rut, and to learn to have a more positive outlook. Counselling might be needed.

I have seen a counsellor for several months now, because I had let things go for so long, that I was seriously suicidal just a few months ago. It has helped tremendously. I know that most counsellors are expensive. But (depending on where you live) there should be free ones around, payed for by public health.

What I also find helpful is, talking to friends. Try doing something for others, too, it takes your mind off your own troubles. Find somebody worse off than you and help them to put things into perspective.

I hope you will be okay!

Ursula

mightymorg Rookie

The boredom you are having with naturally gluten-free food can be how you are preparing it. You could have a delicious salad of cheap salad greens topped with sliced chicken breast, some pecans, and fruit (apple, strawberries, canned peaches) and a gluten-free dressing. Potatoes are wonderful...I live off of those. Make a soup with potato, celery, onion and diluted chicken broth, by bringing those to a biol until the veggies are soft, blend it up to get it creamy, and top with cheese and whatever other toppings you want.

Also, those fruit and yogurt parfaits from McD's are gluten-free (leave out the granola) and only 1 dollar!

Rusla Enthusiast

I agree, you don't have to starve. The bread may cost a little more but you can get some good bread mixes. You can get vegetables, frozen shrimps, chicken ( I pay a little more for my chicken it is free range no drugs or antibiotics). I make stir frys all the time and have rice with them. I use Tamari soy sauce check to make sure you get the wheat/ gluten free. Check some of the chinese sauces and many do not contain wheat/gluten. Lots of nice fresh vegetables. fruit, refried beans. I make enchiladas with my own sauce on corn flour tortilla's and tacos. I find no problems staying gluten-free because I do have lots to choose from. As long as you aren't into the prepared foods you will do fine. I have celimix pancakes and they are great. Old Tyme or Behive syrups are all gluten-free.

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Well you could adopt an all or nothing attitude and run your life that way. Everyone will be different according to when their celiac disease was caught and how they're built to begin with. Some people will HAVE to stick to a certain diet with serious restrictions - others won't. There's little need to make sugar the enemy. Gluten free donuts, cakes, candies, shakes, chips... whatever you want- are also available to Celiacs who don't have additional food issues. There's no need to pretend we all have to be- your definition of- healthy here just because the topic is gluten intolerance. My kid's celiac disease was dx at age 3... he has NO other food issues. Are those with MORE food issues going to start looking down on those who can eat sugar... corn, dairy, soy, eggs, etc...? Is "diseasism" going to become useful in defining who's got it worse? (((( I'm a better Celiac cuz I don't eat sugar.)))) (((( I'm a better Celiac cuz I have more intolerances and allergies)))).

How about leaving the lectures on "Healthy eating means no sugar" and making "better choices than you" to yourself? There's no need to get *uppity* about foregoing something like sugar or corn syrup just because you have celiac disease. You don't get a badge of honor if you have additional food sensitivities that leave you sick after a eating Kinnikinnick donuts or a Snicker's Bar. I mentioned "tree huggers" and "granolas" because their image reminds me of "extreemists" which is what you are if you go around lecturing others who can eat sugar about how unhealthy it is and how celiac disease is actually a blessing because it forces you to be more in tune with your body and listen to the effects crap has on it .....blah, blah, blah.....

Yeah, right. If you COULD enjoy junk food **IN MODERATION** as I suggested, you would.

Face it.. You and your friends are just pissed off because you CAN'T have sugar. :lol: Stop whining and get off the backs of those who can eat what you can't.

Thank you Claire for your comments here. That was my impression as well, but I held back.

For me, sugar is poison, plain and simple. I cannot eat it, especially refined sugars. However, as I said I've always prefered salted snacks anyway. Every now and then, I get some organic corn tortilla chips, or some rippled potato chips. Both are safe and really give me that "boost". I do have a complaint about the amount of salt though. They always put too much, and I've observed the same brand over time actually increasing the salt. Strange as it may seem, the non-rippled potato chips make me sick to my stomach, even just smelling them, and I haven't noticed low sodium rippled chips in the store yet. I don't have pleasure food very often, and I find that when I do it's much more satisfying than if I have them too frequently. Once every two months or so is probably an accurate figure.

The point is, the more often you have the pleasure foods, the less meaningfull each bite can become. It's like any drug, where over time the person uses more and more to get the same high. Moderation and self control play a part here. I wait 'till I really feel like I "just gotta have my treat" before I go for it. Then I get more "bang for the buck". The same is true for spices and flavorings. I can't tell you how many times I see people pile on the toppings and condements, and I just feel like slapping them silly and saying Don't you realize how much you are putting? I see the same thing in commercials for this stuff too. For example; dips and salsa - They show the people litterally scooping as much onto the chips as possible. There's more dip than chip! It's little wonder why so many americans are grossly overweight.

So your examples of people not exercising MODERATION are relevant to my suggestion of exercising MODERATION ... how? Hey maybe you could fabricate an detailed description of an obese 4 year old waddling down the city streets with a mother holding a grocery bag full of sugary treats, pulling out the treats and handing them to her child every time he finishes the one he's holding.... Yeah... that'd be a good point to make. Don't leave that image out. It's totally relevant. :lol:

The "diet food" industry has taken advantage of the public in a variety of ways too. The very products which are promoted as healthy and/or good for losing weight are just as bad if not worse than the "regular" stuff. They put MSG in tons of stuff, which has been known for many years to stimulate appetite and cause diabetes among other things. It goes into the brain and overstimulates certain areas, actually killing brain tissues. Labs use MSG fed rats in diabetes testing, because rats don't normally get fat or diabetic on their own. Obesity, diabetes, heart disease, cancers, and so many others are modern day diseases, brought on by modern lifestyles and eating habits. The proof is clear, since such problems were not at virtually epidemic proportions even a few decades ago.

BTW, the white stuff in oreo cookies is apparently LARD, sugar, and other things, though the company has never disclosed all the ingredients. They claim it's a trade secret, and the FDA allows this in all kinds of "food" products. Yes, that's right. A company can claim the recipe is a trade secret, and not list the ingredients, and it's somehow allowed by law!

While I certainly understand the emotional benefits to have a treat now and then, I won't sacrifice my health for it. I guess there is a point of compromise though. After all, nothing is 100% good these days anyway. But that's no excuse to be foolish enough to eat total junk. Plenty of real foods are very tasty and satisfying. A person's point of reference makes a huge difference in this, which is why I mentioned earlier how I appreciate the natural flavors of vegetables and such.

I hope the above isn't too much of a rant :)

Very well put. I have nothing to add at this point after all the comments by others on this thread.

Could you be anymore high and mighty? Puh-leeze. I guess this means, that as a parent, I'm "sacrificing" my child when I give him a peppermint patty. :lol: Oh, and I'm "foolish" too for pushing a lifestyle of "junk food in moderation". Well, you're a _______. Enjoy your healthy eating habits and that superior attitude. :D <--- Look, Ma! No cavities! (even though I eat junk food in moderation :blink: )

Archived