This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Guess I Have To Starve?

frustratedneicey

Matilda Enthusiast

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tarnalberry Community Regular

I can't tell you how many times I see people pile on the toppings and condements, and I just feel like slapping them silly and saying Don't you realize how much you are putting? I see the same thing in commercials for this stuff too. For example; dips and salsa - They show the people litterally scooping as much onto the chips as possible. There's more dip than chip! It's little wonder why so many americans are grossly overweight.

hehehe... actually, I'm all in favor of scooping on oodles of stuff - but the healthy stuff. I'll make hummus or salsa and have lots of "dip" with a few chips, because the "dip" in this case is far more nutritious than the corn chips that may be carrying it. :-) It's an easy way to eat three tasty tomatoes with only one serving of corn chips. :-)

Of course, doing that with fatty ranch dressing... not as healthy. :-)

There have been a few interesting articles on "intuitive eating" recently, which is amusing since all it means is paying attention to your body and its signals, eating when you're actually hungry, and not falling prey to emotional eating. That can be a lot to ask people who are used to a totally different way of eating.

And, I guess, by the definitions implied in the post, that I'm a tree-hugging granola. Can't figure out if I'm uppity about it, but the fam certainly loved the food this tree-hugging granola cooked for Thanksgiving, so I think I'll keep goin'. ;-) Maybe it comes from having lived in California too long - it is the land of the fruits and nuts (which are both tasty treats! ;-) ) hehehe! :-P

RiceGuy Collaborator

Not to continue off-topic, but...

I've heard that a lot of yogurt brands don't have much if any of the acidophilus, which is apparently the thing in yogurt that helps the gut. The ordinay old-fashioned kinds apparently do though. As I recall, that's what is listed on the label as "yogurt cultures" or something. It's been awhile since I had any of the stuff. I don't know what the dairy-free ones have.

As for the sugar alternatives, I had always used honey in hot cereals, even as a kid. Though the idea of eating "bee puke" doesn't appeal to me, it is supposed to be healthy in some ways. Those with reactions to pollen might not tolerate it too well from what I understand. Being off that stuff, if I want a bit of sweetener for cream of rice or something (haven't had that in years), I'll either put in a bit of plain unsweetened apple sauce, or a few raisins, which I would allow to soften as the cereal cooled, and sorta chop them up and disperse them. Bananas, peaches, berries, and many other fresh fruits go well here too. Of course I'd add margarine, and sometimes a pinch of salt. This could make a tasty breakfast idea, which I hope makes it not too much off-topic :) Though I like a bigger meal than what is normally thought of as "breakfast". Ever notice how what is recognized as the most important meal of the day is often so tiny and poorly done? Oooops... better not start anything like that here LOL

Getting back to meal ideas, if you don't like a big heavy breakfast, fruit might work for you. Fruit, whether by itself or in cereal or yogurt is yummy, nutritious, and gluten-free. Plus it can satisfy the desire for something sweet (if you're looking for that). There are gluten-free pancake recipes, and for something quick you can make muffins the night before, or make a large batch and keep some in the freezer. I've had leftover pancakes, heated in the toaster, though sometimes they'd get stuck or something, so a toaster-oven is a better idea for that. Cornbread, potato salad, dinner leftovers. Lots of people like pizza for breakfast, which you can make gluten-free of course. I've put pizza slices in the toaster too, but I don't recommend that :) One thing I used to make for breakfast was a giant biscuit, and while that was cooking I'd make some eggs. Toss in some fresh onions just until they get sorta translucent and glossy. Then split open the biscuit, spread on margarine, and stick the eggs and onions in to form a sandwich of sorts. You could add sprouts, cheese, tomato, etc. It works for scrambled eggs too, though the end results are a bit like sloppy joe, as the eggs tend to ooze out while you eat, which in a way is part of the whole experience.

That brings up other areas for making food interesting - those of texture, visual appeal, and aroma. I guess that's one reason why chicken wings, and ribs are so popular even when there's so little meat on them. Holding the food in your hands might somehow contribute to satisfying the brain. It takes longer to eat too, which research shows contributes to feeling satisfied with less. Try to add veggies of different colors to a meal. I've found that doing this is more satisfying, not just for taste, but it looks better. Think about how restaurants cut veggies into shapes, and garnish the plates with parsley and stuff. I use bell peppers (which are yellow and red besides the green ones), carrots, coliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, celery, corn, pearl onions, etc. These help offset all the green stuff, and add different textures too. From what I've heard, 90% of the taste of food is actually perceived via the sense of smell. I think this might account for the main contributing factors of many spices.

Rusla Enthusiast

Just a little added attraction from me. Since going gluten-free I find I no longer crave chocolate, coke or chips. I have my bananas and right now chinese mandarins, pomegranates. I have lost all interest in everything sweet, it tastes far too sweet for me now.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel - if you are avoiding sweets for possible candida reasons, you can still use stevia. It has no sugar in it whatsoever. Nothing for the bad bacteria to feed off of.

It depends on the brand, those that are stronger in the sweet elements have less of a bitter taste. Usually straight stevia will be too much to take, it's best when added in with something else. I don't often use straight stevia, I usually mix it with another sweetener, xylitol or agave nectar for example. But they have carbohydrates in them so you wouldn't want to use them with yeast problems.

Hope this isn't too off topic for some... :)

Stephanie

I actually dont know if I have a yeast problem or not. I just figured with no good bacteria in me and eating lots of sugar and carbs...well wouldnt that give yeast a chance to take over? I dont particularly want that to happen so I'm being catious. I'm not going to be an extremist about it though. I'm still eating fruits. Stevia doesnt feed yeast so I could use it for now. :)

My favourite thing to make at the moment is kefir. Have you tried making that? It's so easy. Just chuck the milk in with the kefir grains and leave it for 24 hrs. You can drink it straight away after that, or I usually leave it another 24 hrs before I drink it, to try to get rid of all the lactose, and it goes a little fizzy and alcoholic. Kefir is supposed to have good bacteria and yeasts which re-populate your bowel, whereas yogurt and probiotics you have to keep taking. I've also been making kefir type stuff from raspberry tea with lemon and sugar- very fizzy and now I'm off wine it gets me nicely off my head. Very tree-hugging - I'll be snorting catnip next. :) Anyway, I think it's doing me some good.

Best wishes,

Matilda

I always wanted to make kefir but never knew where to get the grains. :huh:

WRowland Newbie

Much good advice here. Remember that millions of human beings thru history and today have lived their entire lives without eating any wheat at all. "What one man can do another can do". Listening to your body is the key skill here for all of us, regardless of the nuances added by additional food sensitivities or autoimmune diseases. Unfortunately, there are no short cuts, it's a skill that takes a lifetime of practice to master, and we're all working on it, one day at a time. The first year, and especially the first months are the hardest.

I think that it's impossible to underestimate the emotional contribution. Food is not just nutrition, although for many of us here, nutrition has to become paramount if we want to live instead of die. But knowing that does not allow us to skip the grieving. There is a long, difficult grieving process involved, and surprisingly, it seems that the healthier you are at diagnosis, the longer and harder the grieving. If you've been deathly ill, disabled or have already developed some secondary disease, your choices are clearer. You still don't get to skip the mourning, but it seems to be short and intense with clearer rewards.

Food is also community, memory, comfort, etc. And like any other major life change, requires time and replacement to make a reasonable and permanent transition. And the replacement part is the difficulty, eh ?!! I was warned heavily against a simple grain-for-grain replacement because of a family history of diabetes. So gluten free goodies are a long way off in the future for me. So what can replace the comfort foods? When I need comfort, can I learn to write about it instead of eating about it? Can I stretch about it instead of eating about it? Can I walk, or dance, or yoga about it? I like all of these, but I find dry brushing especially useful because outside skin and inside skin are closely related tissue and wired to the brain in similar ways. Feeding skin-hunger is very close to eating, and it strengthens my immune system instead of weakening it.

I finally read Jax Peters Lowell's "Against the Grain"-found it used for $2. It has oft been criticized because the author is clearly a member of a wealth and social strata I'll never be familiar with. But I find her coping strategies translate well to my life, mostly because they are mostly about self-perception and attitude, not ingredients or services. Especially, the need to grow up and learn to articulate clearly what we need without expecting anyone but ourselves to be responsible for it. I'd summarize it as "Ask, but in the end it's up to you to save your own life". And we could all use some of her sense of humor and manners. Being sick, whatever the cause, doesn't give any of us the right to be barbarians.

We're whole human beings, and we have the choice to use our intelligence and creativity to find elegant solutions that work for us without expecting the universe to revolve around us. And I find that the challenge to use my creativity is a good way to focus on the wide world of healthy and satisfying foods that I can eat, instead of dwelling obsessively on what may have been a favorite but is no longer a life supporting choice for me. The one true advantage that the author wealth affords her is wide exposure to many food styles. But my "daughter of two Army sargents, posted all over creation" childhood did the same for me. I'll literally try anything. Not just once, many times, my personal rule is at least six tries before I give it rest for a year or two. Even then, maybe I'll develop a taste for it later. That has been true so many times in my life, that I never say never.

Hang in there, don't give up, it does get easier with time. It's just such a huge change that takes so much energy in the beginning. Eventually, it just isn't so taxing and you get used to feeling better.

I also find "Morrie, In His Own Words" and "Close to the Bone" very helpful reading, both about coping with major illness. Sometime I need to get the focus off the food and onto strengthening my survival and living my life.

GC1 Rookie

Well, I'm a dirt poor hillbilly, and we've found just about every way there is to save on food. And going gluten-free has actually opened up a whole new world to me and my 'better-half' (she went gluten-free roughly 4 weeks after me)... we compete to see who can think of something new or with a new 'twist'. We've tried/eaten dozens of foods/combinations that easily replace boring wheat/bread, donuts, cookies, etc. And I've been able to actually start enjoying goodies again, instead of watching my gut expand with every bite of garbage made from/with wheat.

We cook from scratch, shop at outlets, buy in quantity, etc... we never stop trying to find ways to save money and eat better. Why do without so the food giants can get richer, and we end up suffering with their junk.

We buy 10lb. bags of chhicken leg quarters, large packs of split breasts, whole birds, and most always when on sale. We get brocolli, collards, Romaine, leaf, and head lettuce at an outlet for less than half the grocery stores. Also canned peas, green beans, etc, and cheeses, eggs, buttermilk, [leaner] market style sausage, fruit, fresh veggies, etc, for much less than regular stores. We found many cheap food items at Dollar General, Big Lots, etc...

One of our new favs is; baked apples or stewed pears/peaches/etc, (gluten-free/low-fat) ice cream, and a topping like caramel, maple syrup, etc... excellent 'treat'. Also; fudge made with low-fat peanut butter, etc... also, chopped up gluten-free candy on top of ice cream or baked apples/pears/peaches/etc... the choices are endless.

We had a great gluten-free Thanksgiving meal... 100% corn meal (cornbread) dressing, gravy thickened with corn starch, non-basted turkey, and _no rolls_!!

GC

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Claire Collaborator
I finally read Jax Peters Lowell's "Against the Grain"-found it used for $2. It has oft been criticized because the author is clearly a member of a wealth and social strata I'll never be familiar with. But I find her coping strategies translate well to my life, mostly because they are mostly about self-perception and attitude, not ingredients or services. Especially, the need to grow up and learn to articulate clearly what we need without expecting anyone but ourselves to be responsible for it. I'd summarize it as "Ask, but in the end it's up to you to save your own life". And we could all use some of her sense of humor and manners. Being sick, whatever the cause, doesn't give any of us the right to be barbarians.

I thought I was being too critical of Jax Peters Lowell. Glad to hear someone else say this. I wrote to someone here on the forum about the fact that Peters affluence is showing. It comes through very strongly and could be a real turn off for someone struggling to manage gluten-free on a budget. And who among us would be likely to be so demanding in a restaurant - unless we had the money to tip at least half the amount of the bill! With a bonus for the chef. She does offer some good advice though so I guess we can tolerate her silver spoon.

Good thoughts here - not just for the one who started the topic. thanks Claire

quantumsugar Apprentice

Being a college student that currently doesn't have the energy to do both work and school, I'm pretty broke too. Most of the time, I stick to whole foods, because I've found that works best with both my budget and my body. I eat lots of fruit and veggies, rice, potatoes, beans, nuts, eggs, and meat. And about the depression... make sure you're not still getting gluten, a multi vitamin helps a lot (your body probably is still having problems absorbing), and if you can, exercise helps so much. And try not to blame yourself and be embarassed/guilty for needing help... it's not the worst thing in the world, and you will get better.

One of the biggest problems I have is having the energy to cook, especially with so much unprocessed foods in my diet; it sounds like you have the same problem. First off, a rice cooker is about $20, and one of the best inventions ever--you can steam veggies, make mini-stews, rice (jasmine rice is really good), pasta, etc. It's a lot less time consuming than regular cooking. Fruits and "easy" veggies are great for grabbing as a quick snack. Here are some of the cheap and easy things I make a lot:

*Potato slices with olive (or other oil): chop up potatoes, pour oil, salt, and pepper on them, toss in the oven for about 45 minutes

*Tortilla wraps: warm tortillas, add mustard, lunch meat, and lettuce, and roll. If you want something that tastes like a club sandwhich, add bacon

*Rice with brown sugar, you can also add butter and milk (or substitute); my mom used to mix sugar and peanut butter together for an easy sugary treat; both of these are super cheap and easy

*Burrito/rice and beans... especially good if you toss in fresh cilantro

*Salads are good, and olive oil and balsalmic works well. You can toss kidney beans on that for protein

*Scrambled eggs and omelettes are pretty good

*Stew: I do this about once a month, and eat nothing else for most of the week: brown meat (I use beef, but that may not be good for the possible MS... I don't know if you would brown other meat) in some oil in a pan, toss into stockpot of water; add peeled garlic (I use the entire head); this replaces the stock. Boil those on low for a 3-6 hours, add in chopped potatoes and carrots for the last half hour, pour over rice (it's not very thick). Add salt and pepper, and it's one of my favorite things I've ever eaten, gets better after being in the fridge for a while, too.

And for gluten-free brands of the foods that I use:

Star Olive Oil, Mission corn tortillas, Grey Poupon mustard, Louis Budding lunch meat, Minute or Mahatma (brown and Jasmine for sure) rice, C&H sugar.

jenvan Collaborator

well, just getting to this post, as i've been out of town, and have skimmed it, hopefully not being to repetitive... frustratedneicey- there are some cheaper gluten-free options for you out there. 1st, go for whole foods, not processed. 2nd, sometimes it is cheaper to do your own bread or dessert baking rather than buying gluten-free baked goods. i will make cookies, brownies etc in bulk, freeze them and then pull them out one at a time to eat when i want. nothing is wasted then. 3rd, you can find gluten-free foods that are some of the brands you probably use now. also, remember walmart has started labeling their gluten-free products with gluten-free, so check into that too. for a start, read below to see a list of manufacturers that will list any gluten source on their label (makes it easier for shopping).

Aunt Nelly’s

Balance

Baskin Robbins

Ben&Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

Country Crock

Dove

Edy’s

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman’s

Hershey

Hormel

Hungry Jack

Jiffy

Knorr

Kozy Snack

Kraft

Libby’s

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Smucker

Stokely’s

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain’s

sweetp Rookie

If you like soups, they are inexpensive to make, and can be really tasty!

I frequently make split pea (my favorite!!), lentil, tortilla, veggie, black bean, etc. If you're a vegan, vegetarian, those are great choices, and there are tons of recipies on the internet. Also, my husband and i do tons of mexican food, (beans homemade salsa, lettuce, and corn tortillas).... um... we also do lots of spaghetti! i love making my own chunky veggie sauce, and the rice noodles are quite inexpensive. If you have a trader Joes, its like $2 for a bag of noodles. Rice is also very inexpensive and you can get tons of great recipes for rice off of the internet... and if you eat potatoes they are cheap! i agree! gluten free food can be soooo expensive~ yesterday, my husband and i drove through portland and went to whole foods market. he wanted to buy me blueberry muffins (they have a gluten-free line) and it was $8 for four muffins!!! sooo expensive! i told him it wasnt fair that gluten-free food has to be soo expensive! but he reminded me that we eat so healthy and we are blessed not to be eating a bunch of processed junk~ :) i agreed. and eating those treats every once in a while (like when we go to portland) makes it much more enjoyable!

Archived