FranDaMan

Are Cheerios gluten-free or not?

Rate this topic

I've been tempted lately to buy Cheerios but I'm wary of their gluten-free claims. The uproar last fall over the recall and the lawsuits seems to have died down yet I'm concerned. A search didn't provide anything more recent so I'm looking to all of you to fill me in. Did I miss something, has this been resolved, or am I right to remain on the sidelines for a while longer? 

Personally I can't do even purity protocol oats BUT even if I could I wouldn't trust gluten-free Cheerios with a 10 ft. pole. You might want to read this & follow the links contained & other articles listed regarding the subject:

http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com/gluten-free-watchdog-statement-on-gluten-free-cheerios/

So far I've had no problems with gluten-free Cherrios and I've been eating them since they started producing the gluten-free line. Generally I will have some reaction to gluten if there is contamination in the product I'm eating. But I'm sure someone has gotten a bad batch or is simply very sensitive to trace amounts of gluten. It's up to each individual to decide whether you want to chance trying them. The article mentioned by squirmingitch sheds light on the problem with anything listed as gluten-free. Contamination can occur at any point in the harvest or processing, and testing may miss it. I also eat Chex, Nature's Path cereals and have tried other brands w/o any problems. I do miss gluten-free Rice Krispies, they made for a nice addition to meat loaf, shame they discontinued the item.

On June 15, 2016 at 9:57 AM, FranDaMan said:

I've been tempted lately to buy Cheerios but I'm wary of their gluten-free claims. The uproar last fall over the recall and the lawsuits seems to have died down yet I'm concerned. A search didn't provide anything more recent so I'm looking to all of you to fill me in. Did I miss something, has this been resolved, or am I right to remain on the sidelines for a while longer? 

I thought it had all died down too so I started buying them for my celiac daughter. 4 boxes were fine. The 5th made her very sick for over a week.  Beware!