Jump to content
  • Sign Up

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

:( out that I need to be on a wheat free diet... for what I eat. I should have lost a ton of weight by now.. and haven't lost a lb... don't understand what is going on... I am on a new med.. with my problems it is colestiprol...??? does this pill have anything to do with this??? plz . help, I am getting really depressed over this..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps you should ask your doctor about the medicine?  Maybe he or she could refer you to a dietician for help with your weight loss.  Just eating wheat free or even gluten free doesn't mean you will lose weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since going gluten free in March, I have gained 5 lbs. I am short so 5 lbs is bad.  I feel your pain.  My Dr. is happy as she feel that it indicates healing.  I do feel better, just bigger.  Sorry I can't offer help.  I am not on meds.  Just supliments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, marycake123 said:

:( out that I need to be on a wheat free diet... for what I eat. I should have lost a ton of weight by now.. and haven't lost a lb... don't understand what is going on... I am on a new med.. with my problems it is colestiprol...??? does this pill have anything to do with this??? plz . help, I am getting really depressed over this..

Welcome marycake :)

There is lot's of support and advice available at this site but it would probably be helpful to others if you could provide a little more detail. Have you been diagnosed with celiac? Has the doctor advised you to go on a wheat free or gluten free diet?

Please share a little more of your symptoms and what the doctor has said and I'm sure you'll get some good advice. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello! 

How long have you been gluten free? A lot of celiac patients gain weight when starting gluten free diets, for various reasons. Surprisingly, many times their diet becomes more unhealthy calorie-wise than it ever was! I am living proof of this. :)

I have several "kick start" diets I recommend to all my gluten-free friends. If you tell me more about yourself and what kinds of foods you like, maybe I can help?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2016 at 5:55 PM, adoreyou said:

Hello! 

How long have you been gluten free? A lot of celiac patients gain weight when starting gluten free diets, for various reasons. Surprisingly, many times their diet becomes more unhealthy calorie-wise than it ever was! I am living proof of this. :)

I have several "kick start" diets I recommend to all my gluten-free friends. If you tell me more about yourself and what kinds of foods you like, maybe I can help?

 

 

Hi! I was diagnosed with celiac 1.5 years ago and have gained 30 lbs since. Prior to diagnosis, I ate whatever I wanted and in excess. Obviously my body was unable to absorb all the calories and nutrients. I did not have symptoms prior to diagnosis (silent celiac) and found out from a blood test. The weight gain is really bothering me. I VERY VERY RARELY eat gluten-free bread, pizza, desserts, etc. I usually stick to naturally gluten-free foods (fresh fruits veggies meat fish) as much as possible but the weight just keeps piling on. I also workout regularly. Do you have any advice or recommendations for a kick start diet? I'm very frustrated with this weight gain. 

Would love and appreciate any help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mily and welcome :)

You've pre-empted my first suggestion, that gluten-free breads, cakes etc are often higher in calories than their gluten filled counterparts.

Maybe as you're healing your body is able to take more of the calories than you did before and you need to adjust either the amount or the kind of things you eat? Have you come across the GI diet? That shifts foods to those more slowly converted into sugar, works well for a lot of people.

ps you may get a better response by starting a new thread!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mily9804 said:

Hi! I was diagnosed with celiac 1.5 years ago and have gained 30 lbs since. Prior to diagnosis, I ate whatever I wanted and in excess. Obviously my body was unable to absorb all the calories and nutrients. I did not have symptoms prior to diagnosis (silent celiac) and found out from a blood test. The weight gain is really bothering me. I VERY VERY RARELY eat gluten-free bread, pizza, desserts, etc. I usually stick to naturally gluten-free foods (fresh fruits veggies meat fish) as much as possible but the weight just keeps piling on. I also workout regularly. Do you have any advice or recommendations for a kick start diet? I'm very frustrated with this weight gain. 

Would love and appreciate any help!

Hi Mily,

Maybe your thyroid is out of whack?  Might be worth checking on.  That being said, I was really hungry for a while after going gluten-free.  It's actually a good thing for many of us to gain weight after going gluten-free.  Often times, people are undernourished with untreated celiac and need extra calories and nutrients to heal.  If you are experiencing increased hunger, it may pass after a while as your body heals and your guts recovers the ability to absorb nutrients properly.  Then your weight may normalize on it's own with decreased appetite.

Hopefully you have had your vitamin and mineral levels checked and are aware of any nutrient deficiencies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mily9804 said:

Hi! I was diagnosed with celiac 1.5 years ago and have gained 30 lbs since. Prior to diagnosis, I ate whatever I wanted and in excess. Obviously my body was unable to absorb all the calories and nutrients. I did not have symptoms prior to diagnosis (silent celiac) and found out from a blood test. The weight gain is really bothering me. I VERY VERY RARELY eat gluten-free bread, pizza, desserts, etc. I usually stick to naturally gluten-free foods (fresh fruits veggies meat fish) as much as possible but the weight just keeps piling on. I also workout regularly. Do you have any advice or recommendations for a kick start diet? I'm very frustrated with this weight gain. 

Would love and appreciate any help!

A thyroid check is a good idea!  If it is not that, you should probably check you totally calorie intake.  It takes a lot to work out and burn off excess calories.   But....what is your current weight/BMI/body fat percentage?  Maybe, you are used to the "old you" that was malnourished.   Maybe you are not really overweight.  Just something to think about.....

I  can relate.  I am heavier now (still normal BMI), but I feel so much better!  I was anemic.  Hard to cycle and run when you can not catch your breath.  But I miss my tiny clothes which have been stored away.  ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...