Rate this topic

I have been on a gluten free, soya free, lactose free and seems like food free diet for 6 months following diagnosed colitis of the bowel and irritable bowel syndrome. I want to get some fish oil but can't find any without soya or gluten. We live in Australia and any help would be gratefully received. I still have dreadful days with trips to the bathroom up to or over 20 times a day which keeps me unable to leave my home. Does anyone else have this trouble I have dealt with this for over 2 years and my patients is nearly completely used up. Would like any input. Suzann

We have a few people on here from Australia but some products might be the same as in the US or Canada?  You might want to check and see if there is an Australian forum or Facebook page for food intolerances  or allergies.

Hi Karen g. Shared some great starting ideas for leads. I cannot suggest a particular brand but can explain my knowledge and why it is a challenge for you.

Fish oils even when processed and molecular distilled etc. Still require an antioxidant to maintain its stability and freshness for shelf life.  In the industry this often is from vitamin E which is commonly derived from soy. While many companies will explain that this is derived from soy and proteins are removed and therefore the consumer should not react, it is individual for the consumer and their sensitivities. 

You can seek a brand that sources vitamin e from sunflower, labeling in the USA (if you choose an American manufacturer or distributor) requires scientific name so in parenthesis after vitamin e it will say Helianthus species type. Those that use sunflower sourced vitamin e also market to non GMO market labeling. 

I worked in the supplement industry for a few years and that is why I am giving you some details to guide you. As many say in this forum if the label changes or label says new formula always recheck the ingredients list/source since it can be more than a market label change. If sourcing material for an ingredient is agriculturally unavailable drought etc things can change in a beloved product formulation.:)

Good luck