Froggymom3

dreading reunion

Rate this topic

I am dreading an upcoming reunion. I am planning to bring a cooler with all my own things to eat so I don't starve. I really don't have a problem with that. The problem is the lack of knowledge of family on celiac. I get looked  and comments along the lines that its just a fad and I'm being picky.  No one is educated and won't listen to me to be educated. Its the in laws side who says grandma has it and eats that and then looks at me like I'm the problem. No caring on how sick I was. No communication with me on what is being served and ideas of what I can eat. It's so frustrating. Ferl so alone

It is an option not to go.  Might not be the best choice, but it is an option.

If you choose to go, just bring something really yummy and some treats.  Then realize that if they aren't rude or nasty about your food, they would find something else to be that way about.  That is just how they are. 

do you have kids?  Just hang out and play with them.  If you don't - hang out and play with the other kids?  If there are other things to do, like hike or play horse shoes, or something, maybe go do that.  Take the host's dog for a walk.    I once went to my husbands big bosses party and sat on the floor in a quiet corner, with my glass of wine and the host's old and sick dog.  He really appreciated that as he loves his dog very much.  If everyone is sitting down to eat at once, maybe you can give someone's baby a bottle over in the shade so they can enjoy their meal or take a squirmy toddler outside of the dining room.  You get points for helpfulness  and they don't see your food to comment on it.  You can eat by yourself later.  I do that sometimes.

I find that a lot of, especially older people, respect a "my doctor said...."  or "my doctor at the Univ of Chicago Celiac center says..."  OK, so, you don't really go to Dr. G at U of C, but.... if you read their website, he does say you must be strictly gluten-free.  And he is sort of a doctor for all Celiacs.  Worked like a charm for my mom.  lol

Also a gruesome description of all the "holes in your intestines" might be good, too.  lol

I think that - knowing it is actually an option to not go - its your choice to go or not - helps me.  If I choose to go, but don't have to, I find I am happier to put up with the inconveniences and stupid people

That's hard.  You can try the "I come to be social,"  "I have serious food allergies", "I only come to drink"...... whatever might feel comfortable.  I know celiac is not an allergy but more people understand if you say celiac is like a severe food allergy.  Do go, have fun.  Don't let food stop you.  Yes, people give looks but honestly they get to know that this is just you and hopefully they will come to accept it.