This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Response From Loreal On Gluten

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Been wanting to color my hair again. I called about ColorSpa temporary and it is safe, and then found this email. Thought others might want the info too.

"The safety of our consumers is our highest priority. As a global leader, the L'Oréal group of companies, which includes L'Oréal Paris, is dedicated to rigorous standards of manufacturing excellence that result in the highest product quality. The products we sell meet the most stringent standards for safety.

L'Oréal Paris Preference and Excellence Creme have not been manufactured using gluten-containing ingredients. However, we must say that we cannot guarantee that materials in our products have not been, at some point in their manufacturing or processing, in contact with a gluten-containing ingredient.

The following list of ingredients that are used in our products, are those that contain wheat and other grains. This list may also be used by the celiac patient to identify gluten-containing ingredients. This list gives the standard industry names for ingredients as found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour

Cyclodextrin

Dextrin

Dextrin Palmitate

Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Maltodextrin

Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch

Wheat Amino Acids

Wheat Germ Glycerides

Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride

Wheat Protein

Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate

Yeast Extract

All the ingredients we use in a product are listed on the package or on the label of the product itself. Comparing this list with the ingredients listed on our products will help you to identify the ingredients you would like to avoid.

If you would like to request an ingredient list for a specific product, please call us at 1-800-631-7358, Monday - Friday, 9 am to 7 pm, ET.

We hope this information is helpful. "

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I use Garnier Nutrisse and have never been glutened--I have used Herbal Essence with no problem too. Deb

jerseyangel Proficient

I called L'Oreal today and the rep. told me that Feria--the kind I use--"has no gluten ingredients whatsoever". I didn't see any on the label--so I went ahead and used it, but its good to know for sure :)

Noelle126 Apprentice

THat's good to know for me a little later in life...I thought about it the last time I colored my mom's hair and I was like "hmmm I wonder if this is Gluten Free"

This consumes my mind way too much! :rolleyes:

bluelotus Contributor

Thanks for posting, I've always wondered about yeast extract.....

Emme999 Enthusiast

Umm... why are you guys concerned about your haircoloring products? :huh:

If they don't get in your mouth you should be fine! Unless you are rinsing them out in the shower and the coloring runs into your mouth -- I don't think you need to worry about it ;)

- Michelle :wub:

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Well Bean--you may be wrong. Some say gluten can be absorbed through the skin and some say it can't. The "cans" are the ones I worry about--I dont take chances.

Open Original Shared Link This about touching it: Open Original Shared Link

Then there are some of us who break out in hives when it touches our skin--so never say never--please! Deb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Umm... why are you guys concerned about your haircoloring products? :huh:

If they don't get in your mouth you should be fine! Unless you are rinsing them out in the shower and the coloring runs into your mouth -- I don't think you need to worry about it ;)

This may not be a concern for you however it is for lots of us. I lost a lot of hair prediagnosis and I get blisters that take months to heal. Frankly I don't care if I do or don't get a gut reaction from topical application, I do get noticeable symptoms. Do you put your hands to your hair? Do you get caught in the rain? Does your hair ever get in your mouth? Many have had problems with symptoms not abating gluten-free and have seen them go away when gluten containing toiletries are eliminated. Just because you don't think you react, and note I said You don't think you react, not that you don't react, don't think we are extremeists to want to eliminate this poison from anything we come in contact with. :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Ravenwoodglass--Right on!! :)

Emme999 Enthusiast
This may not be a concern for you however it is for lots of us. I lost a lot of hair prediagnosis and I get blisters that take months to heal. Frankly I don't care if I do or don't get a gut reaction from topical application, I do get noticeable symptoms. Do you put your hands to your hair? Do you get caught in the rain? Does your hair ever get in your mouth? Many have had problems with symptoms not abating gluten-free and have seen them go away when gluten containing toiletries are eliminated. Just because you don't think you react, and note I said You don't think you react, not that you don't react, don't think we are extremeists to want to eliminate this poison from anything we come in contact with. :)

Sorry if my post came across making you think that I think you're being extreme! I do not think that at all. I got rid of all of my shampoos/lotions/etc. that have gluten in them a long time ago. I just hadn't considered the idea of haircolor getting in your mouth.

AND - I forgot about those who have trouble with skin contact & gluten (dermatitis herp... sorry I can't spell it :)) (Been away from the board too long ;))

Please forgive me! I'm glad you discovered that topical products cause problems for you & I wish you the best in your healing!!

But hey, don't be so quick to react. I have Celiac too! And I know (very intimately) that you might be reacting when you don't realize it. I was asymptomatic for 32 years and then found out I have osteoporosis because of Celiac. I'm as vigilant as you are - I just don't color my hair and if I did, I wouldn't worry about it getting in my mouth because well.. it's haircolor! And about the hands - don't they give you gloves to wear during application? (I color a friends hair and wear the little gloves) And I had thought that once you have applied it and let is set - you rinse the hair (and I would imagine, the gluten too).

But you are absolutely right - if you have a dermatological reaction then you should be extremely cautious of what touches your skin (scalp).

No offense please! I don't think you are an extremist at all. :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor

And I had thought that once you have applied it and let is set - you rinse the hair (and I would imagine, the gluten too).

No offense please! I don't think you are an extremist at all. :)

I didn't take offense, sorry if I came off like I did. The issue with the haircolor for me is that I use a temporary color so it is designed to rinse off a bit at a time with each shampoo. The permanent ones do this to some extent also so my feeling is better safe than sorry. Again sorry if I come off terse, I did not mean to.

Emme999 Enthusiast
I didn't take offense, sorry if I came off like I did. The issue with the haircolor for me is that I use a temporary color so it is designed to rinse off a bit at a time with each shampoo. The permanent ones do this to some extent also so my feeling is better safe than sorry. Again sorry if I come off terse, I did not mean to.

Ahh... temporary haircolor.. that makes perfect sense. I had assumed that you were talking about the permanent stuff. Sorry to have commented without thinking of the possibilities.

You are wise to be extremely careful ;) Last night I was thinking about it and *I* wouldn't use haircolor that had gluten in it either (permanent or not). I don't use anything that contains gluten, and I wont kiss my boyfriend when he uses gluten containing lotions on his face. We're all in the same boat. Nice to meet another person who is as careful as I am ;)

I hope we can be friends! Sorry to have been thoughtless in my first comment.

Matilda Enthusiast

Emme999 Enthusiast

Matilda,

Thank you so much! :) It's nice to be back. Especially now that I'm so much calmer and happier. Hopefully now you guys wont be subjected to the "passion" I so often expressed here before :rolleyes:

Hopefully now I will be able to offer some quality advice that might help someone else to feel as good as I do :)

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Ahh... temporary haircolor.. that makes perfect sense. I had assumed that you were talking about the permanent stuff. Sorry to have commented without thinking of the possibilities.

You are wise to be extremely careful ;) Last night I was thinking about it and *I* wouldn't use haircolor that had gluten in it either (permanent or not). I don't use anything that contains gluten, and I wont kiss my boyfriend when he uses gluten containing lotions on his face. We're all in the same boat. Nice to meet another person who is as careful as I am ;)

I hope we can be friends! Sorry to have been thoughtless in my first comment.

Please don't worry about it, I tend to post kind of 'short and sweet' and at times come off very terse. I apologize for that. We can't see faces here so we lose a lot in understanding. I am glad your doing better, seems miraculous doesn't it? Welcome back, new freind, and best wishes.

Krista

Archived