kareng

CCA Does NOT recommend Cheerios

Rate this topic

http://www.celiac.ca/b/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/CCA_Statement_on_Cheerios.pdf

An excerpt -  " Recommendation The Canadian Celiac Association (CCA) recommends that people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivity DO NOT consume the gluten-free labeled Cheerios products at this time because of concerns about the potential levels of gluten in boxes of these cereals. The CCA is receptive to evaluating any additional information that General Mills is willing to disclose."

5 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

Are the Canadian ones made here in the US?  I thought they sorted out all this when they first introduced them here. 

I think so.  But they have never "fixed" the original problem.

4 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

I though they had and while there was an issue at the beginning, that had fixed it?  Wasn't there a threat of legal action over it?  

Blurg.  Now what to do :( It's become a favorite here. 

They made a mistake and there was a recall.  That was fixed, I hope.  But they haven't changed their method of testing for gluten.  So it appears they are still letting some boxes come through with more than 20 ppm.  I understand that the FDA is getting on them about it.   I don't think they are considered safe for Celiacs, yet.   

This has been a problem for about a year now (since they came out).  And we have had multiple topics/posts about it.  I have seen the warnings in other places on the internet, too.   I really didn't think too many Celiacs would eat them with all the contamination problems they have but I thought it was interesting to see that, now that they will sell in Canada, the Canadian Association has taken note of it.  Not sure why they don't try to ensure  every box is  <20 ppm.  

They've been told over & over & over again how to reliably test their product in the correct manner but they seem to refuse to listen and change their testing methods. 

1 hour ago, kareng said:

And that is a whole other issue!  

lol  Yes, yes it is.  I don't rely on that-just as a side note but if they were serious about keeping that designation, I would think they would crack the whip to MAKE them own up to it.