This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Black And White Cookies

Noelle126

Noelle126 Apprentice

Before going Gluten Free my all time favorite cookie was a Black and White deli cookie (popular in NYC) ...

just wondering if anyone has a gluten-free version...if not I will be trying to somehow concoct one...thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jenvan Collaborator

unfortunately, i wasn't able to find a gluten-free version..but here is a regular Open Original Shared Link that can be converted:

jerseyangel Proficient

Ah--the Black and White cookie, Where I grew up, in Central NY, we called them "Half Moons". Looking at the recipe that Jen found, I bet it could be converted pretty easily.

Guest gfinnebraska

Here is the recipe:

BLACK AND WHITE COOKIES

These dramatic cakelike cookies are a New York City favorite — and we think they deserve a wider audience.

Active time: 25 min Start to finish: 45 min

For cookies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 large egg

For icings

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar

1 tablespoon light corn syrup

2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1/4 teaspoon vanilla

1 to 2 tablespoons water

1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder

Make cookies:

Preheat oven to 350°F.

Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir together buttermilk and vanilla in a cup.

Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes, then add egg, beating until combined well. Mix in flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately in batches at low speed (scraping down side of bowl occasionally), beginning and ending with flour mixture. Mix until smooth.

Spoon 1/4 cups of batter about 2 inches apart onto a buttered large baking sheet. Bake in middle of oven until tops are puffed and pale golden, and cookies spring back when touched, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer with a metal spatula to a rack and chill (to cool quickly), about 5 minutes.

Make icings while cookies chill:

Stir together confectioners sugar, corn syrup, lemon juice, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl until smooth. Transfer half of icing to another bowl and stir in cocoa, adding more water, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, to thin to same consistency as white icing.

Ice cookies:

Turn cookies flat sides up, then spread white icing over half of each and chocolate over other half.

Cooks'note:

• If you can stand the wait, cookies taste better if cooled without being chilled.

Makes about 8 cookies.

Gourmet

February 2002

uclangel422 Apprentice

You guys read my mind.

This months issue of Gourmet has them on the cover and now i have been scouring the web in search of a recipe with no luck.

What would be a good substitute for the all purpose flour?

jenvan Collaborator

I got that issue of Gourmet too--it had some good cookie recipes....

• 2 weeks later...
rma451 Newbie
You guys read my mind.

This months issue of Gourmet has them on the cover and now i have been scouring the web in search of a recipe with no luck.

What would be a good substitute for the all purpose flour?

hi , this looks so good , grew up on these cookies. was eating them 2 x a week when told was celiac.lol the bakery around here does them all chocolate with a creamy type frosting and coconut, or the black and white . loved them with coconut toping.

i am going to do the authentic flour with a little gelatin,

basically it is 1 part rice some tapioca some sweet rice and some corn starch I usually add a little potato starch or potato flour depending on texture I want . the gelatin helps to give it a less grainy texture more cake like , I use 1/4 tsp in my pumpkin bread I converted and its perfect .

ty for recipe im playing tomorrow ,lol.

rosie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived