Madalyn.hope

Breaking out badly and feeling worse after going gluten-free

Rate this topic

I'm on week three of going gluten free and I've started breaking out horribly and my Insomnia and fatigue are much worse. I don't have celiac, just a gluten intolerance and leaky gut, and since cutting out gluten, milk, corn, soy, and most night shades my stomach pain every time I eat has gone away. I've been scanning the boards here, and it seems like fatigue is sometime that sometimes takes people longer to heal then other symptoms, but I haven't seen much about acne. My worry is what if this isn't a detox, but maybe I'm missing something else? Does anyone have any insight? 

My diet manly consisted before of bagels and chocolate, constantly junk food and fast food, I had a horrible diet and my skin looked great. Now I definitely  eating some foods more now, more meat, veggies, fruits, dried fruits, nuts. Most of the things I eat I had someone muscle test me to see if it reacts well with me. My diet is so much healthier now. I'm eating some cheese, but not a ton. 

1 hour ago, Madalyn.hope said:

My diet manly consisted before of bagels and chocolate, constantly junk food and fast food, I had a horrible diet and my skin looked great. Now I definitely  eating some foods more now, more meat, veggies, fruits, dried fruits, nuts. Most of the things I eat I had someone muscle test me to see if it reacts well with me. My diet is so much healthier now. I'm eating some cheese, but not a ton. 

You might want to just eat what makes you feel good.  There is no real scientific evidence that a " muscle test" tells you what foods to eat.  

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Tests/ak.html

Anytime you drastically alter your diet, it can take a while for your body to figure it all out.  

Edited by kareng

i am still avoiding iodine.  and if i eat fish or shellfish, my scalp will break out (i'm assuming because of the ioding)  the same places every time.  takes about a week to clear.  

keep a food journal.  it's tedious, but the best way to figure out what's causing your discomfort.  good luck!

Everyone has different symptoms and lengths of time it takes to heal. If you're only a month or so in it could still take a while for all the symptoms to go away while your digestive system heals and your body adjusts to the changes. It should get better with time. It took months for my symptoms to go away completely