Rate this topic

Hi there

I've asked this question because I don't know if it's safe for my health to work there anymore. I've worked there for a year now and I'm constantly surrounded by food with gluten in as I have to serve it to the customers. Whenever I leave my shift I am always symptomatic and leave with a sore bloated stomach and aches and pains - even when I've eaten nothing from their store all day! 

I am very careful at work - I choose not to eat their because I am aware of their cross-contamination and I am constantly washing my hands. I bring my own lunch into work and the only thing I consume from there is soda such as coca-cola and Fanta. However, as previously mentioned, I still get symptoms. Could this possibly be in my head or should I just leave? I'm desperately in need for money though and I don't know if I will be able to leave suddenly.

You must ingest gluten to get a Celiac reaction.  If you worked where there is flour in the air, like a bakery, you would probably swallow some when breathing.  I doubt you can breathe in gluten at McDonalds.  So maybe you are ingesting it?  I would start looking for another job.

On 07/09/2016 at 4:35 AM, kareng said:

You must ingest gluten to get a Celiac reaction.  If you worked where there is flour in the air, like a bakery, you would probably swallow some when breathing.  I doubt you can breathe in gluten at McDonalds.  So maybe you are ingesting it?  I would start looking for another job.

Thank you that has put my mind at rest a little bit. It just scares me that I could be damaging my health by working there.

5 hours ago, CoeliacSufferer99 said:

Thank you that has put my mind at rest a little bit. It just scares me that I could be damaging my health by working there.

You should probably follow-up with your doctor and have your celiac antibodies checked, even if symptom free.    They should be checked annually (more often if you are newly diagnosed).   celiac disease symptoms can wax and wane.  A blood test might help you figure out if you are truly gluten free while at work.  

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/how-often-should-follow-up-testing-occur/

I worked at mcdonalds for a few years and a wendy's I never had any issues working there. But I've heard some celiac's get sick from the smell of food. Are you maybe putting your hands near your mouth or bite your finger nails after touching this food?  I know even if I have just a drop of gluten it can mess up my stomach.