sella

How do you know that you're healing from celiac disease?

Rate this topic

I've had undiagnosed celiac disease for decades. As a child, I suffered from constipation and still do. After being on a gluten-free diet for 3 years, I'm not sure if I gained 20 lbs due to having a hysterectomy or gluten-free diet at the same time. I know that women often gain weight during menopause. I also still lose lots of hair like I have in the past, but hormone imbalances also cause hair loss. I still have peeling skin. The only new thing I have noticed is that my liver enzymes have gone down to normal range and I'm not as dizzy as I used to be. 

Some people might reply to get a biopsy. I swallowed the camera instead of biopsy. It showed damage to my small intestine that you get with celiac disease. I don't want to have a biopsy, but if the camera test showed less damage, would that mean I was healing? I know when the damage doesn't heal, you have celaic sprue that is more likely the longer you have had undiagnosed celiac.

The big question I have is the celiac blood test. It has always been abnormal until I went on a gluten-free diet. But I think test results will be noraml if you don't eat gluten to have a reaction?

I haven't stopped eating dairy, though. So, I wonder if that's getting in the way of healing.

23 hours ago, sella said:

I've had undiagnosed celiac disease for decades. As a child, I suffered from constipation and still do. After being on a gluten-free diet for 3 years, I'm not sure if I gained 20 lbs due to having a hysterectomy or gluten-free diet at the same time. I know that women often gain weight during menopause. I also still lose lots of hair like I have in the past, but hormone imbalances also cause hair loss. I still have peeling skin. The only new thing I have noticed is that my liver enzymes have gone down to normal range and I'm not as dizzy as I used to be. 

Some people might reply to get a biopsy. I swallowed the camera instead of biopsy. It showed damage to my small intestine that you get with celiac disease. I don't want to have a biopsy, but if the camera test showed less damage, would that mean I was healing? I know when the damage doesn't heal, you have celaic sprue that is more likely the longer you have had undiagnosed celiac.

The big question I have is the celiac blood test. It has always been abnormal until I went on a gluten-free diet. But I think test results will be noraml if you don't eat gluten to have a reaction?

I haven't stopped eating dairy, though. So, I wonder if that's getting in the way of healing.

They usually do the endoscopy to get a biospy.  Celiac damage is usually microscopic, to the camera can't see it.  If you have high Celiac antibodies and they can actually see the damage, and you antibodies go down on a gluten-free diet -  then it sounds, to me, like you have Celiac.  Celiac Sprue is the old fashion name for Celiac.  It is the same thing.  

Just now, Pineapple said:

Why am i losing so much hair.  Ive always had thick long hair.  Lots of it. Its coming out every day.  Help someone@

I commented on your other post, too.  Please start your own topic and explain your situation and we can see if we can help.