Misscshell24

Gluten withdrawal help

Rate this topic

Make sure you are eating a balanced diet with protein and carbs.  Sometimes people drastically change the basics and that can mess you up.  For example if you ate a lot of bread, you may want to find other carb sources.  

1 hour ago, Misscshell24 said:

Hi, newly gluten free and looking for help, tips, advice during the withdrawal phase. Anything to speed up the process or help with symptoms and what to expect and for how long, please. Day two and have migraine, nausea, and dizzy.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, kareng said:

Make sure you are eating a balanced diet with protein and carbs.  Sometimes people drastically change the basics and that can mess you up.  For example if you ate a lot of bread, you may want to find other carb sources.  

1 hour ago, kareng said:

Hi!  I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease eight weeks ago.  I have been gluten free for about eight weeks.  The first 4 weeks were rough!  I was dizzy, experiencing vertigo (spinning sensations), headaches, and continuous diarrhea.  I asked my doctor about my symptoms and she said the body is trying to get used to not having gluten.  I was also a chronic migraine sufferer prior to going gluten-free.  I can honestly say that at about 5-6 weeks gluten-free, I was starting to feel better!  I am continuing to feel better each day!  Hang in there and be patient!  You will soon start to feel relief!  ?

Edited by Jensy

Thank you. My son has celiac and with my symptoms it was expected, so have been tapering off while awaiting test results and finally got them Friday. It's been 9 years since my son was diagnosed and he was just three years old and non-verbal autism at the time (he's verbal now), so vaguely remember what it was like for him. I also was just diagnosed with hashimotos so doc is recommending stopping soy and dairy as well, and I'm a vegetarian. Not sure if I am going to do it all at once or one at a time, haven't been tapering off dairy or soy as that one was not expected. Thanks again for the tips and encouragement!

57 minutes ago, Jensy said:

Hi!  I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease eight weeks ago.  I have been gluten free for about eight weeks.  The first 4 weeks were rough!  I was dizzy, experiencing vertigo (spinning sensations), headaches, and continuous diarrhea.  I asked my doctor about my symptoms and she said the body is trying to get used to not having gluten.  I was also a chronic migraine sufferer prior to going gluten-free.  I can honestly say that at about 5-6 weeks gluten-free, I was starting to feel better!  I am continuing to feel better each day!  Hang in there and be patient!  You will soon start to feel relief!  ?

Welcome to the forum!  

The good news is that you have the gluten free diet down.  That is half the battle, so your recovery should be much faster than most.  Many celiacs commonly have isues with dairy.  I did.  But with intestinal healing, now I can eat any dairy.  You might not really have any dairy issues at all.  Everyone is different.  I spent 20 years consuming soy.  Not sure if it actually affected my thyroid, (I read lots of things against it, but since I could not consume dairy, I chose to remain on soy).  My thyroid (Hashi's) has healed (nodules are gone and my thyroid size is normal).  Not sure if it was due to being gluten-free or giving soy.  

Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks, Cyclinglady. Interesting. I've been reading up online and read hashi's and celiac often go hand in hand, so I was wondering if anyone else with the same might comment. I just started seeing a functional med doc and she said for sure no gluten or soy and with dairy it's 50/50, some do ok and some don't. So for sure no more gluten, then may finish eating what I already have in the house that's soy and dairy and not buy any more. I've been very ill for over two years so don't want to shock my system too much and also don't want to go through three withdrawals (gluten, soy, and dairy). Idk, we'll see. While I was tapering off gluten I also stopped eating processed foods and preservatives and also switched all my personal and household products to natural and gluten free, so over all think these are all changes for the best and hopefully I'll be feeling better soon. 

Misschell24 - I have both Hoshi and Celiac.   I have not given up soy it was never suggested and I don't seem to have a problem with it.   Dairy for me is iffy.  I am lactose intolerant, I use lactaid milk and if I do have icecream or something with milk in it I take a Lactaid chewable tablet first, and this seems to solve all my issues.     Of course going gluten free usually means a lot more whole foods and fewer processed foods, so maybe by default I am consuming less soy and dairy but I don't  go out of my way.    Please do whatever makes you feel better, I am just giving you my experience.  

Thank you very much every one that took the time to write, it is greatly appreciated. 

Alwayssomething, interesting about the lactose and lactaid, I will keep that in mind. I am a vegetarian so have quite a bit of soy. Yesterday my joint pain was gone for the first time in months, not sure why and it was amazing, but it is back today. Think I may try going off gluten, soy, and dairy for 3 months, of course stay off the gluten, but maybe re-add the soy and dairy one at a time and see if there's a difference. So much info on different diets and everyone reacts differently, it's hard to know what to do and may change the game plan a few times along the way, lol, but I'll get there. 

Hang in there! It's such a misconception that you'll feel better instantly after cutting out gluten. It's super important to heal your damaged gut lining, too. I found acupuncture, naps and Epsom salt baths really helpful when I first went gluten-free. My poor body was so overwhelmed!

Gluten withdraw can be rough, and is different for everyone, but hang in there and you will start feeling better! It took a few weeks for the bad symptoms to subside and I keep getting better as time goes on. Just be careful not to consume anything with gluten after going gluten-free. Never assume anything is gluten-free without checking the ingredients and doing the research. I made that mistake and had to go through the whole process again.

Drinking water helped me through it. It helped in multiple ways. I feel like it probably flushed out my system, it's good for you anyway, and I used it as kind of a placebo. I kept telling myself I'll feel better if I drink more water and eventually my brain made the connection and it works as kind of a soothing mechanism. 

Hope you feel better soon!