This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Froggymom3

Froggymom3 Rookie

Hello. It's 1:43am I was awoken with sick feeling. I started vomitting and had the worst stomach pains and diarrhea.  I have been gluten free for 8 months due to positive blood tests. I was doing really well and haven't been sick like this since before I switched to gluten-free. What I'm wondering is if anyone knows if old el paso taco sauce is gluten-free? I've used the dry spice before without any problem but used the sauce today. Or if pumpkin seeds are gluten-free bought in shelled package. Thats the only thing different I ate today. I was working with "real flour" yesterday when I made my family perogies.  But ive worked with it before and never had drastic issues. All I know is the pain is awful.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Mshell Newbie

I would also love to know! I have been diagnosed Celiac for about 5 months. I have had a few "wake up sick stomach in so much pain I feel like I have to go to hospital and almost vommiting  feeling" crazy when you cut it all out and get cross contaminated we feel it worse than the normal flu! I will watch to see what kind of response you get on those items and if it was maybe something else! Good luck! 

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Gluten reactions can be delayed so it isn't always the last thing you ate or came into contact with that got you. So look over what you have eaten for the last couple days.

It is not a good idea for any of us to work with gluten flours. Flour can become airborne and be inhaled and get into the system that way.

For the pumpkin seeds call the maker and ask if they use gluten flours on items that are run on the same line.

Also check with other family members and see if maybe someone 'forgot' and used your butter, nut butter etc.

I hope you feel better soon. The severity of your reaction is your bodies way of trying to protect you. Liquid Pepto Bismal may help with stomach pain and if you have D Immodium may be useful if you need to leave the house. If you don't have to use it I wouldn't as you want your system to clear itself as quickly as it can.

kareng Grand Master

I use old El Paso sauces.  Just read the labels and they have been fine.  Not my favorite.

Breathing and swallowing the flour would be enough to gluten me!  I wouldn't be looking for a tiny, maybe , amount in the seeds.  You actually swallowed wheat flour.

squirmingitch Veteran

No one with celiac should be using "real flour" at any time. You inhale it & that's all she wrote. It also hangs in the air for hours. No one in your house should be working with wheat flour at any time. Not making gravy, cookies, cakes, pasta or anything else out of it.

Froggymom3 Rookie

Thanks everyone. Maybe then it is making the perogies that did it. There was nothing else eaten that I didn't make or know about in the last few days so must be working with the wheat flour. Which sucks as I've of liked to of been able to continue to bake for my kids, regular buns and stuff. The gluten-free ones I make are good but not good enough for them. I guess I'll have to buy theirs or sweet talk my mom into making my recipies for them. It's so frustrating living with this. I will continue to try every gluten-free recipie I can till I have a book of favorites. I love to bake!

deb-rn Contributor

I love to bake as well.  My recipes are as good or  better than the non-gluten ones, so no one ever complains about eating  MY  food.  Flour in the air will continue to fall on the counter, food sitting out, etc for some time.  I wouldn't have it in my house.... period!  The more you heal, the more sensitive you become to that "little bit of gluten".  I found the most amazing recipe for hush puppies recently!  And the leftovers froze well, so I can have them on hand for a quick meal add on anytime!  I have a huge binder of gluten-free recipes!  The internet is my friend!

Debbie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Christine1962 Newbie

I am extremely sensitive to gluten. I get ataxic and my voice slurs, have DH. I am mostly plant based but sometimes eat "vegetarian fed hen eggs"--Yesterday I had my usual plain brown rice with La Choy gluten free soy sauce and then later I had a three eggs with corn tortillas...later on in the day, I started slurring my words and bumping into things. I did a little research is that a big chunk of a hens diet is WHEAT. I don't know if that is what made me react but I can't think of anything else. Any thoughts?

Nikki2777 Community Regular

Most likely it was the flour, as everyone has said -- as for me, there is no more regular flour in my house.  I bake often with gluten-free 1-1 flours, and the kids love what I make, but I don't try and make buns or anything like that, mostly cookies and brownies.  I stopped using regular flour when I watched it float up out of the mixing bowl and land all over the counter when blending.

However, I just want to add that I find pumpkin seeds difficult to digest.  This started before I had active Celiac, as far as I can tell.  That may have added to the difficulty.

Gemini Experienced
On 9/21/2016 at 8:38 AM, Christine1962 said:

I am extremely sensitive to gluten. I get ataxic and my voice slurs, have DH. I am mostly plant based but sometimes eat "vegetarian fed hen eggs"--Yesterday I had my usual plain brown rice with La Choy gluten free soy sauce and then later I had a three eggs with corn tortillas...later on in the day, I started slurring my words and bumping into things. I did a little research is that a big chunk of a hens diet is WHEAT. I don't know if that is what made me react but I can't think of anything else. Any thoughts?

We do not have to worry about what animals eat in their diet as this will not cause a Celiac reaction.

“Grain-fed beef is fine. Before protein is absorbed it’s broken down into single amino acids or very short peptide fragments-no longer gluten.” — Tricia Thompson MSRD

• 1 month later...
Christine1962 Newbie

Thanks for pointing that out. I just learned about things that are cross reactive with gluten--that have a similar protein structure and the body reacts as if it is a gluten protein: the list of cross reactors includes:

Eggs, coffee most other grains corn, potato, rice, yeast, chocolate coffee, corn, butter soy, eggplant, bell pepper and chili pepper and tomatoes. Son of a !!!!

This explains a lot. I would be faithfully gluten-free and still have DH flare ups when I certain things. So I just ate sprouted rice with beans, fruit and oolong tea--and I was fine. Then last week I tried this weight loss coffee called SlimRoast which worked UNBELIVABLE (LOST 3 POUNDS IN 2 DAYS) I was eating potato soup with lots of chili paste and soon I noticed I was depressed, I couldn't focus and began to feel that crawling flesh thing I get when I know I have been glutened. 

I did more research on how I could love my body and read about glutamine:

"Glutamine is also a critical part of our digestive system. It is the primary nutrient for the cells of the intestinal lining where it helps regulate cellular reproduction. Through this mechanism, Open Original Shared Link helps prevent and rebuild a leaky gut which is common in people with inflammatory and auto-immune conditions. For this reason glutamine supplementation has been shown to be very effective in individuals with ulcerative colitis, CELIAC DISEASE, Crohn's disease, & irritable bowel syndrome."

So now have removed everything but the sprouted rice, back on fruit and beans and have added those things that are high in glutamine. Since I eat plant based I can't get glutamine from meat so lots of raw spinach beets parsley cabbage celery kale brussel sprouts and especially red cabbage --in salads and smoothies.

So hopefully I am on the mend--miss my weight loss coffee but its not worth getting sick over.

kareng Grand Master
11 minutes ago, Christine1962 said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I just learned about things that are cross reactive with gluten--that have a similar protein structure and the body reacts as if it is a gluten protein: the list of cross reactors includes:

Eggs, coffee most other grains corn, potato, rice, yeast, chocolate coffee, corn, butter soy, eggplant, bell pepper and chili pepper and tomatoes. Son of a !!!!

This explains a lot. I would be faithfully gluten-free and still have DH flare ups when I certain things. So I just ate sprouted rice with beans, fruit and oolong tea--and I was fine. Then last week I tried this weight loss coffee called SlimRoast which worked UNBELIVABLE (LOST 3 POUNDS IN 2 DAYS) I was eating potato soup with lots of chili paste and soon I noticed I was depressed, I couldn't focus and began to feel that crawling flesh thing I get when I know I have been glutened. 

I did more research on how I could love my body and read about glutamine:

"Glutamine is also a critical part of our digestive system. It is the primary nutrient for the cells of the intestinal lining where it helps regulate cellular reproduction. Through this mechanism, Open Original Shared Link helps prevent and rebuild a leaky gut which is common in people with inflammatory and auto-immune conditions. For this reason glutamine supplementation has been shown to be very effective in individuals with ulcerative colitis, CELIAC DISEASE, Crohn's disease, & irritable bowel syndrome."

So now have removed everything but the sprouted rice, back on fruit and beans and have added those things that are high in glutamine. Since I eat plant based I can't get glutamine from meat so lots of raw spinach beets parsley cabbage celery kale brussel sprouts and especially red cabbage --in salads and smoothies.

So hopefully I am on the mend--miss my weight loss coffee but its not worth getting sick over.

Gluten Cross-reactive foods is some sort of odd internet myth.  It started with a company that wanted to sell bogus medical tests.  They have even admitted that the coffee thing isn't true - they used gluten contaminated instant coffee.  However, you have to look at the small print in a lot of nonsense in a large binder of stuff to find that fact.  I did it with one of their company reps.. anyway....

If coffee bothers you, it may just be that it is hard on your system.  Maybe you can get it back after some healing.  And it doesn't sound like you had much protein that week.

edit - just looked at the ingredients- that isn't just coffee - who knows what part of it bothered you?  ingredients on GMO Dark Roast Coffee, Chlorogenic Acid, Garcinia Cambogia 95%,Phaseolamin, Cassiolamine Green Tea 100:1 Extract, Ginseng 100:1 Extract, L-Carnitine with Chromium.

Christine1962 Newbie

Yeah, I looked for real scientific studies on gluten cross activity and couldn't find any. I did read something about barely being found in instant coffee--so who knows.

kareng Grand Master

I have to tell you that, about 3 years ago, I went to the International Celiac Disease Symposium.  The coffee cross-reactive myth was discussed as we were all consuming vast quantities of Starbucks coffee provided by the Sheraton.  Needless to say, it was good for a laugh.

Open Original Shared Link

Archived