oxflm2016

New and Rapidly Progressing Food Intolerances

Rate this topic

A few months before my 22nd birthday and college graduation (late March), I started noticing daily GI issues including gas, bloating and diarrhea .  I passed most of this off on the quality of the food at my school's dining hall, but once I moved out, the symptoms did not cease.  In April, I went in to see the school nurse for a UTI, and as part of standard procedure, they sent the test offsite for further analysis.  Later that week I received an email from the Nurse Practitioner that I had also tested positive for E. Coli, but the MacroBid I had been prescribed for the UTI should also work on the E. Coli.  (Maybe of note, I was in Belize, Mexico, and Honduras for a week in early March).  Took the antibiotics, and symptoms did not resolve.  After graduation, I went on the Whole 30 diet to cut out soy, grains (including gluten), and dairy (I have been mildly lactose-intolerant for over a decade).  My symptoms almost all but disappeared.  After, I went back to eating indiscriminately, and my GI issues seemed to worsen exponentially.  In July, I went to my GP and ended up doing a stool sample so she could have me tested again for E. Coli, but the test was negative. I have tried for the most part to cut gluten and dairy from my diet, but now even other grains, such as rice, give me problems where I had none in the past.  Garlic is also a new problem, and has my gut feel like a gurgling hot tub.  Just this past week (Mid-September), chicken pan-fried in coconut oil (with which I cooked during the Whole 30 program without issue) seems to have me running to the bathroom about 30-60 min after consumption.  In the past month, eggs are giving me trouble as well.  I'm scheduled to see a GI in DC in October, but looking for relief and advice in the mean time.  My symptoms range from gas to diarrhea to abdominal pain, but have never included constipation.  (Maybe of note, I had a strange rash on my nose that took several week to heal recently, closely resembled rug-burn, scabbing, and neosporin seemed to help a bit, but its still not back to normal).  Any advice would be very welcome!

Good question RMJ.

oxlfm2016, You should be tested for celiac disease. Make sure you continue to eat gluten until ALL testing is finished! This is imperative!

In the meantime, try eating only well cooked veggies, and meats. Even fruits should be well cooked. Easier to digest and much kinder on your tummy. Also take probiotics. Generally lactose intolerant people can eat yogurt without issue but there are non dairy probiotic capsules such as one that Culturelle makes. Bone broth is great for helping to heal the gut, is super easy on the digestion and extremely nourishing but I'm not talking about something from a can. I'm talking about making it from scratch.

http://www.bonappetit.com/test-kitchen/common-mistakes/article/common-mistakes-bone-broth

Stay away from spices like garlic, red peppers, chili peppers & so forth. Drink tons of water.

You have enough symptoms to warrant an investigation into celiac disease. Make sure the doc does a FULL serum panel. Here it is:

Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
Total Serum IgA 

Also can be termed this way:

Endomysial Antibody IgA
Tissue Transglutaminase IgA 
GLIADIN IgG
GLIADIN IgA
Total Serum IgA 
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG

INSIST on the full panel! Some people test negative on the screening (which is just 2 of the above) so don't let yourself be dropped down that rabbit hole.

It could be celiac disease....but it would be impossible to get tested if you have eliminated gluten from your diet.  A blood test requires 2 to 3 months of consuming gluten daily.   Finding parasites can be tricky.  I would keep pursuing it.  Find a good GI.  

I wish you well.  

12 hours ago, squirmingitch said:

Good question RMJ.

oxlfm2016, You should be tested for celiac disease. Make sure you continue to eat gluten until ALL testing is finished! This is imperative!

In the meantime, try....

This was SO helpful, thank you for the thoughtful response!

Edited by oxflm2016

CyclingLady,

Thank you for your response.  I am hesitant to introduce too much gluten since it causes severe gut distress, so how little can I get away with per day whilst still ensuring that I will have accurate tests?  Would two Saltines be ok? That sounds measly, but it's likely enough to have a noticeable impact.

2 hours ago, oxflm2016 said:

This was SO helpful, thank you for the thoughtful response!

Oh you're so welcome!

2 saltines per day should be enough. See:

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-is-a-gluten-challenge/

Many people find it easier (if there really is an "easy":rolleyes:) to eat the gluten before bed. The idea there is that the "worst" of the symptoms happen while you're sleeping so when you get up in the morning it's not as bad throughout the day.

@squirmingitch,

That's a great idea, I was slightly dreading having to voluntarily induce symptoms before or during work! a cracker or two before bed seems managable.  I appreciate the UChicago link as well, it's always nice to see a medical instution advocating for something I'm going to do that hasn't been prescribed by a doctor.

You're welcome. That's a great site BTW although I find it a bit crazy to navigate at times.