auroracase

Severe heartburn - gluten withdrawal?

Rate this topic

Hello everybody, I'm new to the forum but am so happy to have found somewhere where people living with coeliac can share their thoughts!

I've only been gluten-free for two weeks.  About three days in, I started experiencing awful heartburn which hasnt let up and I'm wondering if anyone else had this after giving up gluten? It wasn't a typical symptom for me before so feeling very uncomfortable.  I am not due to see my gastro consultant again until December and my GP (who was about as helpful as a chocolate teapot!) just gave me lansoprazole (its a PPI) which isnt even touching it.  Just wondering if giving up gluten is unmasking other symptoms or if this is a normal or common withdrawal effect?  I feel like burping/belching could help but its something I've never been able to physically do. Im in my early 30s so hoping its not another thing...

Any advice would be appreciated

A

Sure, if you are feeling better from the Celiac, now you might notice other things you didn't before.  

a very real possibility is that you have changed your diet and are now eating something you didn't eat much of before.  Or you are eating larger or smaller amounts of protein or fiber....that sort of thing

Try to stick to a whole foods diet.  Things like unseasoned stew, soup, etc.  Things easy-to digest, preferably not processed by a anyone except you.  Too often new celiacs start using gluten-free foods (cookies, bread, crackers).  Your body is not used to these grains and they often contain lots of junk.  For example, I react to Xantham gum.  It does not bother my gluten-free hubby, but it gets me every single time!  

Did you read our Newbie 101 thread under "Coping"?   It contains lots of valuable tips.  Make sure those meds are gluten free.  Supplements too.  

I hope you feel better soon!  

Edited by cyclinglady