Rate this topic

I have been living in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, for two years, and finding gluten-free food is proving more difficult than I thought, even if I am cooking my own food. Wheat flour, called "bot mi" in Vietnamese, seems to creep into a lot of stuff nowadays. What's more, manufacturers do not feel it is important to list bot mi in the ingredients on a food's packaging unless it is a principle ingredient in the food. In other words, soy sauces or wraps with just a tiny bit of wheat flour added to add a touch of thickness or pliability are not guaranteed to list the ingredient. For some genetic reason, Vietnamese people are not nearly as susceptible to food allergies as Westerners - it probably has something to do with exposure to less hygenic foodstuffs having built up an immunity over hundreds of years - so it is not really considered important to split hairs in that department over here.

Anyway, I love rice paper but have often gotten glutened by it when I have it. Can any celiac who could tell if a product had gluten by more than just the ingredient list on the back let me know a definitively gluten-free rice paper brand? I know that very few rice paper brands actually list wheat flour in the ingredients, but I don't 100% trust the ingredients list for products made by Vietnamese companies. Call me paranoid.

By the way, I have a neurological condition that irreversably breaks down my immune system when I ingest gluten, so I don't want to experiment with trial by fire here.